•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Central 20. Corbin 19
Wow that's two mountain teams loosing 1A and 3A by a combined total of 2 points. I think this is a prime example of the fact that the best team don't always win. Sometimes it just comes down to who is better that given night. These two teams are pretty close, but in my opinion if they play 10 times Corbin wins 6 or maybe 7 out of 10. Congrats Corbin and Corbin BGR members on a great season. I know this has gotta hurt but maybe you find peace in the fact that you now have a program that has made it to state twice back to back years and your program is now a powerhouse that reloades rather then rebuild, so you will be right back here soon. I would give my left %@$ to see my Dawg's just get there one time. We have came very close several times in the state semifinals loose very close games then watch the team who beat us win the title game comfortably knowing it could have just as easily been us.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You're right. Runner up in 78

Not meaning to be a pill but Somerset was runner up in 1978. Hounds lost by one in 77 to Mayfield.
HOFER Wrote:Just heard there was a scuffle of some sort after the game. Anybody see anything?

One kid from Corbin didn’t shake hands. Same kid gets into it with a Central player. That got broken up by a Corbin teammate then the two Corbin players (the one that was in the scuffle and the one that broke it up) starting fighting. It was on the live stream but when the two Corbin players start fighting the camera panned over to the Central sideline.
Personally, I'd have gone for the extra point.. 3 yards is like a mile against a stout Central defense. Think about it. Corbin moved the ball pretty well all night, but, when the field got shortened, the yards became hard to come by. Give Central credit, that's there trademark. But, Central's offense is much better with more field in front of them. They struggle when the field shrinks because they aren't a great passing team and there play calling becomes very limited. I like my chances with the ball in Estep's hands and 4 plays to get it in better than I like it in Central's QB hands. Key on him and make him pass it to beat you. With Estep, he's going to make the right decisions in the RPO and less likely to turn it over. I just think kicking the extra point is the best decision in that situation.

Central was the more athletic team, had more team speed and had the better defense.. I thought Corbin had the best player in Estep, were better fundamentally and had a more complete playbook to work with. A 1 point game is about what I expected. I went back and forth all week on this one and honestly, if these teams played 10 times, they'd likely be 5-5. That's how close I thought these 2 teams were.
Hell overall record Middlesboro is top in in the state and look at that mess. I am looking at present and next couple years. Sure your program is better in tradition. Watch them tomorrow. Look at roster, and Corbin will be young. Don’t take it personal.
COACHITALL Wrote:Haddix just can’t take the points and be happy! He blew that game!

The entire state new that the QB was gonna run it. He’s still a great coach that has the balls to go for it but everyone knew the play
Hatz Wrote:80 not 78

That's twice in this thread you beat me to the punch! :Thumbs:
Not piling on Haddix because you know it's easy to armchair QB or Coach but in 2016 with a chance to possibly bury Belfry, he made a crazy call at the goal line lining up 3 or 4 running backs in the backfield straight across and trying some cockeyed play that didn't work. That play helped turn that game around. Congrats Jackets and tough one for the Hounds.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:That's twice in this thread you beat me to the punch! :Thumbs:

Good luck tomorrow
Hatz Wrote:Good luck tomorrow

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Personally I like that he went for the win. The game was not lost there anyway. It was lost in 1st half when they should have been up 20-0 at half.
WhyLie Wrote:Hell overall record Middlesboro is top in in the state and look at that mess. I am looking at present and next couple years. Sure your program is better in tradition. Watch them tomorrow. Look at roster, and Corbin will be young. Don’t take it personal.

Not taking it personal at all my friend. And I dont have to watch them tomorrow, I seen it live already! Lol! They beat us handily. I've also said all year I think, this year, JC is easily top 5 in the state in my opinion. But to say their "much more" than us is what I totally disagree with. Because next year will again be anyones game to win. But everyone has their opinion and I respect yours.
I haven’t read through all of this and it may have already been said, but Corbins holder on PAT and field goal went down in the first drive and had to be rushed to hospital. It showed after 1st TD as they struggled to get the ball down and missed the PAT. That would be looming in a coaches mind every time when deciding to kick or go for it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:It is what it is but I recall belfry having to get over the hump against a few central teams.
With the kids corbin has coming up, I'd be shocked if there isnt a state title in Corbin in the next 3 years

Let me first say that I was rooting for Corbin. But this wasn’t a Central team anywhere near as talented as they were from ‘07 to the middle part of this decade. Lastly, and most importantly, Belfry got there back to back trophies in ‘03-‘04 and then hit a big run of runner-up or title game winners a few years later. I don’t really see the comparison you’re trying to make since Corbin’s last titles were before Bon Jovi went platinum. For the record, I do think Haddix and the Hounds are capable of winning a title eventually, and I hope they do. But if you don’t question the decision making on multiple occasions tonight I question your knowledge of the game. I’d say the same to any poster or coach on this site.
HOFER Wrote:Haddix in laws just bought a house in Corbin right next to him. I dont think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Nope. He makes more money coaching at Corbin than his wife and she is a Doctor. LOL
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I haven’t read through all of this and it may have already been said, but Corbins holder on PAT and field goal went down in the first drive and had to be rushed to hospital. It showed after 1st TD as they struggled to get the ball down and missed the PAT. That would be looming in a coaches mind every time when deciding to kick or go for it.

