Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 2019
I know there’s quite a bit of talk on another thread about Pikeville next season.
Figured I’d give them their own thread. Thoughts?
Crown them 😁
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I know there’s quite a bit of talk on another thread about Pikeville next season.
Figured I’d give them their own thread. Thoughts?

I think they have an opportunity to be an outstanding 1A team. Not ready to crown them just yet...but they are definitely in the conversation. They do have a few holes to fill...like most programs. But the nucleus is in place for a title run,
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I think they have an opportunity to be an outstanding 1A team. Not ready to crown them just yet...but they are definitely in the conversation. They do have a few holes to fill...like most programs. But the nucleus is in place for a title run,

QB has big shoes to to fill but the Panther faithful believe it will be smooth transition. Pikeville is the favorite in 1A. Never did hear if they are seeding the semi final round, if not, they will travel to either Raceland or Paintsville. Both have grass fields that could play a factor.

All of these teams play each other so we will have a good idea of what to expect.
I hope they do away with the seeding idea, it's a bad one.
Don't think grass will matter although it's always good to play at home.
The QB will be excellent, but Pikeville or anyone else probably won't see 1300 rushing yards and 18 TDs from a QB for a while. So IMO if Pikeville's running game is good enough to pick up some of that slack I like their chances. With what they have coming back and some new faces who will contribute from day one they will be fun to watch again. 1A East will be very exciting again and there is about a 90% chance the title comes back to the East in 2019.
jetpilot Wrote:I hope they do away with the seeding idea, it's a bad one.
The QB will be excellent, but Pikeville or anyone else probably won't see 1300 rushing yards and 18 TDs from a QB for a while. So IMO if Pikeville's running game is good enough to pick up some of that slack I like their chances. With what they have coming back and some new faces who will contribute from day one they will be fun to watch again. 1A East will be very exciting again and there is about a 90% chance the title comes back to the East in 2019.

So if the season started today, would there be seeding or is it just being discussed?

Just meant the grass could be a factor if it is a rainy week and neither team can do much.
^ I quit trying to keep up. Seems like they adopted it then un-adopted it then started discussing it again. Anyone know? And your valid point about grass went over my head at first but I agree.
jetpilot Wrote:Don't think grass will matter although it's always good to play at home.

They were a clear underdog to BHW is last years title game and man did they give BHW all they wanted and a lot more. That was a exciting game to watch.

I think they are the clear cut favorite to win it this year

In the quote above, grass! I think the teams that have it have a advantage. If they do seed it might not be as much so but those Oct and Nov nights on a wet grass field can be tough on teams that dont get to play on it much if ever. I think that maybe more of a factor in the larger classes or to teams in and around larger population centers but I think it sometimes hurts turf teams. Now the title game and possibly the final 4 if seeded are likely played on turf but getting there grass might be a issue. I doubt it will slow Pikeville though, as I bet they see alot of away fields with grass
jetpilot Wrote:I hope they do away with the seeding idea, it's a bad one.

Did Beechwood move to 2A?
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Did Beechwood move to 2A?

