Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of numbers does your team have out?
Today marks the official start of the high school football season and I am just wondering how big of a team everyone's school has out for the first day. I know some kids may be on vacation still or you may have some late bloomers that come out when school begins. Any info would be appreciated. Best of luck to everyone this year.
Somerset will have around 30-40 players out this year.
I would say Johnson Central would have around 80 kids at least.
Russell will be between 60-70 for grades 10-12.
Somerset had 38 at practice today and a few were not there due to Goveners(sp?) Scholars and couple just didn't show up.
Betsy Layne has 28 but will have a few come out when school starts and will lose a few because football might not be for everyone.
Johnson Central had 70 kids out today.
For the first day having 70 kids out is impressive for JC. That just shows you what kind of dedication they have to their program and I'm sure its going to pay dividends in the near future. Any one else know exactly how many kids came out today for their high school team.
Counting the freshemen, Pikeville had 44 out today.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Counting the freshemen, Pikeville had 44 out today.
That is a pretty solid number for Pikeville. I would say all Class A schools in Eastern, KY would take 44 players out.
bball fan Wrote:That is a pretty solid number for Pikeville. I would say all Class A schools in Eastern, KY would take 44 players out.
I think there was a few on vacation that will be playing as well.
From What I Understand Estill Has About 45 Out For Practice... Most Likely That Will Change Before The Season Starts Though
We had 38 out today at East Ridge.
Fleming has 50 right now with a few others missing for various reasons. They expect to have around 55 for the season.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I think there was a few on vacation that will be playing as well.
Like I said on another thread...if kids take a vacation the week of July 15 then they are not very serious about football so I don't think you should be counting on those kids!!
CoachB Wrote:We had 38 out today at East Ridge.
38 kids out at the fourth biggest school in 3A. C'mon coach I know you can get more kids out than that.
bball fan Wrote:Like I said on another thread...if kids take a vacation the week of July 15 then they are not very serious about football so I don't think you should be counting on those kids!!
For some kids that is the only time that their parents may be able to go on vacation. I'm not saying I agree with it but it happens sometimes. Any kid with enough gall to actually go out for football and stick it out is a kid that I could count on.
Many are on vacation. I'll pick up more next week and when school starts. Remember, I have only been there two days.
bigpun Wrote:38 kids out at the fourth biggest school in 3A. C'mon coach I know you can get more kids out than that.
ashland has only had about 40 come out both days
Leslie's got 40 out this year.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I think there was a few on vacation that will be playing as well.
Vacation???
You're kidding me....Everyone knows when football practice starts.
Don't give me the "it's the only time the parents could go"...if an athlete is serious about football they will make arrangements to be at practice, period.

I can remember a time if you missed any of the July practices for reason other than injury that you just moved on to basketball, Neither the football coach nor the football team had a need for a part time player that is not fully committed to the team and to the preparation needed to play for a championship caliber program.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Vacation???
You're kidding me....Everyone knows when football practice starts.
Don't give me the "it's the only time the parents could go"...if an athlete is serious about football they will make arrangements to be at practice, period.

I can remember a time if you missed any of the July practices for reason other than injury that you just moved on to basketball, Neither the football coach nor the football team had a need for a part time player that is not fully committed to the team and to the preparation needed to play for a championship caliber program.

A Kid that has been dedicated in the off season misses 1 or 2 days at the beginning of the season for a family vacation should not just "Move onto basketball" or be labeled as a part time player.
Some kids also realize that football isn't everything and that their family could be gone any time so they take the chance on missing a few days of practice to spend time with their family away from home any time they can, not all of the kids around here are going to the nfl, they don't have to be dedicated 24/7.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Counting the freshemen, Pikeville had 44 out today.
does that include the 8th graders that will play freshman ball?
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Some kids also realize that football isn't everything and that their family could be gone any time so they take the chance on missing a few days of practice to spend time with their family away from home any time they can, not all of the kids around here are going to the nfl, they don't have to be dedicated 24/7.
What a pitiful post!! Football players have had since late May until July 15 to take a vacation with their family. The KHSAA even made a 2 week dead period to help out with this problem. If a kid is serious about football then he won't be on vacation right now...period!!! It has nothing to do with loving your family!!!
Panther Thunder Wrote:does that include the 8th graders that will play freshman ball?
If I am not mistaken, 8th graders can't play in games or practice with the freshmen!!
bball fan Wrote:If I am not mistaken, 8th graders can't play in games or practice with the freshmen!!
i thought i saw in the middle school thread that they were playing up but guess not lol.
bball fan Wrote:If I am not mistaken, 8th graders can't play in games or practice with the freshmen!!
Well you are mistaken. The eighth graders as of right now will be playing up with the freshmen. They will have their own full schedule. The 7th graders and some eighth graders will play the Jr. High schedule. Nothing illegal about it.
bball fan Wrote:What a pitiful post!! Football players have had since late May until July 15 to take a vacation with their family. The KHSAA even made a 2 week dead period to help out with this problem. If a kid is serious about football then he won't be on vacation right now...period!!! It has nothing to do with loving your family!!!
My family would NEVER even consider going on vacation during sports! Not that I would want to anyways, but just like when it is All Stars, how does parents plan a vacation during sporting events or during season? Just blows my mind! Of course sports is and was my life along with my entire family!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:My family would NEVER even consider going on vacation during sports! Not that I would want to anyways, but just like when it is All Stars, how does parents plan a vacation during sporting events or during season? Just blows my mind! Of course sports is and was my life along with my entire family!

What if... your child plays all-stars and they make it to the state tourney? You would HAVE to miss football practice then. Granted, my child is not going to the state all-star tourney and he works out everyday, but I would like (myself) to hit the beach for a few days!! Another "holdup" so to speak on my familys vacation is my hubby. He CAN NOT take vacation when everyone else does and usually has to wait until the last week of July. Its the position he holds at work and he has no control over it.

Personally, I don't feel that the kids should be held responsible if they miss 1 or 2 practices due to their parents schedules. THAT is beyond their control! (REminder:::: They don't pay the bills)... LOLOL...... I do however not see them missing the entire summer (before school) workout and then come in and expect to start!!! IF the parent is a dedicated sports parent and they want their child to participate they will make sure that if they are not "vacationing" that their child is at practice/workouts with bells on!!! If you have to force them to go then their heart isn't in it!! Sorry about the sermon guys!!!!!