• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region
Pre season prediction 2019-20 season

1.Johnson C.
2.Paintsville
3.Pikeville
4.Shelby Valley
5.Martin Co.
Looks like that 2/3 game in the 57th District Tournament should bring out quite a crowd. Whoever is hosting it will be happy about that, I am sure.
Pick a sleeper.
Betsy Layne
As far as a sleeper goes, I'll say Phelps now with Francis.

1. Johnson Central
2. Shelby Valley
3. Pikeville
4. Paintsville
5. Martin County
6. Phelps
7. Lawrence County
8. Pike Central
9. Prestonsburg
10. Betsy Layne
11. East Ridge
12. Floyd Central
13. Magoffin County
14. Belfry
15. Jenkins
16. Piarist
That looks pretty good.
No way betsey layne is that low. If they all play together they will be in mix for region! They played well this summer.
Right now I think the teams 6-14 are a toss up. I dont see Jenkins or Piarist going any higher and I think the top 5 teams, they may switch spots but right now, those 5 teams are the true Region Contenders as of now. Once school starts, the rosters are set and the season starts it will be much clearer.

That being said, I'd love to see Betsy Layne move up in the Region. They do have a good chance to make the 15th Region Tournament this year if they play as a team and they stay together. I've heard they have some good young talent, just a matter if they stay at Betsy Layne. I hope they do.
I would love to see Betsy Layne be a force again. They had a lot of very good teams over the years.
Betsy Layne they have no seniors this year.But these guys played a lot last year.They have good size 6'5,6'4,6'3 and a Freshmen 6'3 that can shoot the lights out, good point guard in Howell. How long will it take them 2 come along?
My preseason ratings by district are below:

57th.
1). Johnson Central - Defending 15th Region Champs and the best team I saw this summer.

2). Paintsville - young and athletic with Fugate, Watts, Williams, Dinguss, Keaton and Tharp. It should be two or three great matchups with JC this season.

3). Martin County - the addition of Ethan Smith Mills and the point guard from west Va should make a dominate big three to go along with the Big Man Trey James. A Top 5 team in the Region may not make the Regional Tournament due to the talented 57th District.

4). Magoffin

58th

1). Betsy Layne - I really like the young Bobcat team. They really played well during the summer. They have height and athleticism and probably one of the most underrated players in Jordan Frazier. The addition of incoming freshman Andrew Kidd and Prestonsburg Transfer Jake Rainey will add to an already talented roster returning (Frazier, Howell, Robinson, Mims, Manns). I think BL could make some noise in the regional tournament.

2) Lawrence County- a talent returning group with a new coach will change for the district title. The return their leading scorer and last years 58th district POY and an outstanding point guard this season.

3). Prestonsburg - return three starters off of last years team. Adam Slone will be the leader the Blackcats look for along with sharp shooter Graham Burchett and Point Guard Grant Justice. The lack of depth will hurt my Blackcats this season. They will need someone outside the staring 5 to step up and play some vital minutes if they want to push to make it to the Region.

4). Floyd Central - New coach in Allan Joe Moore will have to rely heavily on Senior big man Brandon Little. A nice incoming freshman class will hopefully have the Jaguars back for challenging for a district title for a few years but this year will be difficult.

59th

1). Shelby Valley - Will be lead by Player of the year candidate Cody Potter and their point guard Worrix. It should be another great year for Valley. I think they will push JC and Paintsville for the Regional Title.

2). Pikeville - another young team featuring Sammons, Hall and Lockhart will lead the Panthers. The question will be who will step up to help the Panthers make it back to the Regional semifinals.

3). East Ridge

4). Jenkins

60th

1). Phelps - lead by Senior Trey Francis the Hornets will be in a position to shock some teams.

2). Pike Central

3). Belfry

4). Piarist
Gotta put JC #1 but I think they are gonna have a tough year. After watching Pikeville play at camp I am comfortable at putting them at #2 because they are playing with a chip on their shoulder after disappointing loss to JC in the regional final and the young guys aren’t playing like young guys. 3 and 4 go to Shelby Valley and Paintsville, until they can PROVE they can win the big games i can’t rank them higher, they either implode or lose their minds in tournament play. I think Betsy Layne has some good young talent and might surprise some people this year also, maybe not a threat to win region but should be interesting.
Rumor is Paintsville is losing a player. Their transfer from last year is going back to Martin County.
WinkWinkler Wrote:Rumor is Paintsville is losing a player. Their transfer from last year is going back to Martin County.

