Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids from non football playing schools
There are a bunch of high schools out there that don't offer football. At the same time, I'm sure there are some kids in those schools that would love the opportunity to play. Should there be some kind of rule to allow these kids to play for a neighboring school without that kid having to transfer?

In just far West Ky, for example, you have Hickman Co, Carlisle Co, St Mary, Lyon Co, Livingston Co, even Fulton City, who had to forfeit a majority of there games for lack of enough players. Other parts of the state have just as many or more schools w/o a football team.

Should the KHSAA implement a rule allowing kids from these schools to play for other public schools who do offer football?
At one time there was a rule that allowed ANY student to go to a neighboring school within the county district or something along those lines, to participate in any sport that their school didnt offer.
Unless it's changed in the last decade, a kid can live in 1 county, and play for another if their home school doesn't offer football. Dated a woman that had 2 sons that lived in, and attended Lyon county, but they played football for Caldwell county. They where either elementary or middle school aged, she said they could attend Lyon county, and play for Caldwell, but that if they wanted to keep playing once they got in high school that they would have to attend Caldwell county high school. No I don't think personally you should be able to attend one high school, and play for another simply because you would have players on teams that are not counted towards that schools enrollment. Example would it be fair to other 2a schools if Caldwell County had 20 players playing for them in high school that attend Lyon county, and are not even counted towards their enrollment because they are enrolled at another school. I think you should have to attend where you play. I know a kid that plays for crittenden, but lives in caldwell, and his parents have to drive him to school in crittenden for him to play there, and that's the way it should be. Can't let kids play for a school if they don't attend that school, and get counted in enrollment, or you will open up a big can of worms.
Good lord no. I would say they should have the freedom to do a non restrictive transfer. But then if you transfer back you are subjective to all bylaw penalties.
That would open the door to home school students, students who attend charter schools and students who attend small private schools. Issues would abound.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Unless it's changed in the last decade, a kid can live in 1 county, and play for another if their home school doesn't offer football. Dated a woman that had 2 sons that lived in, and attended Lyon county, but they played football for Caldwell county. They where either elementary or middle school aged, she said they could attend Lyon county, and play for Caldwell, but that if they wanted to keep playing once they got in high school that they would have to attend Caldwell county high school. No I don't think personally you should be able to attend one high school, and play for another simply because you would have players on teams that are not counted towards that schools enrollment. Example would it be fair to other 2a schools if Caldwell County had 20 players playing for them in high school that attend Lyon county, and are not even counted towards their enrollment because they are enrolled at another school. I think you should have to attend where you play. I know a kid that plays for crittenden, but lives in caldwell, and his parents have to drive him to school in crittenden for him to play there, and that's the way it should be. Can't let kids play for a school if they don't attend that school, and get counted in enrollment, or you will open up a big can of worms.

This was my understanding oh it too
I know that when Matt Thomas attended Rose Hill, he played Basketball for Rose Hill and Football for Fairview. By high school though, he was back at Ashland. Great athelete from a great family. He was a thorn in our side from JFL through out HS in either sport. Kind of a side bar but just threw it out there lol.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Unless it's changed in the last decade, a kid can live in 1 county, and play for another if their home school doesn't offer football. Dated a woman that had 2 sons that lived in, and attended Lyon county, but they played football for Caldwell county. They where either elementary or middle school aged, she said they could attend Lyon county, and play for Caldwell, but that if they wanted to keep playing once they got in high school that they would have to attend Caldwell county high school. No I don't think personally you should be able to attend one high school, and play for another simply because you would have players on teams that are not counted towards that schools enrollment. Example would it be fair to other 2a schools if Caldwell County had 20 players playing for them in high school that attend Lyon county, and are not even counted towards their enrollment because they are enrolled at another school. I think you should have to attend where you play. I know a kid that plays for crittenden, but lives in caldwell, and his parents have to drive him to school in crittenden for him to play there, and that's the way it should be. Can't let kids play for a school if they don't attend that school, and get counted in enrollment, or you will open up a big can of worms.

I agree 100%. But if the rule allows it, it is what it is. Personally, I'm suprised we dont see or hear more of it.
For HS athletics you can’t go to one school and play for another. MS is the same way. In the Lyon Co and Caldwell Co example it sounds like they were playing in a youth/rec league.
Everyone has to understand the KY regulations on this. It is not where you LIVE, its where you are ENROLLED.