Yes
Already looking forward to see how these Panthers fare this upcoming season. I for one see it being a relatively smooth transition from graduated QB Conner Roberts to Sophomore QB Isaac McNamee. When you consider how many reps McNamee got this past season, and almost all of those came against the starting units of opponents who the Panthers salted away early in those games, while coach Mac subbing freely. McNamee showed maturity while in the pocket and showed patience, being quite effective at the same time. Imo, he didn't play like a Freshman, looked more seasoned. I agree with jp., dont think we'll see all those QB rushing yards especially early on, but McNamee can run the ball when needed, just don't have the quickness and speed that Conner Roberts was blessed with. He will be tough to bring down......strong when running the ball. One thing for sure though, he can through the ball very effectively. Still blessed with plenty of skill players, and RB positions. Jon Collum looked very good running the ball late in the season. And Cody Raines looked really good as well at that position. Run game in my opinion should be somewhat improved. Return some good seasoned linemen as well. Long way off til the ist game, but Panther fans have another great year to look forward to, jmo.
Pikeville will be fine next year but do think early in the year they are going to be making some adjustments, can’t lose the talent they lost with out some let down at the first of the year. Just like 2017 was rough at first but made the adjustments and made to the semi’s. The strength of the team is going to be the linebackers all of them returning at least my opinion. Those guys will have to take control and lead this team along with the rest of the seniors to get to where they need to get at the end of the year. Going to be interesting to watch their growth from game to game except unlike years before you could have those losses and over come, this year is different with the new seeding format that 1 loss could put you a lower seed and take home field away in the playoffs. Pikeville definitely has talent coming up but will it help this year is yet to be seen. Definitely going to be good for the years to come though. The east is loaded again with 5 teams that are contenders at least in my opinion but as always GO PANTHERS!!!
I think that Pikeville wins 1A next year. With all the realignment I think its theirs to lose, IMO.
In my opinion, Pikeville will still be one of the top teams in 1A. But, they lost their best offensive and defensive lineman in Brayden “Bull” Hunter, their best receiver in Christian Biliter, their best defensive player in Jessie Sparks ( a beast that all teams had to game plan for), and their most productive and top dual threat QB to ever play at Pikeville in Connor Roberts. That’s a lot to lose from graduation. They have some great players returning, but losing your best players in all facets of the game is not an easy thing for a team to overcome and replace. They will still be in contention come playoff time and the new realignment will definitely help them in their quest for a state championship. I just think it’s going to be a lot tougher than many think. Again, this is just my opinion.
4everUK Wrote:In my opinion, Pikeville will still be one of the top teams in 1A. But, they lost their best offensive and defensive lineman in Brayden “Bull” Hunter, their best receiver in Christian Biliter, their best defensive player in Jessie Sparks ( a beast that all teams had to game plan for), and their most productive and top dual threat QB to ever play at Pikeville in Connor Roberts. That’s a lot to lose from graduation. They have some great players returning, but losing your best players in all facets of the game is not an easy thing for a team to overcome and replace. They will still be in contention come playoff time and the new realignment will definitely help them in their quest for a state championship. I just think it’s going to be a lot tougher than many think. Again, this is just my opinion.
Firgot to mention that Pikeville will also be losing their Offensive Coordinator to retirement
4everUK Wrote:In my opinion, Pikeville will still be one of the top teams in 1A. But, they lost their best offensive and defensive lineman in Brayden “Bull” Hunter, their best receiver in Christian Biliter, their best defensive player in Jessie Sparks ( a beast that all teams had to game plan for), and their most productive and top dual threat QB to ever play at Pikeville in Connor Roberts. That’s a lot to lose from graduation. They have some great players returning, but losing your best players in all facets of the game is not an easy thing for a team to overcome and replace. They will still be in contention come playoff time and the new realignment will definitely help them in their quest for a state championship. I just think it’s going to be a lot tougher than many think. Again, this is just my opinion.

Everybody knows it will be tough. It's never not going to be very tough, especially in the East.
Some questions have to be answered no doubt.
The 2019 team has far less holes to fill than that 2016 team needed to fill. The defense will need to fill 4 spots. 2 on the line and 2 in the secondary. I don’t see Pikeville having too much of a problem doing so.

Offense will need two lineman replaced and two wide outs and running back and quarterback. Pikevilles season depends on how the quarterback develops and if the line will give him time to throw. They will need some younger kids to step up to help Hensley and Pugh. Running game will still be solid but I expect them to lean on it more in 2019.
Does anyone have their schedule yet?
jgrlzz Wrote:Does anyone have their schedule yet?

Bardstown
Mingo Central (Pike County Bowl)
@Paintsville
Raceland
@belfry
@Lawrence County
Phelps
@hazard
@jenkins
Ridgeview, Va
bac2369 Wrote:The 2019 team has far less holes to fill than that 2016 team needed to fill. The defense will need to fill 4 spots. 2 on the line and 2 in the secondary. I don’t see Pikeville having too much of a problem doing so.

