Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Post Article On Prestonsburg's 93 State Finals Team
Hatz Wrote:Or it could read about how grateful Mayfield should be they weren’t facing Danville that day. :biglmao::biglmao:
:biglmao:
Westside Wrote:With that being said Prestonsburg had a really good offensive line. They looked like a college line. They were all really big and in shape. None of them looked sloppy. Seth Hyden was an amazing back who walked on at EKU and played as a true freshman on the defensive side of the ball back when EKU was a national D1 AA power. As a matter of fact they reached the quarter finals of the playoffs Seth's freshman year and were knocked out of the playoffs on the road by eventually nation champ Youngstowe State in a game that went back and forth. So Hyden was a special talent as was Dwayne Garza.

Do you remember who all they played that year?
pjdoug Wrote:Do you remember who all they played that year?

I don’t know who Prestonsburg played but the Ads beat the AAA and AAAA runner ups.
pjdoug Wrote:Do you remember who all they played that year?

Prestonsburg went undefeated in their district beating Whitesburg, M.C.Napier, Sheldon Clark, Shelby Valley, Pike Central, Magoffin County, and Morgan County. They also beat Belfry. In the playoffs they beat Lewis County (52-0), Lawrence County (51-6), Russell (21-0), and Danville (16-15 2OT).
The last Associated Press Poll issued going into the playoffs was 1) Danville, 2)Prestonsburg, 3) Owensboro Catholic, 4) Russell, 5)Rockcastle County, 6) Mayfield.

Last Litkenhous Ratings. 1) Danville 97.3 (2)Rock castle Co 76.1, (3)Russell 72.9, (4)Mayfield 72.1, (5)Anderson County 71.6, (6)Prestonsburg 70.8.
I was at that game. I knew Mayfield was going to get to the State Title game because the West was so weak that season. I figured it was going to be Danville and they would beat us for about the 4th year in a roll. Mayfield had a chance to beat Danville the other seasons but this was a weak Mayfield team and Danville was really good. Mayfield played Fort Knox in the semi that afternoon after Thanksgiving, they had Homer the running back and he was shut down. I was at work that night and found out the score and was shocked Prestonsburg beat Danville, a truly amazing feat. The game was played in the mud as I was told and probably helped some in the outcome.
Then up at the old fairgrounds Mayfield and Prestonsburg played. The game was played in the rain, as the article said Prestonsburg got up 12-0 and it didn't look good for Mayfield but then the pass came and Mayfield got a score and I thought Mayfield had a chance. Prestonsburg got pinned back near their own goal and had to punt and I remember thinking about a bad snap and it happened, Mayfield got the ball and scored from around the 6 yd line. Prestonsburg got the ball and made a furious effort to score. Unfortunately they made a penalty that denied them. I would love to trade this championship to Prestonsburg and take one of our loses in a State Title game, if I could. I remember the Morris kid the most, he was a stud player. Prestonsburg had a truly remarkable season. The Prestonsburg team of 93 will always be remembered!
Westside Wrote:Prestonsburg went undefeated in their district beating Whitesburg, M.C.Napier, Sheldon Clark, Shelby Valley, Pike Central, Magoffin County, and Morgan County. They also beat Belfry. In the playoffs they beat Lewis County (52-0), Lawrence County (51-6), Russell (21-0), and Danville (16-15 2OT).

Thanks. it's sad that a couple of those teams are no longer around.
Westside Wrote:With that being said Prestonsburg had a really good offensive line. They looked like a college line. They were all really big and in shape. None of them looked sloppy. Seth Hyden was an amazing back who walked on at EKU and played as a true freshman on the defensive side of the ball back when EKU was a national D1 AA power. As a matter of fact they reached the quarter finals of the playoffs Seth's freshman year and were knocked out of the playoffs on the road by eventually nation champ Youngstowe State in a game that went back and forth. So Hyden was a special talent as was Dwayne Garza.

Seth could absolutely smash a dude. His ability to hit didn’t coincide with his size. He could clear a lane in basketball too. Just put his head down and go. Strong
I’d like to ad that a good friend of mine played for JC in both football and basketball. He’s a big of a JC homer as anyone alive. He’s been a football ref for over 20 years now..
He told me on several occasions “ I hate Prestonsburg with everything in me but you boys got screwed on that holding call, I’d never have called that or I don’t think I know another ref that would “..
Westside Wrote:The last Associated Press Poll issued going into the playoffs was 1) Danville, 2)Prestonsburg, 3) Owensboro Catholic, 4) Russell, 5)Rockcastle County, 6) Mayfield.

Last Litkenhous Ratings. 1) Danville 97.3 (2)Rock castle Co 76.1, (3)Russell 72.9, (4)Mayfield 72.1, (5)Anderson County 71.6, (6)Prestonsburg 70.8.
Is that the AA rankings going into the playoffs that year?
barrel Wrote:Is that the AA rankings going into the playoffs that year?

Yes
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Mayfield fans are self centered and need the attention. Y’all have been on here long enough to know that.

Pretty broad statement, not all of us share mayfield Cardinals opinion on this topic.
Hatz Wrote:Or it could read about how grateful Mayfield should be they weren’t facing Danville that day. :biglmao::biglmao:

Right , or how Danville is glad they didn’t face mayfield this year if your gonna go there.

