Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left Behind
Why are some of the top players not getting basketball scholarships to Colleges?
Like who?
John Smith of Harlen Kyle Simpson of Cumberland
maybe colleges see something in them that you dont and they dont want them to play for em? Ever thought of that?
You sound like a person that does not have a kid best interest. If a kid plays 4 years for a coach and have a passion and some talent they should be a school playing ball and continuing there education........Even if it is a jr. college, d2, or d3 not one should be left behind..........but maybe you did not understate the statement..yea I thought about that
Why are you making such lousy topics?

If a college doesn't recruit them, they aint playing, obviously they aint as good as you're saying.
a lot of it has do with the perception that our kids won't stay if they go. I've talked to a few college coaches that have said that. Both those guys that were mentioned are mostly scorers and they would have to play point in college.
Size may have a lot to do with this as well. Colleges don't want 5'10 point guards unless their worldbeaters, and most don't want 6'0 SGs. Other than that, I mean, maybe these kids aren't just what colleges are looking for, they may be good around here, but that doesn't mean that colleges are going to recruit them. Besides, colleges aren't going to just hear about a kid from Eastern Kentucky unless their amazing without the player getting their name out to those colleges, so they can come and watch, and maybe recruit.
Pikeville and Alice Lloyd both have Junior Varsity programs that sign local talent, that being said, Im suprised one of those squads didnt look at signing Trai Witt from Betsy Layne. I know Gary Gibson at Alice Lloyd has signed project big men the past couple of years.
I'm surprised Ryan Collins hasn't been offered a scholarship. IMO, he's good enough to play somewhere locally.
Doughnut23 Wrote:You sound like a person that does not have a kid best interest. If a kid plays 4 years for a coach and have a passion and some talent they should be a school playing ball and continuing there education........Even if it is a jr. college, d2, or d3 not one should be left behind..........but maybe you did not understate the statement..yea I thought about that

It doesnt sound like that to me, all the person said was maybe they was not what college coaches were looking for. Just because you play high school ball for 4 years doesnt mean you should get a scholarship to play college basketball. I am pretty sure if they was college level players that they would have been picked up by someone.

clipperw Wrote:Pikeville and Alice Lloyd both have Junior Varsity programs that sign local talent, that being said, Im suprised one of those squads didnt look at signing Trai Witt from Betsy Layne. I know Gary Gibson at Alice Lloyd has signed project big men the past couple of years.

I think Trai is going to Pikeville isnt he? I seen him in their open gym along with his mom and dad. If I am not mistaken, he signed with Pikevilles JV team.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I think Trai is going to Pikeville isnt he? I seen him in their open gym along with his mom and dad. If I am not mistaken, he signed with Pikevilles JV team.

I hadnt heard anything about him, usually the Floyd County Times or WYMT do a good job of giving those signings mentions. I hope he's able to do well at Pikeville though!

As far as why some players are left behind, I would think a reason would be not enough scholarships to go around. Pikeville and Alice Lloyd sign quite a few players from the mountain regions. Some of the players that sign with Alice Lloyd dont last very long, they wind up badmouthing Coach Gibson which is sad because at least he gave them a chance to continue their careers and get an education in the process.
A good high school basketball player does not always make a good college player. A lot of things have to be considered besides basketball when going to college. And a lot of kids are not ready to leave home for a multitude of reasons.
I am not for sure that Trai is going to Pikeville, I did see him in their open gym a time or two. I will find out for sure this week though and post it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.