Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last game ever at Johnson Central's Paul Fyffe Field
The regional finals tomorrow night will mark the last high school game ever to be played at the current Johnson Central field. For those who dont know, after the ballball season is over, the stadium will be demolished for the constuction of a brand new facility. Eagle Field has been the home to not only the Johnson Central Golden Eagles but also the minor league home of the New York Yankees and the Milwaukee Brewers and countless thousands of Johnson County youth who played Babe Ruth over the past 40 years. This is probably the most historic high school baseball field in all of eastern Kentucky. We certainly hope that all local baseball fans will attend tomorrow night's finale to help close the chapter on this storied baseball facility as well as to root on the Golden Eagles.
A lot of great players have played on that field, Jose Rijo, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Plunk, Willie Blair, I'm pretty sure Greg Maddux did when he was on the Pikeville Cubs of the Appalachian League, as well as countless others that I'm leaving out. My neighbor, Doug VanHoose has all kinds of memorabilia ranging from pennants to rings from the Paintsville Yankees, and was nice enough to give me and my brothers a few signed balls that he had. It will definately be missed.
One quick question, will the new facility remain "Paul G. Fyffe Field"? I would hope so considering he was the man who brought the minors here and so forth. What's the story?
Let's don't forget all the Babe Ruth & High School players over the years along with all the fun memories of flamboyant coaches in high pressure games!
GRIZZ Wrote:A lot of great players have played on that field, Jose Rijo, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Plunk, Willie Blair, I'm pretty sure Greg Maddux did when he was on the Pikeville Cubs of the Appalachian League, as well as countless others that I'm leaving out. My neighbor, Doug VanHoose has all kinds of memorabilia ranging from pennants to rings from the Paintsville Yankees, and was nice enough to give me and my brothers a few signed balls that he had. It will definately be missed.
Actually Greg Maddux recorded the last minor league victory at Paul G. Fyffe field.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:One quick question, will the new facility remain "Paul G. Fyffe Field"? I would hope so considering he was the man who brought the minors here and so forth. What's the story?
Let's don't forget all the Babe Ruth & High School players over the years along with all the fun memories of flamboyant coaches in high pressure games!

Lets also not forget all those who made "hots cakes" on the concession stand grills. I know those are special memories for you Ms. Douglas.Big Grin
Wink I "vas just zinking about zhose hots cakes dahling"Wink
i was going to point out the Greg Maddux story and Mark Grace and Dwight Smith also played on that field.
Don't forget Glenn Bragg and Stan Javier.

Does anyone know the current 15th Region basketball coach that played minor league baseball there???

I believe, Bill Mike Runyon played minor league ball there when it was the Tri County Highlanders(pre-Yankees)
That's an interesting fact on Maddux. Looking back it is hard to believe that Johnson County was fortunate enough to have a minor league program and have the quality amount of players that it did to display their talents on one field. I'm sure some baseball enthusiasts wouldn't mind if JC auctioned off some of the chair bleachers for historical purposes, with the proceeds going to a Golden Eagle baseball fund to help pay for future trips or the completion of their new field.
As a coach, this was probably the prettiest field as the sun would set that I have ever seen@! Love the old school facilities as this field will def. be missed@!!!
Wow there as been some talent step foot on that field. When was the last minor league game played there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Wow there as been some talent step foot on that field. When was the last minor league game played there.
1984, I think I'm right on that.
Paintsville Brewers, 1983-1984(1982 they were located in Pikeville)
Paintsville Highlanders, 1978
Paintsville Yankees, 1979-1982

Appalachian League Teams
http://www.ballparkwatch.com/leagues/app...league.htm
I just found this out from searching google, the Paintsville Yankees won league 3 consecutive league championships from 1979-1981 and the Paintsville Brewers won it all in 1983. That goes to show what type of talent was displayed on this field, 4 championships in a 5 year span. The Appalachian league is still up and running, maybe in the future with the new field being built Paintsville can get another organization to call it their home.
Don't forget, the 1984 state championship was played there as well. East Carter won on a walk-off home run.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:The regional finals tomorrow night will mark the last high school game ever to be played at the current Johnson Central field. For those who dont know, after the ballball season is over, the stadium will be demolished for the constuction of a brand new facility. Eagle Field has been the home to not only the Johnson Central Golden Eagles but also the minor league home of the New York Yankees and the Milwaukee Brewers and countless thousands of Johnson County youth who played Babe Ruth over the past 40 years. This is probably the most historic high school baseball field in all of eastern Kentucky. We certainly hope that all local baseball fans will attend tomorrow night's finale to help close the chapter on this storied baseball facility as well as to root on the Golden Eagles.

It isn't even 40 years old yet. JC didn't open untill 68 or 69. It has a lot of stories no doubt and has had some great players play on it. But, I wouldn't go and say "the most historic high school baseball field in all of Eastern Kentucky". Apparently you haven't talked to some of the old local diamond die hards. There is were you will find out were the historic fields are.
OffTheHook Wrote:It isn't even 40 years old yet. JC didn't open untill 68 or 69. It has a lot of stories no doubt and has had some great players play on it. But, I wouldn't go and say "the most historic high school baseball field in all of Eastern Kentucky". Apparently you haven't talked to some of the old local diamond die hards. There is were you will find out were the historic fields are.
Uhhh, the math that I use says that 2007-1968=39 years, and that same system of math that I use is taught at the same place where I believe you learned your math at Big Grin so, I think that 40 years works out pretty well for that comment. Would you not agree?