Offense will need two lineman replaced and two wide outs and running back and quarterback. Pikevilles season depends on how the quarterback develops and if the line will give him time to throw. They will need some younger kids to step up to help Hensley and Pugh. Running game will still be solid but I expect them to lean on it more in 2019.
Depth up front on both sides of the ball will be an issue early. We lost nearly all of our backups on the line to graduation. Not to say there aren’t talented kids to take their place, but they will be young and inexperienced. It will take some time for them to develop
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Bardstown
Mingo Central (Pike County Bowl)
@Paintsville
Raceland
@belfry
@Lawrence County
Phelps
@hazard
@jenkins
Ridgeview, Va

Wouldn't happen to know the dates?
Several interesting games.

I think Bardstown will be a challenge, hearing they are getting several transfers from Bethlehem and Thomas Nelson. Mingo Central could also be interesting. I think the coaching there isn't as good any longer, but we will see.

Paintsville/Raceland/Hazard should pose threats - will be great games

Belfry is Belfry

Lawrence County might be a problem early on but Pikeville should finish strong

Phelps/Jenkins - What it is

Clintwood 2.0 will be interesting - There was A LOT of buzz about this program when it started. I know they have had some challenges, but Clintwood and Haysi were top notch 1A Virginia programs. I think Coach Colley is running the show there again, they might be a little stout for Pikeville, especially if it's in Clintwood.

If Pikeville/Playoffs system is changed, I would be weary of the upset by Hazard round two.

Should be a great year for the Panthers.
Real Badman Wrote:Several interesting games.

I think Bardstown will be a challenge, hearing they are getting several transfers from Bethlehem and Thomas Nelson. Mingo Central could also be interesting. I think the coaching there isn't as good any longer, but we will see.

Paintsville/Raceland/Hazard should pose threats - will be great games

Belfry is Belfry

Lawrence County might be a problem early on but Pikeville should finish strong

Phelps/Jenkins - What it is

Clintwood 2.0 will be interesting - There was A LOT of buzz about this program when it started. I know they have had some challenges, but Clintwood and Haysi were top notch 1A Virginia programs. I think Coach Colley is running the show there again, they might be a little stout for Pikeville, especially if it's in Clintwood.

If Pikeville/Playoffs system is changed, I would be weary of the upset by Hazard round two.

Should be a great year for the Panthers.

Ridgeview will be @ Pikeville
Can the 2019 Panthers reach Kroger Field again? Yes they can. But, some questions will have to be answered first between now and the first Friday in December. The Senior class that graduates this year is easily one of the Top Ten most Talented classes in School History. Normally that would spell doom for an upcoming season for most 1A schools. But, Pikeville isn’t most 1A schools. There is talent that is good enough to step in and, after an adjustment period, could be just as special. I’ll break this into 2 posts so it won’t be as long.

Offensively the concern is up front, under center, and in the press box where a big seat will be empty.
Up front Pikeville returns 3 starters in Seniors Jackson Mullins (LT), Cade Slater ©, and 2018 LHL Second Team All Stater Matt Compton (RT). That’s the good news. The bad news is we lost our 2 starting guards in Zach Akers and Marshall signee Bull Hunter. Not to mention 2 of the best backups in the business in Brock Runyon and Nate Mattingly who both provided quality snaps during the course of the season. The news isn’t all bad though. The cupboard isn’t completely bare. A trio of talented kids will be fighting for these positions in Summer Practice. Senior McKenzie Hamilton, Junior Weston Lucas, and Sophomore Landon Hammock all should be in the mix to take those spots among others.