It will be interesting if this rumor becomes a reality. I'd love to see Martin County do well and hopefully can build a successful program going forward. At the same time it is amazing to me what a new school building can do as far as attracting transfers and in some cases, kids who left the former Sheldon Clark High School for supposed greener pastures to return home now that the new school is ready if the player does return from Paintsville.
Overrated as point guard @ Paintsville. Didn’t want any part of ball in Region tourney when crunch time rolled around!!!
clipperw Wrote:It will be interesting if this rumor becomes a reality. I'd love to see Martin County do well and hopefully can build a successful program going forward. At the same time it is amazing to me what a new school building can do as far as attracting transfers and in some cases, kids who left the former Sheldon Clark High School for supposed greener pastures to return home now that the new school is ready if the player does return from Paintsville.

Absolutely amazing that high school kids can just pick and choose where they want to play sports. The KHSAA is a joke on this matter. It's really not that hard for the KHSAA to find out if there has actually been a residence change. And people wonder why we have brats on our courts and fields. It's because adults have no spine and let these kids do what they darn well please. Coaches are becoming a joke because they are afraid of making little Johnny mad and little Johnny going somewhere else to play. Well I say let little Johnny take his ball and go wherever the heck Mommy and Daddy want to haul his obvious NBA game.
Id love to have Brady Dinguss on my team. Maybe the 40 mile drive from Inez to Paintsville every morning gets old.
I would think it questionable that Seth Williams is on the team? I hope he is. I’ve always liked the kid but I didn’t see him with Paintsville this summer.
1. Shelby Valley
2. Pikeville
3. Johnson central
4. Paintsville
5. Lawrence county
6. East Ridge
7. Martin county
8. Betsy layne
9. Phelps
10. Pike central
11. Prestonsburg
12. Belfry
13. Floyd county central
14. Magoffin county
15. Jenkins
clipperw Wrote:It will be interesting if this rumor becomes a reality. I'd love to see Martin County do well and hopefully can build a successful program going forward. At the same time it is amazing to me what a new school building can do as far as attracting transfers and in some cases, kids who left the former Sheldon Clark High School for supposed greener pastures to return home now that the new school is ready if the player does return from Paintsville.
Martin County is overrated. Ok they got a new school and we keep seeing all this attention and transfer rumors but at the end of the day you gotta go out and win. Heard the same thing the last three years. There 6’10” center better put up better numbers then 15ppg and is gonna have to dominate on the boards, personally I don’t think he’s there yet but we will see.
Pretty good rumor but there's No way that will happen.After the dad tried to fight the SC coach at the last game?I wasn't there but I did see it on the video's going around.The word was that video was sent in to the disability people.So i bet there is no possibility of that. no idea how that could work.
clipperw Wrote:Looks like that 2/3 game in the 57th District Tournament should bring out quite a crowd. Whoever is hosting it will be happy about that, I am sure.

Martin County will be hosting the 57th District tournament this year in their new gym, I hear it's really nice.

The way things are going who knows who will be in that 2/3 game this year
It will be Pikeville and JC battling it out again this year Shelby Valley’s Coach doesn’t have what it takes to get the job done there team is better than there Coach but that happens a lot in the 15th
It should be a fun year in the 15th region this year and district play will drive some teams crazy.
its a good thing they all have 20 plus games to play to determine. i love me some mountain ball. but i don't start dissecting until the Christmas tournaments. thats when they start to form.

sorry for grammer. one arm. rotator torn on dom arm
Does anyone know if the dingus kid got cleared to play at Sheldon clark
The Dingess hearing was postponed till the 15th due to a request by someone according to a local news paper article. I’m not sure who requested the postponement but I wouldn’t think it was Brady Dingess.
Any updates on the 10/15 Dingess hearing?
How is Paintsville ranked so high in preseason polls?!?! Didn’t their entire backcourt transfer?
Hambley Wrote:How is Paintsville ranked so high in preseason polls?!?! Didn’t their entire backcourt transfer?

Only the good ones except Allen he graduated however they do have Fugate.
Not yet, said takes a month....