Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Idol
Last night's episode featured Letcher County, Kentucky. Of course the producers decided to perpetuate the myth that all Kentuckians are dumb, illiterate, hillbillies and found enough people who fit this description - complete without teeth or shoes! - to interview...:boosign:
Phoenix Wrote:Last night's episode featured Letcher County, Kentucky. Of course the producers decided to perpetuate the myth that all Kentuckians are dumb, illiterate, hillbillies and found enough people who fit this description - complete without teeth or shoes! - to interview...:boosign:
Smile I'm sorry, but I'm starting to find this stuff hilarious now. I mean we do have the highest unemployed rate around. That, in itself, puts a big bullseye on our backs.
BCF4L Wrote:Smile I'm sorry, but I'm starting to find this stuff hilarious now. I mean we do have the highest unemployed rate around. That, in itself, puts a big bullseye on our backs.

Yeah, it's something like 46th out of 50.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yet another reason to hate this awful show.
The funny thing was how they depicted us here as being poor and such, yet did anyone else catch the shot of the kid playing his guitar in class? That guitar is a Martin D-45 and worth something like $3,000 or so.

Yes, we are dirt poor. Help us.
I just heard the Govenor speak at Pikeville Medical Center, and the producers of the show pitched this as a success story for the strides that this school had made in the literacy, not the degrading story it was made out to be. He also said that is office has made it known to the producers their disappointment with the show.
Illiteracy needs to be shown more often... I think it's a good thing they are raising money to buy books and help kids... Easten KY is always going to be a place where illiteracy is known to be... like BCF4L said, with the unemployment rate being as high as it is here there will always be a bullseye on our backs
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:Illiteracy needs to be shown more often... I think it's a good thing they are raising money to buy books and help kids... Easten KY is always going to be a place where illiteracy is known to be... like BCF4L said, with the unemployment rate being as high as it is here there will always be a bullseye on our backs

I agree with that. I just found it funny how we are depicted so poor yet that kid had a $3,000 guitar playing it on TV. Smile
I noticed that too... I think every family around has at least 1 guitar lol
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think Gov. Fletcher's bashing of the program for portraying Appalachia in a poor light was out of line. I was reading his comments today in the paper and it just blows my mind. How long will politicans ignore those who are suffering here in the mountains? We should be ashammed that it has taken a TV show to reveal to the world that East KY still suffers from high illiteracy and it takes donations to help those kids out instead of help from folks like Mr. Fletcher.

The only thing that matters to politicans outside of East KY is how much natural gas/coal can be taken out of the mountains to be used throughout more affluent parts of our nation. Politicans have had decades to correct illiteracy problems in East KY, but their answer for that is a check at the first of month instead of a real opportunity at a better life - like a job and better education.

Gov. Fletcher says Kentucky has made great strides in curing illiteracy? Then why does it take a TV show to pull the covers down from the part of the state Fletcher likes to hide?

Where is a major university for East KY - Pikeville/Hazard/Prestonsburg? Where is an Interstate Highway for the mountains? The Interstate program was implemented in the 1960's and we still don't have a way out of the mountains. Will the Mountain Parkway ever be extended into the hills, with safety improvements and 4-lane travel from Prestonsburg to Lexington?

The last major politican to take a walk through the mountains was Robert Kennedy. Too bad there aren't more people like him with his dream for a better America.

That's my rant for the day.
Amen...excellent post.
FANTASTIC post JJ!