Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reality Contests -vs- Elections
Let's discuss candidly why American Idol, Dancing w/ the Stars, and various other contests get more of a turn out (vote) than do local, state, or national elections.
Is it because those contests are more "real" than the candidates or issues being promoted by our political parties or just what does everyone think!
They don't get a turn out, they get a "turn-on." Turning on a computer or phone.

In these tv shows votes, no one actually has to go out to a voting booth and cast a ballot, it's all done by phone, text message, etc.

Of course national elections don't give anyone these options, so yeah, there's less of a turn out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
So you believe it's more of an issue about convenience and not indifference to the issues? I can see that... plus after I got to thinking about it, there is no age limit. This would mean there are many, who are under the legal voting age for real elections, who are voting with zeal in television reality shows.
I don't even think age has anything to do with it. The lowest number of voters come from the 18-24 year old bracket anyways.

Yes, I believe it's all about convenience. If the national election had online voting, or text message voting I think we would see more people than ever voting in the election.

But seeing as how they can't police text message or online voting as well as they can going out to the voting booths, I doubt it will be done any time in the near future.

Yes, there are also several underage people who vote, so that does factor in as well. I'm not sure the overrall "zeal" has much to do with it, because the 2004 election was very heated. Also the presidential elections impact everyone, there are more people who take interest in that, whereas only a certain percent of the population watches a certain show.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]