Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class A Basketball is better?!!!!
I have seen a lot of bigger school saying that these small schools are recruiting players...You know what...GOOD!!! If many parents would understand that their kids are not going to play college ball, win a state title, or nothing that really matters in the grand scheme of things then they should MOST CERTAINLY send their kids to Class A schools...WHY you ask??? THERE IS MORE TO PLAY FOR. They have the Class A Region and State Tournaments, most are in Class A conference as well, and many times the atmosphere of these schools and games are way more exciting. The state will never classify by class (other than class A), but they should. It allows for more meaningful games, rivalries, and gives these school more to look forward and play for. LCA, UHA, and a few others are and have been doing it for years. Other Class A teams are starting to catch on and sale parents to this...I hope it keeps up until the we are classes like football. It doesn't water things down...IT MAKES FOR MORE INTERESTING POST SEASON PLAY. At the end of the class tournament if you still want an overall championship the take the winners of the classes and play another tournament. Just my thought of the day...what's you opinions???
Never have classes. Sweet 16 is the cash cow for KHSAA. Would enjoy seeing more teams having the opportunity to have success. Teams recruit from 6A to 1A.
E...I know, Sweet 16 is never going away. A lot of people have no idea how much more there can be to play for in Class A and classes in general. Just throwing my opinion out there. I love when I hear Class A teams loading up.
Elliott County, Shelby Valley, Paris, Hazard, Pikeville, Paintsville, LCA, Somerset, etc. are all teams that normally will compete for both their All A and regional titles.
You shouldn't love to hear about ANYONE loading up. With the exception of the few (moves for legitimate job opportunities, divorce, etc) you should play for the school whose district you reside in. This recruiting stuff is one of the main factors in lack of school pride.
Half of the 14th is 1A. Out side the 15th they are hands down the kings of recruiting in basketball.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:I have seen a lot of bigger school saying that these small schools are recruiting players...You know what...GOOD!!! If many parents would understand that their kids are not going to play college ball, win a state title, or nothing that really matters in the grand scheme of things then they should MOST CERTAINLY send their kids to Class A schools...WHY you ask??? THERE IS MORE TO PLAY FOR. They have the Class A Region and State Tournaments, most are in Class A conference as well, and many times the atmosphere of these schools and games are way more exciting. The state will never classify by class (other than class A), but they should. It allows for more meaningful games, rivalries, and gives these school more to look forward and play for. LCA, UHA, and a few others are and have been doing it for years. Other Class A teams are starting to catch on and sale parents to this...I hope it keeps up until the we are classes like football. It doesn't water things down...IT MAKES FOR MORE INTERESTING POST SEASON PLAY. At the end of the class tournament if you still want an overall championship the take the winners of the classes and play another tournament. Just my thought of the day...what's you opinions???

If you like the All A Classic, which I do, it makes no sense to have a Class A tourney at the end to eliminate the All A Classic and eliminate the opportunity to play in the true Sweet 16.
You can't have classes and then have the winners play at the end - worst idea I hear on this site. A state champion doesn't play anymore - that's the end. The best way to ruin a state title is to have a Class A champ lose by 50 to the 5A champ the next night.
I agree with the A. I played in the 10th and some of those A teams could be really good.

Nicholas could be a solid school but year in and year out have kids that some how play at Bourbon Co. or have left to play there.

Paris could be the best of the litter, but while they are always talented and athletic always seem to play with little discipline when it matters most.

I have a feeling eventually that Paris and Bourbon merge. Seems destined and when it happens that will be a sad time for sure in the area for history purposes.

I will say this. If you said to me, when i lived in the Lexington area, you can go to a game in Lexington or travel for a game in the 14th, 15th, or 16th. Or even drive over to Bracken Co or Augusta I would go to a small school above any big school.

The games in A are far and away the most electric games to go and watch. School and town pride is apparent. I wish I could be an assistant at a small school in the mountains. Nothing would bring me greater joy
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Elliott County, Shelby Valley, Paris, Hazard, Pikeville, Paintsville, LCA, Somerset, etc. are all teams that normally will compete for both their All A and regional titles.

i am sorry, in what way is LCA a 1A school. there is almost 1500 kids in that school. in that case, every school in the 13th, 14th, and 15 region would be a 1A school. but they could make a lot more money if they break it up unto classes.
cj2561 Wrote:i am sorry, in what way is LCA a 1A school. there is almost 1500 kids in that school. in that case, every school in the 13th, 14th, and 15 region would be a 1A school. but they could make a lot more money if they break it up unto classes.

Breaking it up into classes hasn't helped other states make more money - it would destroy the state tournament.
Lexington Christian has about 500 students.
HCS Wrote:Breaking it up into classes hasn't helped other states make more money - it would destroy the state tournament.

Most Class A schools are 300 and less...500 is to many to be considered Class A IMO.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Most Class A schools are 300 and less...500 is to many to be considered Class A IMO.