I've noticed preacher how you love to bring up Danville facing Mayfield and while its true they have beaten Mayfield nearly ever time when Danville has had a good to great team. I could only wish that they could play every season. Nobody from Mayfield has said one thing about Danville's pitifull season this year or who knows when they will be a contender again.
rookie57 Wrote:Right , or how Danville is glad they didn’t face mayfield this year if your gonna go there.

You know Danville always enjoys spanking the birds.
rookie57 Wrote:Right , or how Danville is glad they didn’t face mayfield this year if your gonna go there.

Oh I agree totally.
Snakesnot Wrote:I've noticed preacher how you love to bring up Danville facing Mayfield and while its true they have beaten Mayfield nearly ever time when Danville has had a good to great team. I could only wish that they could play every season. Nobody from Mayfield has said one thing about Danville's pitifull season this year or who knows when they will be a contender again.

Ahh, but the topic at hand on this thread was 1993. :Thumbs:

Actually it might be a while til Danville is contending again.
Hatz Wrote:Good read. Could have focused more on the Danville game. That was one of the biggest games and even upsets in my mind. That was the best if Danville’s 4 year dynasty. Even ranked #1 in Lit ratings. If not for the Blackcats win Danville would have won 59 in a row.

Danville obliterated Belfry 53-14 in the Pike County Bowl in 93. That was literally the most over-matched I have ever seen a Belfry team in my lifetime. Belfry has taken some beatings to great teams, but Danville easily could have won by 70 if they wanted that day. They called the dogs off in the 2nd Half. Danville ran a toss sweep and literally could have scored on it every time.

I remembered thinking Danville had no chance of losing in Class 2A. Belfry played Pburg a few weeks later at Pburg and only lost 12-3. Belfry finished 4-7 in '93 with a first round loss to Cawood.

When Pburg beat Danville it literally shocked the entire State.

'93 was also the first time Belfry played Ironton, Ohio. Ironton won 47-14.

That was a LOADED Tiger team with Jermon Jackson at RB (Went on to Ohio State). Ironton was the State Runner-Up that year in Ohio Division 3.

Danville was a far superior team to even that great Ironton squad that year.
Hatz Wrote:Ahh, but the topic at hand on this thread was 1993. :Thumbs:

Actually it might be a while til Danville is contending again.

True and it also was about Prestonsburg playing Mayfield. I think we all know more than likely Danville would have beaten Mayfield in 93.
ATLCAT aka EKULum05

Tell your buddys over at the other site that you can watch a replay of the game at Mayfield Cardinals Football. Look in the media center.
Snakesnot Wrote:I was at that game. I knew Mayfield was going to get to the State Title game because the West was so weak that season. I figured it was going to be Danville and they would beat us for about the 4th year in a roll. Mayfield had a chance to beat Danville the other seasons but this was a weak Mayfield team and Danville was really good. Mayfield played Fort Knox in the semi that afternoon after Thanksgiving, they had Homer the running back and he was shut down. I was at work that night and found out the score and was shocked Prestonsburg beat Danville, a truly amazing feat. The game was played in the mud as I was told and probably helped some in the outcome.
Then up at the old fairgrounds Mayfield and Prestonsburg played. The game was played in the rain, as the article said Prestonsburg got up 12-0 and it didn't look good for Mayfield but then the pass came and Mayfield got a score and I thought Mayfield had a chance. Prestonsburg got pinned back near their own goal and had to punt and I remember thinking about a bad snap and it happened, Mayfield got the ball and scored from around the 6 yd line. Prestonsburg got the ball and made a furious effort to score. Unfortunately they made a penalty that denied them. I would love to trade this championship to Prestonsburg and take one of our loses in a State Title game, if I could. I remember the Morris kid the most, he was a stud player. Prestonsburg had a truly remarkable season. The Prestonsburg team of 93 will always be remembered!

Homer had to be a freshman in "93", because he was a stud in the "96" Class 2A finals against Breathitt.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Homer had to be a freshman in "93", because he was a stud in the "96" Class 2A finals against Breathitt.

I guess he was.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Homer had to be a freshman in "93", because he was a stud in the "96" Class 2A finals against Breathitt.

Snakesnot Wrote:I guess he was.

Cypes Tyler was the MF middle linebacker on the 93 team and never played again. He maybe the biggest reason we won that day. I had visions of the NFL for him, he was that good but only on the field. Crazy that each had a prominent players that was a frosh that year
http://www.mayfieldcardinals.net/?page_id=316
This link works for me and is a video of the game discussed in this article. It has longtime Mayfield commentator Roth Stratton along with the (then) just retired head coach Jack Morris on the announcing. I loved hearing the passion coming from the Prestonsburg guys on the radio broadcast. I hope the link works. Just thought everyone might want to see the actual video. Happy New Year!
SImpleplan Wrote:http://www.mayfieldcardinals.net/?page_id=316
This link works for me and is a video of the game discussed in this article. It has longtime Mayfield commentator Roth Stratton along with the (then) just retired head coach Jack Morris on the announcing. I loved hearing the passion coming from the Prestonsburg guys on the radio broadcast. I hope the link works. Just thought everyone might want to see the actual video. Happy New Year!

simple, for me to watch it I had to click the Media Center tab then click on the image for that game and I could watch
Good to hear, MC!
SImpleplan Wrote:Good to hear, MC!

Actually I clicked on the wrong link on yours. As the old saying goes, you cant teach stupid and I was stupid