To play a sport for a school, you have to be ENROLLED in said school. Where you live is not relevant.
Wasn't Tim Tebow home schooled and played for a local high school? Could you imagine the recruiting battles?
E's Army Wrote:Wasn't Tim Tebow home schooled and played for a local high school? Could you imagine the recruiting battles?
Yes he was. The rule that allowed him to do it was referred to as The Tebow Rule but I don’t think it exists anymore in FL.
plantmanky Wrote:Everyone has to understand the KY regulations on this. It is not where you LIVE, its where you are ENROLLED.

To play a sport for a school, you have to be ENROLLED in said school. Where you live is not relevant.

Incorrect.

2010 Pike County Central had to forfeit a seasons worth of games because of kids ATTENDING Pike County Central that LIVED in Breathitt County. Where you live does matter to an extent.
Real Badman Wrote:Incorrect.

2010 Pike County Central had to forfeit a seasons worth of games because of kids ATTENDING Pike County Central that LIVED in Breathitt County. Where you live does matter to an extent.

The players/families had reported bonified change of residence when in fact there wasn’t one which made them ineligible. So PCC was knowingly playing ineligible players.

Where you live only matters at the local school district level, not at the state level.

Those kids in 2010 were ineligible because they never changed addresses when transferring schools. That is a totally different issue.

When the kids parents report living somewhere else and the football coach drives him to school every day...

Then... yes, where you live could be of substance lol
plantmanky Wrote:Everyone has to understand the KY regulations on this. It is not where you LIVE, its where you are ENROLLED.

plantmanky Wrote:Where you live only matters at the local school district level, not at the state level.

Those kids in 2010 were ineligible because they never changed addresses when transferring schools. That is a totally different issue.

No, they did change their address to a Pike County residence. There is a limitation that exists, how far it is, I'm not sure, but it exists. You're right KDE doesn't give a hoot, but we are talking KHSAA level. I would stick to what you know, because it obviously isn't the rules.
Real Badman Wrote:No, they did change their address to a Pike County residence. There is a limitation that exists, how far it is, I'm not sure, but it exists. You're right KDE doesn't give a hoot, but we are talking KHSAA level. I would stick to what you know, because it obviously isn't the rules.

The where you live aspect of this is not a state level aspect (KDE or KHSAA), thats what I am trying to tell you. If it was then kids that live in Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, West Virginia would not be allowed to to play, but they can, if they are enrolled in a KY School.

The only time the State cares about where they live, is when a student changes enrollment from one school to another. (that is a completely different issue than the one being addressed in this thread.)
plantmanky Wrote:The where you live aspect of this is not a state level aspect (KDE or KHSAA), thats what I am trying to tell you. If it was then kids that live in Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, West Virginia would not be allowed to to play, but they can, if they are enrolled in a KY School.

The only time the State cares about where they live, is when a student changes enrollment from one school to another. (that is a completely different issue than the one being addressed in this thread.)

I promise you if I live in Pikeville and attempt to enroll my child as a freshmen in Simon Kenton, he would be deemed ineligible to compete.
Real Badman Wrote:I promise you if I live in Pikeville and attempt to enroll my child as a freshmen in Simon Kenton, he would be deemed ineligible to compete.

I must be bored. If Simon Kenton allows him to enroll as a freshman haveing never played varsity athletics then KHSAA could care less. Now, if Simon Kenton allowed him to enroll after playing varsity and he still lived in Pikeville the KHSAA would rule him ineligible.
I think the old rule in regards to playing sports for a school that offers a sport your current school does not was based on where you lived and not on where your school was. I went to a small private school that did not offer football so when I got to the 7th grade I had the option to play football at Somerset as that was the district I lived in. Another kid at the same school played football at Pulaski though, while still attending the private school (which was actually in Southwestern's district, FWIW). I ended up just transferring to Somerset, but just wanted to put that out there that that's how the rule used to be to my knowledge. This was mid to late 90s.
Real Badman Wrote:I promise you if I live in Pikeville and attempt to enroll my child as a freshmen in Simon Kenton, he would be deemed ineligible to compete.
Past distance how is that any different then kids that don’t live in Kenton Co and attend and play sports for Simon Kenton?

People keep using MS as an example. MS is a different animal. Until recently the KHSAA and the state didn’t care at all about MS athletics. Each school district could do whatever they wanted. I guess that is still somewhat true though conference rules, insurance and other matters typically restrict it in today’s world.

By who?

Kenton Co School district, correct, they wouldnt enroll him with a non county address, thats a local school district decision.

KHSAA would have no standing to even evaluate the situation.
plantmanky Wrote:By who?

Kenton Co School district, correct, they wouldnt enroll him with a non county address, thats a local school district decision.

KHSAA would have no standing to even evaluate the situation.
Well then I don’t know who’s address they are using if that’s the case. I was under the impression Kenton would take you out of district (including out of county) if you paid.