At Wide Receiver, Christian Billiter and Kyle Watkins both will be missed. Both were playmakers and exceptional athletes. That’s the bad news. The good news is both Jackson Hensley and Seth Pugh return which is bad news for everyone else. Pugh has been good the last 2 years, but I expect even better production from him this year for 2 reasons. 1. Another year to get stronger and 2. He’s going to see quite a bit of favorable matchups next year. Why? Because Jackson Hensley will be lined up on the other side of him. Hensley is a matchup nightmare! Period! Too big for a corner, too strong for a safety, and too fast for a linebacker. If the kid stays healthy and doesn’t choose to play baseball, he’ll be the next D1 commit from Pikeville. At slot, I see a couple of kids that could step in and make an impact. Senior Peyton Boyd-Blair and Sophomore Zach Lockhart. Blair is a converted QB with nice athleticism and with his QB background, should be a precise route runner and could be able to make some hey getting behind linebackers while the DBS are busy with Hensley and Pugh. Lockhart has blazing speed and good athleticism that could cause some serious headaches to a defense up the seam. Needs to get stronger and work on his blocking this off season though.

With no disrespect intended to Zach Roberts, who was a fine Running Back. I actually think we upgrade at Running Back this year from an overall talent standpoint. Senior Cody Raines showed some flashes of brilliance in the postseason last year. Raines missed all of summer practice and most of the regular season due to injury and still was able to make an impact both as a runner and receiver after he got back in to playing shape. With an off-season to get stronger and a full summer practice under his belt, I expect this kid to be our “Day One” starter. With that said, Freshman Carson Wright will steal some carries early and could be a major fixture in the backfield as the season goes on. Coach Mac isn’t too keen on playing freshmen. But, Wright’s freakish mix of size and speed are just too good to be left on the sidelines. Wright has the potential to be the next Daric Pugh. That’s a name I don’t throw around lightly.

At QB, Conner Roberts was the definition of what you wanted in a QB both on and off the field. Before I go further, let’s put into proper context just how great he was. The Coaches Son as a freshman was good enough to start at QB for probably 95% of the schools in 1A. Yet there was never even so much as a whisper of any type of “QB Controversy” either amongst the team or within the community about who QB1 was going to be going in to last season. I don’t know about you, but that speaks volumes to me about how much Connor meant to this team. Also speaks volumes about the coach as well. I’ll get to him later...

With all that said, The Issac MacNamee era has officially begun at Pikeville. The best way I can describe Issac is this: The size of Doug Powers, The Arm of Matt Branham, and the Athleticism of his Dad....If the boy didn’t look so much like his Momma, I’d swear Coach Mac created him in a secretly funded Bioengineering Lab in some Eastern European country where the laws against such engineering aren’t as stringent as the U.S. The only worry I have about him is he’s just a Sophomore. Can the kid take the pressure of being QB1 of a State Title Contender when he hasn’t even got his drivers liscense yet? Time will tell, but he’s a well rounded kid with a good attitude and fantastic parents. That will definitely help:

Last but certainly not least is Offensive Coordinator Billy Johnson’s retirement. Coach Johnson’s offenses have put up Madden like numbers since he took over play calling. I’ve been told by Coach Mac himself that he, O-Line Coach Brad Allen and longtime WR Coach Steve Johnson will split the play calling duties next season. Will that lead to a shift in philosophy or will it be more of the same?

Defense is next....
Thanks HP. That was some great info for the the Panther's offense. Looking forward to the D.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Can the 2019 Panthers reach Kroger Field again? Yes they can. But, some questions will have to be answered first between now and the first Friday in December. The Senior class that graduates this year is easily one of the Top Ten most Talented classes in School History. Normally that would spell doom for an upcoming season for most 1A schools. But, Pikeville isn’t most 1A schools. There is talent that is good enough to step in and, after an adjustment period, could be just as special. I’ll break this into 2 posts so it won’t be as long.

Offensively the concern is up front, under center, and in the press box where a big seat will be empty.
Up front Pikeville returns 3 starters in Seniors Jackson Mullins (LT), Cade Slater ©, and 2018 LHL Second Team All Stater Matt Compton (RT). That’s the good news. The bad news is we lost our 2 starting guards in Zach Akers and Marshall signee Bull Hunter. Not to mention 2 of the best backups in the business in Brock Runyon and Nate Mattingly who both provided quality snaps during the course of the season. The news isn’t all bad though. The cupboard isn’t completely bare. A trio of talented kids will be fighting for these positions in Summer Practice. Senior McKenzie Hamilton, Junior Weston Lucas, and Sophomore Landon Hammock all should be in the mix to take those spots among others.