What other field would you think would be more historic? Perhaps a dumb question on my part, but just wondering which one you think might be. I have been to several places all up and down the eastern seaboard playing baseball and when the fact is mentioned that I was from Paintsville, Ky. , the comment comes back as "that's where they have that minor league field , isn't it?" You may not believe that but it has happened more than once. People may not realize that it was at Johnson Central High School, but they do indeed remember something about a field in Paintsville , Kentucky. I doubt that there is any other field in this area that brings up a recollection similar to that.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Uhhh, the math that I use says that 2007-1968=39 years, and that same system of math that I use is taught at the same place where I believe you learned your math at Big Grin so, I think that 40 years works out pretty well for that comment. Would you not agree?

What other field would you think would be more historic? Perhaps a dumb question on my part, but just wondering which one you think might be. I have been to several places all up and down the eastern seaboard playing baseball and when the fact is mentioned that I was from Paintsville, Ky. , the comment comes back as "that's where they have that minor league field , isn't it?" You may not believe that but it has happened more than once. People may not realize that it was at Johnson Central High School, but they do indeed remember something about a field in Paintsville , Kentucky. I doubt that there is any other field in this area that brings up a recollection similar to that.
I remember one time around 1979, I was in Daytona. I walked into a Market wearing a shirt that said Paintsville, when an elderly local came up and asked, "Paintsville.....is that Paintsville, Ky.?" When I said yes, he said..." They have a real good minor league team".
At that time, I was shocked that anyone outside of Eastern Ky. had even heard of Paintsville.
When you consider that not only the minor league players that have been on that field, but the High schoiolers that went on to play at higher levels, including the highest and also, that TWO, Hall of fame coaches have called that field home, I would say it is definately the most storied field in Eastern Ky.!
I drove by the field around 9:00 p.m. while the championship was being played and there WASN'T an EMPTY seat in the entire stadium.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Uhhh, the math that I use says that 2007-1968=39 years, and that same system of math that I use is taught at the same place where I believe you learned your math at Big Grin so, I think that 40 years works out pretty well for that comment. Would you not agree?

Nope, 39 doesn't = 40, actually it is 365 days short. And I would be careful using that number system. Just ask ...never mind. Big Grin J/K (Couldn't resist) I am not putting the place down one bit, I LOVED playing there. And yes I could tell some stories about that field as well. Yes it has some History. But, to say it is the most "Historic". I am sorry, I don't feel it is. JMO.
OffTheHook Wrote:Nope, 39 doesn't = 40, actually it is 365 days short. And I would be careful using that number system. Just ask ...never mind. Big Grin J/K (Couldn't resist) I am not putting the place down one bit, I LOVED playing there. And yes I could tell some stories about that field as well. Yes it has some History. But, to say it is the most "Historic". I am sorry, I don't feel it is. JMO.
Maybe I'm just a sentimental old fool.Smile
The Guru Wrote:I remember one time around 1979, I was in Daytona. I walked into a Market wearing a shirt that said Paintsville, when an elderly local came up and asked, "Paintsville.....is that Paintsville, Ky.?" When I said yes, he said..." They have a real good minor league team".
At that time, I was shocked that anyone outside of Eastern Ky. had even heard of Paintsville.
When you consider that not only the minor league players that have been on that field, but the High schoiolers that went on to play at higher levels, including the highest and also, that TWO, Hall of fame coaches have called that field home, I would say it is definately the most storied field in Eastern Ky.!
I remember once being in Myrtle Beach around 1981 and I also was wearing a shirt that had Paintsville, Kentucky written on it and some guy came up to me and asked if I was from Paintsville . I told him so, and he went on to state that Paintsville is the hometown of Johnnie LeMaster, isn't it? Just goes to show how much baseball spawned recognition to our town and county.
Redneck Wrote:I drove by the field around 9:00 p.m. while the championship was being played and there WASN'T an EMPTY seat in the entire stadium.
It may be the largest crowd that I have ever seen at the field. It was huge. I am sure that some attendence numbers were taken.. I would like to know just how many people were actually there.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:It may be the largest crowd that I have ever seen at the field. It was huge. I am sure that some attendence numbers were taken.. I would like to know just how many people were actually there.

It felt like a state tourney game. This was by far the best hs game i've been too just because of the atmosphere and I've been to many, many games all over the state. I would say at least 3000 ppl were there tonight and prolly more. I'm anxious to see how many JC fans make the trek to Pikeville next week. They usually travel well.
eaglehoops Wrote:It felt like a state tourney game. This was by far the best hs game i've been too just because of the atmosphere and I've been to many, many games all over the state. I would say at least 3000 ppl were there tonight and prolly more. I'm anxious to see how many JC fans make the trek to Pikeville next week. They usually travel well.

Yea I thought that the Central fans were quite most of the night. LC fans rowdy as always. But in the end it was a great setting all was wonderful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]