Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realignment in the 15th?
On one of the girls b-ball threads a while back, it was mentioned that someone had heard that the 15th region and its districts may be re-aligned in the near future, possibly gaining a team or two from another region.

Moves that were mentioned included Magoffin into and Betsy Layne out of the 58th, Letcher Central into the region, and David maybe not competing in district play (I myself then guessed that if Letcher Central moved, Jenkins would likely move too).

The realignment discussion was kinda off-topic on that thread, so it just died out, but I am still curious. Anyone heard anything concrete about possible moves? If so, when would these moves officially happen?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I believe no moves can be made for the upcoming season because the time frame to vote on any possible changes has passed. However, I've heard that there are those in the 57th district that want to downsize by moving Magoffin County to the 58th and Betsy Layne moving to a Pike County district, the 60th I believe.

I just hope there is someone with enough clout to stop such a move and keep the Floyd County Conference intact. I personally think bigger districts make for better competition. Keep the 57th with 5 teams, incorporate all Pike County teams into 1 district. I wouldn't be against FC absorbing the David School or Piarist as long as Floyd County itself stayed intact.

Lets be honest and I'd like to hear from Pike County fans on this: Have the 60th & 59th District tournament meant as much or been as exciting in recent years with 3 teams and the addition of Piarist/David as opposed to the way it used to be? Why not create on Pike County district to create better interest and bigger crowds for district tournament?

Honestly though, I'd say moving all Pike County teams into district will never happen. There are more reasons why it can't and I know someone smarter than me could elaborate on that situation.
They simply cannot move all Pike Co. into one district because it would eliminate a district

59th
East Ridge
Pikeville
Shelby Valley

60th
Belfry
Phelps
Pike Central

What district would you eliminate?

From what I am hearing it will look like this in 2 years

59th
Jenkins
East Ridge
Shelby Valley
Pikeville

60th
Belfry
Sheldon Clark
Pike Central
Phelps

KHSAA is very, very, VERY, unhappy with David school(Pillersdorf ordeal), Piarist(not fielding a girls team after assuring KHSAA they would) so they will probably still be in but on a year to year basis.
NEXT Wrote:They simply cannot move all Pike Co. into one district because it would eliminate a district

What district would you eliminate?

I agree that the KHSAA doesn't want to eliminate an district, yet ust for argument sake, would you be against a 6 team district if that was an option?

58th District:
Allen Central, Betsy Layne, David, Piarist, Prestonsburg, South Floyd

59th District:
Belfry, East Ridge, Phelps, Pike Central, Pikeville, Shelby Valley

It would make for better district tournaments, more excitement/importance on regular season district games = bigger crowds and more money. I don't think anyone in Floyd County wants to travel to Magoffin County for a district game, neither do Pike County fans want to travel to Jenkins for a district game.
It will be a cold day before Pike Co combines districts.
The coaches and administrators would go ape.
That would mean two less regional reps.
I've heard the next shake up will move Jenkins to the 59th and David to the 60th.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I agree that the KHSAA doesn't want to eliminate an district, yet ust for argument sake, would you be against a 6 team district if that was an option?

58th District:

59th District:

It would make for better district tournaments, more excitement/importance on regular season district games = bigger crowds and more money. I don't think anyone in Floyd County wants to travel to Magoffin County for a district game, neither do Pike County fans want to travel to Jenkins for a district game.

I wouldn't have a problem with that but ER, Pikeville, and Phelps would simply go crazy.......
jammin' jamey Wrote:I agree that the KHSAA doesn't want to eliminate an district, yet ust for argument sake, would you be against a 6 team district if that was an option?

58th District:

59th District:

I agree with some of the other posters, there's no way that alignment would happen. Besides, I see no 60th, so that would leave the 15th region short a district. It's not like one of the other regions can spare an extra district either. Maybe a team or two, but not an entire district.

Here's what I think should happen:
57th and 58th stay the same
59th = Valley, ER, Letcher Central, Jenkins
60th = Pikeville, PC, Belfry, Phelps
(add Piarist or David in, if needed)

The only thing I don't like is splitting up Valley and Pikeville, that rivalry really seemed to be reborn this year and it would be a shame to break them apart. But, if that is what's best geographically...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You have to have 4 districts in each region. KHSAA will never go with 3 districts instead of four. There must be eight teams in the regional tournament
Tubby Hater Wrote:You have to have 4 districts in each region. KHSAA will never go with 3 districts instead of four. There must be eight teams in the regional tournament

It's eventually going to happen as long as schools become consolidated. What happens when Allen Central, Betsy Layne and South Floyd combine to create Floyd Central? It's going to happen down the road.
jammin' jamey Wrote:What happens when Allen Central, Betsy Layne and South Floyd combine to create Floyd Central?
57th--Paintsville...Johnson Central...Magoffin Co...Lawrence Co
58th--Floyd Central...Prestonsburg...David...Piarist...and add Knott Central
59th--Pikeville...Shelby Valley...Letcher Central...Jenkins...East Ridge
60th--Belfry...Phelps...Pike Central...Sheldon Clark

This is very hypothetical.
By the time Floyd Central comes to be, David may not be participating and Jenkins may get swallowed by Letcher Central.
THis isnt about the same region but if Letcher and Jenkins move to the 15th...what is the 53rd district in the 14th region which has Knott Central, LETCHER, JENKINS, June Buchanan and Cordia do? That district would lose two teams which is a good thing if you are the 54th because you wouldnt have the soon to be powerhouse in Letcher Central... but it also elimates a talented playing feild...nothing against Cordia and June Buchanan but in all aspects of the game and not just the boys but girls wise they cant match up with KCC and LCC.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:57th--Paintsville...Johnson Central...Magoffin Co...Lawrence Co
58th--Floyd Central...Prestonsburg...David...Piarist...and add Knott Central
59th--Pikeville...Shelby Valley...Letcher Central...Jenkins...East Ridge
60th--Belfry...Phelps...Pike Central...Sheldon Clark

This is very hypothetical.
By the time Floyd Central comes to be, David may not be participating and Jenkins may get swallowed by Letcher Central.

I don't know if that could happen, because that would involve taking 3 teams from the 14th region (LCC, KCC, and Jenkins) and I don't know if they could lose all of them. If your suggested alignment happened, though, it would stink to be in the 59th district! Man, that would be tough!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Needs to happen sooner than later....57th really get a bad deal with the 5 team district.