Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
26 Of 32 Texas High School Football Coaches Left Earn $100,000+
I saw this article online, and it is amazing at the difference in pay between states when it comes to high school football. I'm curious to who the good paid coaches in Kentucky are.

The latest report on Texas high school football coaching salaries is particularly timely, with the state playoffs entering the quarterfinal round this weekend. With that framework in mind, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram took a look at the salary of each coach still leading their respective teams in the Class 5A and 6A playoffs.

Given two divisions within each classification, that makes for 32 head coaches. And the results are pretty startling: Of those 32 coaches, 26 earn more than $100,000 per year, and the other six are very close.

Per the Star-Telegram, only one coach still alive in the playoffs has an annual salary of less than $90,000; Beaumont West Brook’s Eric Peevey, who is paid $86,000.

For the record, the two highest salaries both come from powerhouse programs out of Austin: Lake Travis’ Hank Carter is paid $158,512 while Westlake’s Todd Dodge earns an even $150,000.

Terry Gambill, the coach at Super 25 No. 1 ranked Allen, earns $125,365 per year, only the third-highest in Class 6A Div. 1 and sixth highest across both divisions of Class 6A.

Full Article At the link below.

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/twenty-six-...fExvb-77ig
Westside Wrote:I saw this article online, and it is amazing at the difference in pay between states when it comes to high school football. I'm curious to who the good paid coaches in Kentucky are.

The latest report on Texas high school football coaching salaries is particularly timely, with the state playoffs entering the quarterfinal round this weekend. With that framework in mind, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram took a look at the salary of each coach still leading their respective teams in the Class 5A and 6A playoffs.

Given two divisions within each classification, that makes for 32 head coaches. And the results are pretty startling: Of those 32 coaches, 26 earn more than $100,000 per year, and the other six are very close.

Per the Star-Telegram, only one coach still alive in the playoffs has an annual salary of less than $90,000; Beaumont West Brook’s Eric Peevey, who is paid $86,000.

For the record, the two highest salaries both come from powerhouse programs out of Austin: Lake Travis’ Hank Carter is paid $158,512 while Westlake’s Todd Dodge earns an even $150,000.

Terry Gambill, the coach at Super 25 No. 1 ranked Allen, earns $125,365 per year, only the third-highest in Class 6A Div. 1 and sixth highest across both divisions of Class 6A.

Full Article At the link below.

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/twenty-six-...fExvb-77ig
Which one of these coaches should my school try to hire? Smile
I know this sounds a bit lame, but, I wonder what teachers in Texas get at those schools on average versus the pay that teachers get in Kentucky. It's a different world down there and if someone thinks that the good coaches in Kentucky should get more money here to even the pay table compared to Texas...I'd say the teachers deserve to be in line here too pay-wise.
Another thing to consider besides the cost of living down there versus here is....Who the hell wants to live in Texas? Dried out on the interior northern and western part, flooding from hurricanes on the eastern coastal areas and bombarded with illegals and drugs on the southern and western parts. Best of luck to them....they deserve the $ for living there and putting up with all of it.
That IS crazy money compared to what we hillbillies make.
pjdoug Wrote:Which one of these coaches should my school try to hire? Smile

I like your grill Dougie. What was held in the barrel pre-grill?
papagrit Wrote:I like your grill Dougie. What was held in the barrel pre-grill?

I think it had syrup in it and I burned it out a few times and seasoned before cooking in it. food grade barrels can be hard to find ,but that's what you really need to make a smoker. You can burn oil out,but I'd rather not Smile. Lexington Container Company has plenty with a liner for a cheaper price or new ones for $79. J&G at Gray off 25 E between Corbin and Barbourville have them for around $20. I got one on side of road at Tazewell for $10 and $5 for small barrel inside that holds my coals and wood.
The coach at my high school in Oxford Alabama makes $115,000.00 per year and doesn't teach. The highest paid high school coach in the state is Hoover's at over $130,000.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:The coach at my high school in Oxford Alabama makes $115,000.00 per year and doesn't teach. The highest paid high school coach in the state is Hoover's at over $130,000.
You beat me to it.I don’t think those guys in Texas teach...and the money the are showing is exactly that....money they are showing! I’m sure there are some under the table deals by rich oil tycoons
crazy money wish KY would pay more
These guys may have like 300 kids in their entire program- they’re practically an administrator. Plus Texas football is the cash cow for the other sports.
In texas the athletic director is an administrator position. Athletic director is full time. Most of these guys are AD and HFC. Whats even more awesome is the amount of assistants they have that have weight room duty all day and ISS all day without teaching.
I Allen ISD which is one of the largest in the state they have 3 assistant athletic directors making $123,000 $99,000 and $81,000
Plus the secretary at the athletic department makes $41,000 and the clerk makes $31,000.
Friday night lights!
The difference between kentucky and texas. Culture and demand. Everybody wants to watch texas football. Who besides people that live in kentucky want to watch kentucky football? No one. I remember growing up hearing about texas high school football.

Also I'm all for coaches getting paid more but is there any that want to put in the work that texas coaches put in?
Pike County BOE pays $3000 + 18 ED

Thats Philip Haywood - David Jones - Eric Ratliff - Anthony Hampton - Ben Runyon

Assistants get $2500 + 8 ED
Real Badman Wrote:Pike County BOE pays $3000 + 18 ED

Thats Philip Haywood - David Jones - Eric Ratliff - Anthony Hampton - Ben Runyon

Assistants get $2500 + 8 ED

Those are some righteous bucks considering the time these coaches put in. Às others have stated, high school football is actually a big buck business in Texas. That is why the coaches get paid what they get paid and schools are building multi million dollar stadiums. In Kentucky, it obvious coaches do it for the love of the game. Right or wrong, in Kentucky football is treated as an after though. That is why you constantly seeing coaches hanging up the whistle and taking administrative jobs. You get what you put into it, I guess.
Everything is bigger in Texas.
MountainSports Wrote:The difference between kentucky and texas. Culture and demand. Everybody wants to watch texas football. Who besides people that live in kentucky want to watch kentucky football? No one. I remember growing up hearing about texas high school football.

Also I'm all for coaches getting paid more but is there any that want to put in the work that texas coaches put in?

I don't want to watch Texas football.
Coaches in Georgia make very good money. Asst coaches get paid very good. I know of places in KY that still pay their coaches the supplements that they paid 30 years ago. This is the truth. It is a joke!!!!!
$2500 to coach high school football. All those hours away from their family for what, you could work weekends at Wal Mart during football season and make double that
When I was head coach of a middle school team, I'm sure I lost money. I was paid $3,500 for the year which was obviously taxed. I was then given $150 bucks for the year to buy what I needed. I spent $300+ on belts, snaps, mouth pieces (guards) etc before the season even started. I then bought 5 footballs on my own and bought 6 water bottles. At the end of the year we had 13 players on the A team. Our principal gave me $150 bucks to take them to a steakhouse to eat. The bill was a little over $350 so I paid the difference. Then, I wasn't given an assistant. I had a friend help me. I gave him $500 bucks out my own pocket for his help. What was even more funny was at the end of the season we played in a bowl game and was given t-shirts for our players. One of our starters chose to miss the game so he could go deer hunting. He asked me at school the following Monday if he could have a bowl game T-shirt. I told him that we were only given enough for the players who played in the bowl game. A few days later his mom came to school and jumped me because she was mad that her son didn't get a T-shirt. She said our team made a lot of money and that somebody was stealing it. Out of our 8 game schedule, we had one home game simply because we didn't have a home field. I don't know where all the money she was talking about came from.