Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small School Rankings (Class A to AAA)
This is a ranking of the 3 smallest classes. I'm going to do one for the 3 biggest classes, also. This is just my opinion and intended to get some banter going, so, would like to hear other opinions, agree, disagree, do your own, who's being left out or just add your thoughts.. Here's how I'd have them ranked to start the season.

1) Mayfield
2) CAL
3) Belfry
4) Desales
5) Pikeville
6) Beechwood
7) Bell Co
8) Somerset
9) Ashland
10) Breathitt Co
11) Taylor Co
12) Raceland
13) E' Town
14) Tilghman
15) LCA

Fire away. Let's hear it.
Looks fair to me.
I would say a lot of people weigh too much on what happened last year and not what is this year. You are doing the same. I would put CAL further down the list. They lost their all everything weapon and others. They also lost their coach. A first year coach does not get this team ready that quick, even if he was great as a player at PT.
Pikeville also would not be ahead of Beechwood, LCA, Somerset or Etown.
mysonis55 Wrote:Pikeville also would not be ahead of Beechwood, LCA, Somerset or Etown.

Confusednicker:
I don't argee Mayfield shouldn't be number 1. You can say last year doesn't matter well that how you gage a poll if the new season hasn't started yet i would say

Cal
Belfry
Mayfield

But this year i look to see Mayfield winning 2a now that Cal has moved up and schools like Danville are down
But Beechwood can win it as well they have one of the best coaches in the state as well as Mayfield
mysonis55 Wrote:Pikeville also would not be ahead of Beechwood, LCA, Somerset or Etown.

Just when I have a little faith in you 55, You make a comment like this..........Pikeville is for real :truestory:
64SUR Wrote:Just when I have a little faith in you 55, You make a comment like this..........Pikeville is for real :truestory:

It’s funny how they are for real now that Beechwood and Mayfield are in 2a.
Mr cold74 Wrote:I don't argee Mayfield shouldn't be number 1. You can say last year doesn't matter well that how you gage a poll if the new season hasn't started yet i would say

Cal
Belfry
Mayfield

But this year i look to see Mayfield winning 2a now that Cal has moved up and schools like Danville are down
But Beechwood can win it as well they have one of the best coaches in the state as well as Mayfield

You only use last year to a degree. You also have to look at the changes that have taken place since then. For instance, CAL won the rubber match against Mayfield by a touchdown. However, CAL lost more overall to graduation. Then on top of that, they had a coaching change. MHS still has the coaching staff that has put them in 9 of the last 10 state championships.
mysonis55 Wrote:You only use last year to a degree. You also have to look at the changes that have taken place since then. For instance, CAL won the rubber match against Mayfield by a touchdown. However, CAL lost more overall to graduation. Then on top of that, they had a coaching change. MHS still has the coaching staff that has put them in 9 of the last 10 state championships.

Hate to disagree with you, brother. They were real enough last year to take it to Beechwood, only to lose by I point. I know we can't live on ifs and buts, however if the xtra points had been made, it would had turned out much different. I think they're real enough this season enough to if Beechwood was on the schedule, Panthers win.
I tried taking all factors in consideration. Hearing Cantwell has taken what Lefors started and not missing a beat. Losing a player like Wright hurts, but, it’s line play, defense and a great RB that makes them go. I don’t think CAL will be as strong as in 18, but, still plenty good to be at 2 or 3..

I think Pikeville would give all of those teams everything they wanted.
Pikeville loses a 1 pt game to Beechwood last year and returns a lot more of there team, including All everything Jackson Hensley. IMO, there ranking if fair.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:I tried taking all factors in consideration. Hearing Cantwell has taken what Lefors started and not missing a beat. Losing a player like Wright hurts, but, it’s line play, defense and a great RB that makes them go. I don’t think CAL will be as strong as in 18, but, still plenty good to be at 2 or 3..

It's not too hard to mimic a coaches routine and how he does things. However making on the fly adjustments in a game is a whole other thing. Maybe he can. We'll find out soon enough.
They do have a cpl of good backs. But again. No Wright as a threat to open things up. Their strength matches into DeSales strength. I just see the Colts as a better overall team this year.

