Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski County School System Has Dropped the Ball
As an outside fan I have never been more appaled then watching my son play at the county schools field and after tonight my feelings were confirmed. Remove the fact that Pulaskis field is dictating playoff games it is also a poor look for the county. This isn't a SW got cheated because of mud post either becasue after Playing at Southwestern earlier this year their field was not much better and they played three straight games on it, it to would've been a mud pit. While ar SW I asked a SW fan why the majority of the home sideline was covered in straw and they replied it was dug up in August to fix waterlines. Oddly enough when my son was a Freshman we played at SW (now a Junior so 2 years ago) the field had large hills throught where waterlines were dug and put in after the Bermuda had been put in. These fields look to be a hack job after the turf debacle and hopefully this has some opened some eyes. Sidelines at SW are concrete pads that have very little coverage grass growing knee high around fences. It just baffles me that a county with a strong economy and 2 perrenial top 10 5A schools play on two of the worst fields in the state.
itsatrap Wrote:As an outside fan I have never been more appaled then watching my son play at the county schools field and after tonight my feelings were confirmed. Remove the fact that Pulaskis field is dictating playoff games it is also a poor look for the county. This isn't a SW got cheated because of mud post either becasue after Playing at Southwestern earlier this year their field was not much better and they played three straight games on it, it to would've been a mud pit. While ar SW I asked a SW fan why the majority of the home sideline was covered in straw and they replied it was dug up in August to fix waterlines. Oddly enough when my son was a Freshman we played at SW (now a Junior so 2 years ago) the field had large hills throught where waterlines were dug and put in after the Bermuda had been put in. These fields look to be a hack job after the turf debacle and hopefully this has some opened some eyes. Sidelines at SW are concrete pads that have very little coverage grass growing knee high around fences. It just baffles me that a county with a strong economy and 2 perrenial top 10 5A schools play on two of the worst fields in the state.

Sounds like to me you should donate or rise a million dollars for a new field. Job done.
Do you think school districts can just magically find a extra million dollars laying around? The county might have a strong economy but I think it shows that a turf field is low on the totem pole to outside donors/boosters. More realistic approach would be to hire a company to reseed/grade the field and hire a part time groundsman year around.

JMO.
^^^ this. A good groundskeeper is key. I remember a lot of years back they tested our field. The guy who was doing it had put enough nitrogen on it that the test showed it didn’t need anymore for a whole year or so. Taking care of warm season grass and turf type grass isn’t easy. There is very much a science to it. You can lay down the best stuff out there, but if someone don’t know how to take care of it, you’re just throwing money in the fire. As for the other stuff, hills and etc. it sounds like they hired the wrong people to fix it. Didn’t Pulaski have some problems with “bad contracts” here in the last little bit? Overpaying people and companies they knew to do a job instead of bids. Maybe that has something to do with it as well?
Coach Denny from McCreary County was a grass genius. He could have both fields in great condition in short order
Didn't the school board give each school $200K just a year or two ago for field repairs and maintenance?
Tell the local politicians you would like to give more money in school taxes.
Ah heck, its football. You don't need carpet to play on. Cry me a river. Worlds to dang soft these days.
Ironically, Pulaski’s experience playing on that muddy field might be their lone advantage against CovCath. Just sayin’.
All three field in Whitley County are kept in immaculate shape.
Williamsburg. Whitley, and Corbin would never get in that shape.

It all starts with who's taking care of it. If you get your janitor to go out and mow it with and 80s model snapper once every two weeks then you get what you got.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Ironically, Pulaski’s experience playing on that muddy field might be their lone advantage against CovCath. Just sayin’.

If I were Pulaski I'd turn the sprinklers on so it became water polo instead of football because pulaski ain't beating cov cath in football
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:All three field in Whitley County are kept in immaculate shape.

It all starts with who's taking care of it. If you get your janitor to go out and mow it with and 80s model snapper once every two weeks then you get what you got.