At Wide Receiver, Christian Billiter and Kyle Watkins both will be missed. Both were playmakers and exceptional athletes. That’s the bad news. The good news is both Jackson Hensley and Seth Pugh return which is bad news for everyone else. Pugh has been good the last 2 years, but I expect even better production from him this year for 2 reasons. 1. Another year to get stronger and 2. He’s going to see quite a bit of favorable matchups next year. Why? Because Jackson Hensley will be lined up on the other side of him. Hensley is a matchup nightmare! Period! Too big for a corner, too strong for a safety, and too fast for a linebacker. If the kid stays healthy and doesn’t choose to play baseball, he’ll be the next D1 commit from Pikeville. At slot, I see a couple of kids that could step in and make an impact. Senior Peyton Boyd-Blair and Sophomore Zach Lockhart. Blair is a converted QB with nice athleticism and with his QB background, should be a precise route runner and could be able to make some hey getting behind linebackers while the DBS are busy with Hensley and Pugh. Lockhart has blazing speed and good athleticism that could cause some serious headaches to a defense up the seam. Needs to get stronger and work on his blocking this off season though.

With no disrespect intended to Zach Roberts, who was a fine Running Back. I actually think we upgrade at Running Back this year from an overall talent standpoint. Senior Cody Raines showed some flashes of brilliance in the postseason last year. Raines missed all of summer practice and most of the regular season due to injury and still was able to make an impact both as a runner and receiver after he got back in to playing shape. With an off-season to get stronger and a full summer practice under his belt, I expect this kid to be our “Day One” starter. With that said, Freshman Carson Wright will steal some carries early and could be a major fixture in the backfield as the season goes on. Coach Mac isn’t too keen on playing freshmen. But, Wright’s freakish mix of size and speed are just too good to be left on the sidelines. Wright has the potential to be the next Daric Pugh. That’s a name I don’t throw around lightly.

At QB, Conner Roberts was the definition of what you wanted in a QB both on and off the field. Before I go further, let’s put into proper context just how great he was. The Coaches Son as a freshman was good enough to start at QB for probably 95% of the schools in 1A. Yet there was never even so much as a whisper of any type of “QB Controversy” either amongst the team or within the community about who QB1 was going to be going in to last season. I don’t know about you, but that speaks volumes to me about how much Connor meant to this team. Also speaks volumes about the coach as well. I’ll get to him later...

With all that said, The Issac MacNamee era has officially begun at Pikeville. The best way I can describe Issac is this: The size of Doug Powers, The Arm of Matt Branham, and the Athleticism of his Dad....If the boy didn’t look so much like his Momma, I’d swear Coach Mac created him in a secretly funded Bioengineering Lab in some Eastern European country where the laws against such engineering aren’t as stringent as the U.S. The only worry I have about him is he’s just a Sophomore. Can the kid take the pressure of being QB1 of a State Title Contender when he hasn’t even got his drivers liscense yet? Time will tell, but he’s a well rounded kid with a good attitude and fantastic parents. That will definitely help:

Last but certainly not least is Offensive Coordinator Billy Johnson’s retirement. Coach Johnson’s offenses have put up Madden like numbers since he took over play calling. I’ve been told by Coach Mac himself that he, O-Line Coach Brad Allen and longtime WR Coach Steve Johnson will split the play calling duties next season. Will that lead to a shift in philosophy or will it be more of the same?

Defense is next....
Great info and summary! This line was very diverse, with all of them being capable of playing multiple positions along the O and D lines. Wanted to point one thing out, one of the guard starters was actually senior Brandon Pruitt. Brock Runyon and Zach Akers rotated among backing up Pruitt and Hunter, and were even both in at the same time at times. Akers also served as a backup left and right tackle. Mattingly played some guard but was primarily defense at NG or DT. So Pruitt is another loss as well. Like you said, talent will be there on the line, just young and inexperienced. But a ton of upside if they work hard. Excited to see how they do next year!
PHSForever Wrote:Great info and summary! This line was very diverse, with all of them being capable of playing multiple positions along the O and D lines. Wanted to point one thing out, one of the guard starters was actually senior Brandon Pruitt. Brock Runyon and Zach Akers rotated among backing up Pruitt and Hunter, and were even both in at the same time at times. Akers also served as a backup left and right tackle. Mattingly played some guard but was primarily defense at NG or DT. So Pruitt is another loss as well. Like you said, talent will be there on the line, just young and inexperienced. But a ton of upside if they work hard. Excited to see how they do next year!