Now that could be very well the reason for his play calling. Who knows. Regardless, very questionable.
They are outside building a privacy fence to not have to see him at this very moment.
Was the whistle blown after the last field goal attempt was blocked? Central kid picked it up, then threw the ball up which I would have considered a fumble. After people rushed the field, Corbin player took it to the end zone. Maybe I’m missing something
#55PirateFan Wrote:Now that could be very well the reason for his play calling. Didnt know that.

I figured most didn’t know and it’s easy to question, but most times there are reasons for coaches decisions.

As for the game it was everything a fan could hope for, Great football. Walked away with watching 2 amazing games today. Heart broke a little for Pikeville and Corbin.
HOFER Wrote:Just heard there was a scuffle of some sort after the game. Anybody see anything?
100% it was one of the most unsportsmanlike things I've saw in high school football. Video should be everywhere.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I haven’t read through all of this and it may have already been said, but Corbins holder on PAT and field goal went down in the first drive and had to be rushed to hospital. It showed after 1st TD as they struggled to get the ball down and missed the PAT. That would be looming in a coaches mind every time when deciding to kick or go for it.

Why I felt they should have tried to score a TD and not kick it to end the game. That's asking a lot of a kicker to make that type kick for a championship. Even professionals are not automatic from that distance.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:On a brighter note for the casual fans like myself, that's two title games decided by 2 points.

I said earlier this week that this would be the most competitive championship weekend in a very long time and so far it hasnt dissapointed

This weekend games did/do look competitive. After 11 of 12 games decided by 21 points or more last week its needed.
Congrats to Louisville Central! You earned the win.
My 2 cents, Corbin lost game in 1st half by not kicking at least 1 fg. I also say Central had the better athletes but Corbin had better team with way more discipline. So if a team has better athletes then imo it better to shorten field so there athleticism is not as much of a factor. Corbin bigger and strong so on the vegas odds are better for them in OT. I would have gone for the tie but really should have never been in that situation if 1st half decisions are slightly different. There is my 2 cents!!!!
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I figured most didn’t know and it’s easy to question, but most times there are reasons for coaches decisions.

As for the game it was everything a fan could hope for, Great football. Walked away with watching 2 amazing games today. Heart broke a little for Pikeville and Corbin.

I could defiantly understand him doing this if his holder was out. But let me ask you this. Why then with 4 seconds left did he then try a long FG, with a backup holder, instead of putting the ball in the hands of his stud QB with more field to work with and a better chance to score than a long FG? Odds were better for the extra point and back up holder after the TD than it was with the long FG at the end. Not trying to argue my friend. Just want your honest opinion on it.

I thought of that. Then why kick a field goal on the last play.
Superfly Wrote:The entire state new that the QB was gonna run it. He’s still a great coach that has the balls to go for it but everyone knew the play

Personally, I disagree. I don’t think he’s a great coach. Good coach ...yes. I think he’s innovative. I think he’s a good motivator. However.....great coaches know when to take over a game with adjustments and strategy. Great coaches know when to let his players “play” the game. Haddix took the game out of his kids hands IMO. This will be a hard one to recover from.
To be fair, Haddix hasn't had too many games where he has had to make tough decisions. They usually beat the crap out of people.

But, to me, you make that two-point conversion and everyone talks about how great of a coach you are. You miss it, everyone questions you.

I don't have a problem with the call.

Congrats to the Redhounds on a great season... hate to see it end.

Central's band has some bangers.
Personally, I thought Corbin was considerabley the better team, should have been up by at least 2 touchdowns at half. It looked to me like they even got the better end of the officiating ( except for that no hold call on pass, the guy tackled the Corbin reciver) and yer they still lost. I’d bet my money on Corbin EVERY time if they played 10 more games
HOFER Wrote:But i dont blame the players. Corbin was outcoached.

Imo, not out coached exactly. Imo Centrals offensive athletes make enough plays to get points, but since coach Scroggins has been gone aren't a well ran or executed offense. #1 is a special special athlete and #9 is as hard nosed a runner as you'll see who loves it between the tackles. Centrals defensive coaches are excellent. Haddix was just bad. Flatout horribly called game where I feel the coach wanted to me bravado and look like the star. Maybe i'm wrong. That's what I feel happened. Corbin kids didn't deserve that.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next