And as far as money is concerned...Julian Tackett and the other "TALKING HEADS" is who really gets the money. Yes schools get a very small piece of the pie, but the KHSAA is who makes the money...not the schools.
HCS Wrote:Breaking it up into classes hasn't helped other states make more money - it would destroy the state tournament.

on there web site it said they have a enrollment of 1448. so around 1500 kids. so every 500 kids is 2A or 3A numbers. still not a 1A school.
You only count high school in enrollment numbers.
cj2561 Wrote:i am sorry, in what way is LCA a 1A school. there is almost 1500 kids in that school. in that case, every school in the 13th, 14th, and 15 region would be a 1A school. but they could make a lot more money if they break it up unto classes.

That is for all kids enrolled in K-12 there. The high school has around 450 I believe.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:And as far as money is concerned...Julian Tackett and the other "TALKING HEADS" is who really gets the money. Yes schools get a very small piece of the pie, but the KHSAA is who makes the money...not the schools.

They run high school sports in Kentucky - that money helps them pay their expenses, salaries etc....That isn't going to change.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:And as far as money is concerned...Julian Tackett and the other "TALKING HEADS" is who really gets the money. Yes schools get a very small piece of the pie, but the KHSAA is who makes the money...not the schools.

Ah yes, the Julian is filling his pockets line, love that one.

:lame:
FarristownFlyer Wrote:I have seen a lot of bigger school saying that these small schools are recruiting players...You know what...GOOD!!! If many parents would understand that their kids are not going to play college ball, win a state title, or nothing that really matters in the grand scheme of things then they should MOST CERTAINLY send their kids to Class A schools...WHY you ask??? THERE IS MORE TO PLAY FOR. They have the Class A Region and State Tournaments, most are in Class A conference as well, and many times the atmosphere of these schools and games are way more exciting. The state will never classify by class (other than class A), but they should. It allows for more meaningful games, rivalries, and gives these school more to look forward and play for. LCA, UHA, and a few others are and have been doing it for years. Other Class A teams are starting to catch on and sale parents to this...I hope it keeps up until the we are classes like football. It doesn't water things down...IT MAKES FOR MORE INTERESTING POST SEASON PLAY. At the end of the class tournament if you still want an overall championship the take the winners of the classes and play another tournament. Just my thought of the day...what's you opinions???
You do know they are having a 2A this year right? So the only classes are 1A & 2A this year, who is to say that will stick around for the following year though.
Coach03 Wrote:You do know they are having a 2A this year right? So the only classes are 1A & 2A this year, who is to say that will stick around for the following year though.

I had heard that but hadn't confirmed it...I think it is great.
Coach03 Wrote:You do know they are having a 2A this year right? So the only classes are 1A & 2A this year, who is to say that will stick around for the following year though.

Hopefully that will take some of these teams out of the class A tourney because many have AA numbers
JerryGarcia Wrote:Hopefully that will take some of these teams out of the class A tourney because many have AA numbers

No, All A rules didn't change - an entirely different organization.
I am all for Class A schools. As long as the players are from that school district. Some class A schools would have enough players for a good Sunday school class. Transfers and Recruits to load up a Class A team is wrong. Just feeds the coaches egos. My opinion....
So much talk.
So little sense.
I like the All A Classic and the Sweet 16.

Both are great tournaments and I don’t know where they’re at on this 2A thing but I don’t know it’s necessary or helpful.

There are only a few schools in EKY that wouldn’t qualify for it. You would basically play your regional tournament early.

If you like Class A basketball, you already have a tournament for that. The Sweet 16 is the best high school tournament in the country IMO. I wouldn’t touch it.
here the 14th region break down.
53rd. Knott Co. Central- 613. Letcher Co Central- 921, Cordia 246 (Pre K-12), June Buchanan- 156.
54th. Hazard- 301, Perry Co Central- 936, Buckhorn- 314 (K-12), Leslie Co- 481.
55th. Breathitt Co- 558, Jackson City- 364 (Pre K-12), Wolfe Co- 358, Riverside Christian- 70 (K-12)
56th. Estill Co- 718, Powell Co- 679, Lee Co- 316, Owsley Co-339.

all but 4 played in the ALL A. the 4 team that does not played in the ALL A is PCC, LCC, Estill Co., and Powell Co.
What's the point of putting K-12 numbers for high school teams?
No way JBS has more than 30 or so in high school.
HCS Wrote:What's the point of putting K-12 numbers for high school teams?
No way JBS has more than 30 or so in high school.

when I put the school up it have (let just use Jackson City, because it is pre K-12) Enrollment 364. then it have Grades taught- Pre K-12. then school type- Public. so to me it look like there is 364 kids in the school from Pre K to 12. that is way I have K-12 on some and some Pre K-12 on some. the other one just high school.
The actual 9-12 numbers are on the list I posted - it's confusing to run K-12 numbers with 9-12 numbers.
Only problem I have is the UHA's, Lex Cath, and Christian are considered small schools. They are private recruiting schools!