We keep ours in good shape as well. It definitely isn't some tropical subsystem we have floating around the Lake Cumberland area that makes the field as bad as it is.
Pulaski's field has been bad for at least 10 years. I would expect more from a school with the program they have had.
If I were Pulaski county I’d worry more about preparing for Cov cath than I would field condition. Just saying.
I was at the game last night and the field does look like a cattle feeding lot. There is very little grass in side the 20’s on the outsides and that’s it. The rest wasn’t just muddy, it was sloppy. I was told a few years ago these programs had a lot of money coming in from bingo and they wanted to put in turf but wouldn’t because at that time, the economy was down and thought it would look bad. Do they still have this kind of money? I would expect their super to be in favor of helping the football programs because he’s a former coach.
And where exactly did I mention needing a turf field or a million dollars? I said the field was crap never stated my suggestion as to how to fix it. Pulaski County had both fields down to dirt in preparation for turf and voted against it not because it wasn't affordable but they felt bermuda was cheaper. So they threw it in, did not ensure fields drained properly, and added waterlines once they realized the fields needed some water. The SW parent said coach French has complained numerous times even on his radio show about how they aren't taken care of, even said the school mows it with a zero turn mower.
Regardless I never said they need a million dollars or turf field, so even after you landed from your jump to conclusions my point remains. They have dropped the ball. Fields and grounds are not maintained and where not installed very well and sort of last minute
E's Army Wrote:Coach Denny from McCreary County was a grass genius. He could have both fields in great condition in short order

He lives in Knoxville now and works on UT's various fields. But, with a phone call I bet he could recommend someone or give you a pointer or two in five minutes.
Real Badman Wrote:Tell the local politicians you would like to give more money in school taxes.

Confusednicker:

I love it!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:All three field in Whitley County are kept in immaculate shape.

Confusednicker:
Westside Wrote:Confusednicker:

They may have Forest Gump as their volunteer grounds keeper.

:bike:
Turf isn't always an answer to the problem.

Pulaski County schools would have to sink a major amount of money into drainage for both fields, then turf them both for soccer usage as well. Something tells me that project could approach 3 million plus and that's a hard number to reach for a school system in current state of budgets.

Solution? Fix the drainage issue in preparation for turf. Then have a capital campaign to match funds with the school board. Bet you get it then.
I think the game of football should only be played on natural surface.
This must have been the game I watched clips of on Sports Overtime, looked like the players had been mud wrestling!
CowboyDad Wrote:Turf isn't always an answer to the problem.

Pulaski County schools would have to sink a major amount of money into drainage for both fields, then turf them both for soccer usage as well. Something tells me that project could approach 3 million plus and that's a hard number to reach for a school system in current state of budgets.

Solution? Fix the drainage issue in preparation for turf. Then have a capital campaign to match funds with the school board. Bet you get it then.

Exactly my thoughts. Nobody said put in turf or that turf was the solution. To be honest from what I hear outside of the drains being higher than the surrounding playing surface poor maintenance may be the biggest issue. Turf is not a fix all it requires a large amount of maintenance as well, and as of now the last thing they need is another band-aid to fix all.
eh kids are snow flakes and most parents are too. Just play
Having played on Pulaski's field 15 years ago, I can say that it has definitely gotten worse as time has gone by; however, as a player, I never minded it. I knew there was less of a chance that my cleat would get caught and I'd blow my knee out. It's a bit annoying slipping and sliding everywhere, but both teams have to deal with it. As much as Hines has gone public with his desire to have turf, I honestly believe he secretly loves the mess come playoff time. PC's practice field runs right next to a creek that keeps it muddy most of the year, so the team gets used to it.

I fully expect Cov Cath to win on Friday, but they will have to adjust to something they haven't seen before, because if they don't, it might be closer than the experts think.
Good luck to Pulaski county....and the colonels.
cadets1988 Wrote:eh kids are snow flakes and most parents are too. Just play

It has nothing to do with the kids or parents. Your facilities are a direct reflection of your program. Look throughout the state how many top programs play on horrible unmaintained fields. Not many and these two teams in the same county have finished with 20+ wins for the last 5 years have been 1&2 with the winner playing or winning the state championship. No reason to have knee high weeds and slop pits for fields.
the best part of it is that refs let everything go because they do not want to throw their flags in the mud.
Willie Turnover Wrote:the best part of it is that refs let everything go because they do not want to throw their flags in the mud.

Confusednicker:
Willie Turnover Wrote:the best part of it is that refs let everything go because they do not want to throw their flags in the mud.
This is TRUE. Go look at the Pikeville vs Phelps game. Several instances where the refs took their flags out and waved them rather than throw them in the mud. Lol