Brandon Pruitt will certainly be missed. Noticed all year long, and especially in the state championship game with Beechwood, how he battled on both sides of the line. He had some pretty good size going for him too. Like to see another one just like him take his place this season.
PHSForever Wrote:Great info and summary! This line was very diverse, with all of them being capable of playing multiple positions along the O and D lines. Wanted to point one thing out, one of the guard starters was actually senior Brandon Pruitt. Brock Runyon and Zach Akers rotated among backing up Pruitt and Hunter, and were even both in at the same time at times. Akers also served as a backup left and right tackle. Mattingly played some guard but was primarily defense at NG or DT. So Pruitt is another loss as well. Like you said, talent will be there on the line, just young and inexperienced. But a ton of upside if they work hard. Excited to see how they do next year!

My bad
Defensively there are still plenty of questions to go around.

The line returns DE Jackson Mullins and NT Matt Compton. But, as with the o-line they lose standout starters in DE Jesse Sparks and DT Bull Hunter. Mullins and Compton are both good players on Defense and I expect them only to get better. The Depth is the big question again, as Seniors Mattingly and Brandon Pruitt both stepped in and the D-Line didn’t miss a beat. Now they’re gone. There are talented candidates to step in and ease the pain in that department. Senior Noah Honaker has the bloodline. Sophomores Landon Hammock, who can play both DE and NT may actually push for the other starting DE spot and Corbin Robinson (I swear I’m being objective here) whose an an old school “Two Gap” NT should be in the mix to fill the gaps, literally!

I honestly believe our ‘Backers are the strength of our defense and the strongest position unit from top to bottom on the entire team for 2 reasons....1. There is talent and athleticism at every position and 2. They are the deepest position as well. This is the only position group that didn’t graduate anyone. Senior OLBs Jon Collum, Brody Birchfield, and Senior ILBs Caden Caudill and Connor Wright are all 3 year starters and all possess the ability and mentality that you ask for in Linebackers. Senior Drew Owens, Junior Nate Collins, Sophomores Barrett Caudill, Josh Taylor, and Bryce Dempsey and Freshman Carson Wright all have the ability to come in and give quality snaps if any of those guys need a spell. This Defense will only go as far as this group takes them.

The DBs story is almost a Carbon Copy of the WRs. Well miss the playmaking ability of Billiter and Watkins. But Pugh returns at CB and Hensley returns at safety. The other corner battle could come down between Junior Elijah Layne and Sophomores Zach Lockhart and Issac Coleman. Boyd-Blair and Junior Zach Rowe should be in the running for the other Safety spot.

Special Teams-Tanner Hamilton returns for his 3rd year as Kicker. Kid has a good leg, but the biggest problem was getting the snap and hold down for him to kick it. I’m sure this will be a point of emphasis this off season. Pugh returns as the Punter for the 3rd year and has been a consistent punter for Pikeville.

The Coaching Staff is still the best in 1A. It all starts at the top. If anyone ever tells Coach Howard I said this I’ll deny it: When his career is over, Chris MacNamee will be the best that’s ever coached down here. The numbers will back me up on that when that day comes, hopefully many years from now. The additions of Brad Allen and Yogi Davis made an already loaded staff even stronger. Not just with good football coaches but good men as well.

With the tough schedule they are playing and the competition in the east only getting tougher. Nobody in Pikeville is booking any hotel reservations in Lexington yet. But, this team has potential and is working hard in offseason conditioning. CANT WAIT TILL AUGUST! HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!