Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have people forgotten?
About "Pistol" Pete Maravich? I've seen questions on numerous sites asking who you think the all time NBA team should be, or who you think the top 5 PG's in history are and hardly anyone puts Maravich on the list. Why don't people give him recognition? If you've ever watched a highlight of him, he was amazing and was one of the best no look passers ever and could create his own shot. So why is it that people leave him off but put people like Jason Kidd as a top in history?
I think the fact that he was not a winner really hurts him. Yeah he would go out and put up the big numbers and make the fancy passes but his teams always sucked.
I once saw an interview with Dan Issel and he was ask about how good Pete was. His reply was this "Well, we would play LSU and Pete would score 50 and I would score 30 and we would win by 40".
He was one of my favorites of all time, read a book about him and watched the movie inspired about him. He was unreal.
I think he should be mentioned as one of the best of all time, but I would guess some would say he never elevated the teams he was playing on record wise ala Jason Kidd has done with New Jersey. I saw a documentary about him and I have to agree with Curry Kirkpatrick when he said the best thing that could have happened to Maravich would have been going to Boston early in his career. Had his knees not betrayed him, I think he could have lasted a few extra years in Boston and they may have won another NBA title in the 80's.
never got to see him play other than on film but Jerry Clower said if he had used both hands he would have been the greatest haaaaaaaaaaaaw.
Some good videos of him on youtube
Here's a good video of Pete
i think he was a better college player than an nba player
pistol pete was serious
t-cat50 Wrote:pistol pete was serious

I bet he was as serious at basketball as some members of BGR are about getting enough post to play in the arcade. Rolleyes

Seriously though, Jason Kidd and others learned their moves from Pistol Pete and there is no question he should be mentioned as one of the best guards of all-time. Pete was decades ahead of others and if he played in today's NBA, he would receive the recognition he deserved back then. Gave his heart and body to basketball and died playing a pickup game in a church league. He was also a vessel used by Christ.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I bet he was as serious at basketball as some members of BGR are about getting enough post to play in the arcade. Rolleyes

Seriously though, Jason Kidd and others learned their moves from Pistol Pete and there is no question he should be mentioned as one of the best guards of all-time. Pete was decades ahead of others and if he played in today's NBA, he would receive the recognition he deserved back then. Gave his heart and body to basketball and died playing a pickup game in a church league. He was also a vessel used by Christ.
yeah pistol pete was good but i need to try to beat my old score on pool jam
t-cat50 Wrote:yeah pistol pete was good but i need to try to beat my old score on pool jam

Amazing. Smile