Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 6A Preseason Top Ten
Football season is almost here and it's time for some predictions.

#1 Trinity
My bias is obvious, but the Rocks have plenty of history to back them up. Coach Betty has run a monstrous team that won the state championship 13 years out of the 17 he has been the head coach. Losing Rondale Moore and Nick Bohn may hurt the offensive, but Trinity has been successful with first-year QBs in many years, and Stephen Herron will anchor the defense.

#2 Saint Xavier
Losing the head coach would mean a down year for most teams, but when you're getting Kevin Wallace that may not be the case. The St. X fans I've talked to say that he has really meshed well with the program and students. Given his success at Bowling Green and the resources available at St. X, Coach Wallace's will certainly have a team to watch out for.

#3 Scott County
In 2019 Great Crossings opens and Scott County moves down to 5A. This could be their last chance for a while to claim the 6A crown again. Last year they had great games against perennial powers: La Salle [OH], St. Xavier [KY], and Archbishop Moeller [OH]. Coach McKee has the athletes to win and the Cardinals will be hungry for it.

#4 Male
The public member of the 'Big Three' was down last year, not only getting blanked by Trinity and St. X, but also with a shocking loss to Butler in the playoffs. But they were young and return 18 starters this year. Coach Wolfe is never someone to be underestimated, and rumor has it that Male should have a strong offense and secondary.

#5 Ryle
It's not easy to choose between Simon Kenton and Ryle for the #5 spot, but Ryle returns over half the team: 12 total, 6 each on defense and offense. And last year they beat Simon Kenton head-to-head by 18 points. Only time will tell if Ryle can keep the NKY 6A crown, but talk around the program is positive and looking forward to their tough schedule this year.

#6 Simon Kenton
Simon Kenton despite, being edged out by Ryle, is a tough opponent and they should dominate most of their schedule. However, Ryle is the toughest opponent on their schedule and most of the other teams aren't close. This coupled with rumors that the playbook will be run heavy could see SK having a hard time against the stiff defenses found late in the playoffs.

#7 Butler
The Bears were the most surprising team last year with wins over Male, Manual, and Ryle. I may be underestimating them to put them here at 7 but I haven't heard much buzz about the program or its future since they lost to St. X in the third round. That could be Coach Wheeler playing his cards close to his chest or me just not knowing the right people. Either way, Butler has potential and could be a dark horse in 6A.

#8 Frederick Douglass
For a school with enrollment well below the 6A average FD convincingly punched above its weight class last year. They won against all other Lexingon 6A schools and went to the third round of the playoffs. Scott Country beat them by 4+ scores in both the regular season and playoffs, but FD returns some experienced players including Cameron Jones, a highly touted QB.

#9 Pleasure Ridge Park
PRP often doesn't get the credit they deserve because their tough district. Last year PRP beat Bowling Green, Manual, and Butler. They also played close to Male and St. X. However, from what I've heard they lost some key players and aren't expected to do as well this year.

#10 Central Hardin
The best of the west in 6A last year was Central Hardin. I'm told they return several key players, and should have another good year. I expect them to rule the western districts again this year, but they could have an early exit against the stacked 3rd district thanks to cross bracketing.

All the preceding is my opinion and I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks. Agree, disagree? Any important points that I left out for a team?
Ballard?!?! They have size/talent....lots of Power 5, D1 offers.

Trinity is not #1 IMO, they will miss Moore/Bohn BIG TIME.
FoSho Wrote:Ballard?!?! They have size/talent....lots of Power 5, D1 offers.

Trinity is not #1 IMO, they will miss Moore/Bohn BIG TIME.

I considered Ballard for the 10 spot, but I couldn't put them above Central Hardin after losing to them 21-0 last year and returning similar numbers.

They do return 16 starters and have some D1 talent, but I'm not convinced that they can pull together enough to make the top ten. Hopefully they prove me wrong as I still think they are a good team, definitely within the top 15.

I agree that losing the combo of Moore and Bohn will hurt Trinity, but if what I hear about the defense is true they may pull it off anyway.

Who would you put at #1 and where would you rank Trinity?
I think we ( Ryle ) are too high. I think we need to earn it and I need to see the teams heart under adversity. The scrimmage against Trinity will go along way to telling me what I need to know. Also we open with Cov Cath who last year rolled through a 15-0 campaign enroute to a state 5a title. Great measuring sticks. Two back to back class champions. I'll feel comfortable at 5 if we perform well in both games and claw back with heart if we are down early on the scoreboard.
CarzyRock Wrote:I considered Ballard for the 10 spot, but I couldn't put them above Central Hardin after losing to them 21-0 last year and returning similar numbers.

They do return 16 starters and have some D1 talent, but I'm not convinced that they can pull together enough to make the top ten. Hopefully they prove me wrong as I still think they are a good team, definitely within the top 15.

I agree that losing the combo of Moore and Bohn will hurt Trinity, but if what I hear about the defense is true they may pull it off anyway.

Who would you put at #1 and where would you rank Trinity?

Having T at #1 isn't a bad deal, you know more about them than I do. I just know the QB position will take a step back and the best WR is no Rondale Moore.

I'd probably put St X in front of them because of their QB and question marks on T. I'm saying that, those two are well above anyone else in 6A.

Ballard should be ranked IMO.
T is #1 until proven otherwise. X will have a nice team but they have been T's whipping boy for 15 plus years.
Find out how good X and SK are Friday night.
UK1fan Wrote:Find out how good X and SK are Friday night.

That will give us a hint but it won't be definite. I recall as year or two ago when SK won the scrimmage but both teams performed as usual in the regular season.
Ballard and Oldham County "practiced" together last night as one parent was informed. The Colonels were effective running the ball. Ballard's o-line and d-line are suspect.

As for the rankings, I agree with CarzyRock. Central Hardin whipped Ballard much to my surprise in the playoffs last season. The Bruins need to learn how to play a complete game and win. Until St X beats Trinity , the Rocks deserve to be number 1. Coach Wallace is 0-4 versus the Rocks and I feel confident his talent level at Bowling Green was top notch.