Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do the Reds have a shot in the second half?
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not ready to give up on Encarnancion as our third baseman just yet. He has actually hit quite well since being called back up from the minors. Until we know that EE is going to be a bust, I don't think obtaining a 3rd base prospect should be high on our agenda. Although, I guess you could easily switch him to the outfield or first if you wanted to...

I wonder how EE would take to playing a different spot after getting to be proficient with
3rd base.
I saw that someone mentioned a possible Hatteburg trade after he has picked up the offense, so I guess possibly switching EE to first and getting a 3rd base prospect or star would not be out of the picture.
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not ready to give up on Encarnancion as our third baseman just yet. He has actually hit quite well since being called back up from the minors. Until we know that EE is going to be a bust, I don't think obtaining a 3rd base prospect should be high on our agenda. Although, I guess you could easily switch him to the outfield or first if you wanted to...
.263 batting avg in parts of three seasons...30 HRs in 873 at bats...not spectacular.
Big problem with Encarnacion is that he is not a good defensive 3B... .933 career fielding percentage.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:.263 batting avg in parts of three seasons...30 HRs in 873 at bats...not spectacular.
Big problem with Encarnacion is that he is not a good defensive 3B... .933 career fielding percentage.

If he has 30 HR in 873 AB, that translates to 20 HR in 580 AB, which is around the number of AB's you would get in a full season. While I would not call a .263 avg and 20 HR in a season spectacular either, it certainly does not qualify as a bust. Plus, EE has been one of the better hitters with runners in scoring position, hitting .274 this year and .303 last year, which led the team among the regular starters.

My point is, it is way to early to give up on a young talent like Encarnacion. Granted, he is below average defensively, but that is fixable, and is still no reason to get rid of him at this point in his career.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
the reds dont have a shot in the 2nd half because they just dont have the bullpen relief
They Dont Have A Chnce
More Cowbell Wrote:If he has 30 HR in 873 AB, that translates to 20 HR in 580 AB, which is around the number of AB's you would get in a full season. While I would not call a .263 avg and 20 HR in a season spectacular either, it certainly does not qualify as a bust. Plus, EE has been one of the better hitters with runners in scoring position, hitting .274 this year and .303 last year, which led the team among the regular starters.

My point is, it is way to early to give up on a young talent like Encarnacion. Granted, he is below average defensively, but that is fixable, and is still no reason to get rid of him at this point in his career.

I say that Encarnacion and Hamilton will be the two players that the organization will build around. With Hatteburg picking it up he has a big chance of being traded, of course Dunn Griffey are in the trade rumors and who knows what else.
With the exception of the trade bait, I think that Hamilton, EE, Phillips, Gonzo, Freel and Ross will be back. Our outfield will hopefully be shifted up a little.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I say that Encarnacion and Hamilton will be the two players that the organization will build around. With Hatteburg picking it up he has a big chance of being traded, of course Dunn Griffey are in the trade rumors and who knows what else.
With the exception of the trade bait, I think that Hamilton, EE, Phillips, Gonzo, Freel and Ross will be back. Our outfield will hopefully be shifted up a little.

Whoa, I don't know if I would go that far. I said don't give up on him, but EE has also not shown enough yet to say he is a cornerstone for the future. The jury is simply not out yet on him.

I also think it's a little early to slap that label on Hamilton, although I have been very impressed with him so far. Just remember, he has only been in the majors a grand total of 3 1/2 months now.

Phillips, on the other hand, has definitely shown that he is a future all-star, and I agree he should be one of the cornerstones, along with Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, and Jay Bruce. I would also not trade Harang or Arroyo, we have them locked up for 3 more years at a reasonable rate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Whoa, I don't know if I would go that far. I said don't give up on him, but EE has also not shown enough yet to say he is a cornerstone for the future. The jury is simply not out yet on him.

I also think it's a little early to slap that label on Hamilton, although I have been very impressed with him so far. Just remember, he has only been in the majors a grand total of 3 1/2 months now.

Phillips, on the other hand, has definitely shown that he is a future all-star, and I agree he should be one of the cornerstones, along with Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, and Jay Bruce. I would also not trade Harang or Arroyo, we have them locked up for 3 more years at a reasonable rate.

I didn't say that I think that it is right. I meant that it is what I think Krivsky is thinking. "Hamilton and EE will be the future stars of this team therefore begin molding the team around them." Conserve money (Dunn and Griffey), invest in new young talent (pitcheres, Jay Bruce), build around future stars, and you got a rebuilt outfield and a revamped payroll. You are right about Phillips, he is one of the guys they should build around, he has really shown the offensive and defensive flashes this year and seems to be ready to be the Reds next big all-star.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I didn't say that I think that it is right. I meant that it is what I think Krivsky is thinking. "Hamilton and EE will be the future stars of this team therefore begin molding the team around them." Conserve money (Dunn and Griffey), invest in new young talent (pitcheres, Jay Bruce), build around future stars, and you got a rebuilt outfield and a revamped payroll. You are right about Phillips, he is one of the guys they should build around, he has really shown the offensive and defensive flashes this year and seems to be ready to be the Reds next big all-star.

I'm not convinced that is what the Kriv is thinking either. Maybe with Hamilton (can't hurt that he's the one who signed him), but I'm not so sure with Encarnacion. I mean, he did send EE down to Louisville earlier this year after a couple bad games. I thought that was pretty harsh at the time, but even more so if he considers him a franchise cornerstone. Granted, EE hit his way back up to the big club and has continued hitting well, but who knows how long they would've left him there if he struggled?

Side note, I am really excited to see what Bruce will do when he makes it up to Cincy in a couple years!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not convinced that is what the Kriv is thinking either. Maybe with Hamilton (can't hurt that he's the one who signed him), but I'm not so sure with Encarnacion. I mean, he did send EE down to Louisville earlier this year after a couple bad games. I thought that was pretty harsh at the time, but even more so if he considers him a franchise cornerstone. Granted, EE hit his way back up to the big club and has continued hitting well, but who knows how long they would've left him there if he struggled?

Side note, I am really excited to see what Bruce will do when he makes it up to Cincy in a couple years!

Yeah! Me too!!! Just wondering... What do you think our outfield will look like next year?