Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Burns Down Richmond Pub
Around 6:30 AM this morning, the Paddy Wagon bar/pub caught fire. It's been so severely burnt that Main Street has been closed down in fear that the front and back walls may collapse. The surrounding buildings on each side have also been badly damaged.

The Paddy Wagon was one of Richmond's most popular pubs and was a venue for the upcoming Jazz Crawl, sponsored by the EKU MIO(Music Industry Organization).

The Paddy Wagon was owned by two EKU professors who started the business as a hobby.

Here are some of the pictures from this morning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He CE what was this close to as far as the other bars around. My favorite use to be called T-Bombs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Thanks for the pics. That guy in your last one seems to be taking it especially hard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
yes the paddy wagon is directly across the street from t-bombs and the buddy belly, and on the same side of the street as the whisky. It may sound stupid to some but eku is devestated over this. It was a classy place where TONS of college students gathered every night to enjoy themselves.
My history professor and a couple students in my class was talking about this today during class, I had no idea anything had happened...
My teacher owns the Paddy Wagon. It was a great place to go... especially Tuesdays because everybody was there
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Has this place always been called by this name?
Since I was at Eastern in the '70s there have been several clubs known by different names. For instance, The Stake Out is now called The Family Dog. The Bull's Horn is now known as Mavericks.
Part of main street is still blocked off and there are fire trucks and people still there...well as of 11 PM.
[B]Go Lady Vols! [/B]
I hadn't heard that it burnt until now but had heard of the bar itself. Never got the chance to visit it. It really sucks that it happened but maybe the space can be cleared out and insurance money will help build it back?

There's a bunch of facebook groups that have been created in memory of the Paddy Wagon, one I noticed was wanting to raise money to help build it back.
Why would there even be anyone there at 6:30?
No one said that an arsonist did it. Electrical malfunctions don't care what time it is.

I hope Chuck and Greg build it back... I think it was the nicest bar in Richmond

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Investigators say they plan to know Friday just what caused a major fire in downtown Richmond on Thursday.

Police say the Paddy Wagon Irish Pub and an upstairs apartment were destroyed in that fire.

People inside the apartment say they fled after being awakened by a smoke alarm. There were no injuries reported.

Damage was also reported at a a neighboring saloon called "Whiskey."

The fire and intense smoke closed down Main Street in Richmond all day Thursday and overnight. Firefighters were concerned the building may collapse.

As of Friday Main Street has been re-opened after being shut down for nearly 24 hours.

Officials say traffic leading into downtown Richmond is now operating as usual.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/6988667.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Investigators have said that they have ruled out arson and that it was most likely an electrical fire near the kitchen.

Here are some pics of the Paddy Wagon after the smoke cleared.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Investigators have said that they have ruled out arson and that it was most likely an electrical fire near the kitchen.

I'm so smart. Smile