Granting the point that scrimmage can be misleading, Pikeville just handled a 5A state semi-finalist who returned a large portion of their team in Pulaski Co....BTW good luck this year hope Mayfield gets than ring...
1. CAL
2. Belfry
3. Mayfield
4. DeSales
5..Beechwood
6. Pikeville
7. Somerset
8. Ashland
9. Raceland
10. LCA
mysonis55 Wrote:You only use last year to a degree. You also have to look at the changes that have taken place since then. For instance, CAL won the rubber match against Mayfield by a touchdown. However, CAL lost more overall to graduation. Then on top of that, they had a coaching change. MHS still has the coaching staff that has put them in 9 of the last 10 state championships.

What about Desales?
ColtPride Wrote:It's not too hard to mimic a coaches routine and how he does things. However making on the fly adjustments in a game is a whole other thing. Maybe he can. We'll find out soon enough.
They do have a cpl of good backs. But again. No Wright as a threat to open things up. Their strength matches into DeSales strength. I just see the Colts as a better overall team this year.
I don't know how it will turn out but Hunter Cantwell isn't a first year coach. He has been a HS head coach and a college qb coach.
PHSFAN Wrote:1. CAL
2. Belfry
3. Mayfield
4. DeSales
5..Beechwood
6. Pikeville
7. Somerset
8. Ashland
9. Raceland
10. LCA

No Bell Co? 😂
The Pikeville hype train is getting out of control. Their fans have always been arrogant, but this year is the worst I have ever seen.
To me the 2 biggest question marks are CAL & Beechwood. For CAL with Wright gone and a new head coach. They still return a lot of talent but how long will it take Cantwell to get it all working and doing so without Wright. Beechwood lost a lot from last year. Being a Mayfield guy I know they return a lot off a really good team. For Mayfield fans its certainly exciting. I am not in the know to name a top 10 but I think I would look at Mayfield and DeSales as my 1 and 2
Easy Wind Wrote:The Pikeville hype train is getting out of control. Their fans have always been arrogant, but this year is the worst I have ever seen.

You haven't heard one Pikeville fan say they are a lock, and you won't.
Pikeville fans take it one game at a time.
Iam4thecats Wrote:I don't know how it will turn out but Hunter Cantwell isn't a first year coach. He has been a HS head coach and a college qb coach.

I'm very familiar with Cantwell. Carroll County is not CAL. It doesn't have the same pressures or expectations. LeFors just had that "it" factor. Very competitive, and a little cocky. He was great at making in game adjustments. Cantwell, might be from the same mold, I guess we'll find out.
1. Mayfield
2. Belfry
3. Cal
4. Somerset
5. Bell Co.
6. Desales
7. Beechwood
8. Pikeville
9. LCA
10. Raceland
11. Ashland
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:1. Mayfield
2. Belfry
3. Cal
4. Somerset
5. Bell Co.
6. Desales
7. Beechwood
8. Pikeville
9. LCA
10. Raceland
11. Ashland

Bell Co beat Somerset at Camp.
BellCo18 Wrote:Bell Co beat Somerset at Camp.

Scrimmages are just practice, you know that. These ratings are useless as tits on a boar hog. All in fun.:insane:
The reality always lies somewhere in between. A lot of football to be played.
BellCo18 Wrote:No Bell Co? ��

Just one person's opinion but Bell County could easily be in the 6-10 range and I suspect with that schedule they will win a lot of games in the regular season and move up all rankings.
mysonis55 Wrote:It’s funny how they are for real now that Beechwood and Mayfield are in 2a.

Nothing to do with Beechwood or Mayfield.
Pikeville has 4 titles and 4 runner ups in their tradition rich history. They may have a special team this year but others won't concede anything. Should be another exciting year for Panther fans.
I've been hoping for the past few years Pikeville will get their enrollment up enough to move up to 2A, I'm sure they could do it pretty easy....hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.