Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell vs. Lee
I think the Bobcats traveled to Stanton today...they may still be playing, anyone have any updates on this game??
lee won 1-0 in 11 innings, great defense on both parts, when it came down to it. powell walked the winning run.
I saw this game and they should of been out of the inning before that because the winning run was un earned...but powell didnt hit good at all, they may of had 5 hits... if that, i think they were benningfield, brewer, reed, and dotson...need to hit better if gonna compete for regionall title....good win for lee co!!!
This was the lomgest game! Powell focused more on hitting the fence rather than RBI's. I know it is nice but come on guys. 3 homeruns was hit over Monday night and most was trying to repeat that. Some stupid errors was made (like 2 on one base) and Coach kept the SAME boys in after no one was scoring! Why pet the same 10 boys? Aaron Branham is stroking the ball this year...why wasn't he ever put in to hit off that pitcher? Mastin could have hit off him as well I guess Coach only focuses on certain ones? Not to underestimate Varney...he knows how to bring home the hardware and all. Maybe he should have actually played some of his JV. Looks like JV will be over looked again this year...just as last year. Where was Rison? Spangler missed Monday nights game but was still played on Tuesday?Hmm...must had a "get out of jail free card". Varney is awfully laid back on the varsity this year. Hopefully it was just a down night for Powell.
Good pitching from Field and Pelfrey was on his toes as well
Maybe next time Powell can come out on top. Good luck boys.
#1piratefan Wrote:This was the lomgest game! Powell focused more on hitting the fence rather than RBI's. I know it is nice but come on guys. 3 homeruns was hit over Monday night and most was trying to repeat that. Some stupid errors was made (like 2 on one base) and Coach kept the SAME boys in after no one was scoring! Why pet the same 10 boys? Aaron Branham is stroking the ball this year...why wasn't he ever put in to hit off that pitcher? Mastin could have hit off him as well I guess Coach only focuses on certain ones? Not to underestimate Varney...he knows how to bring home the hardware and all. Maybe he should have actually played some of his JV. Looks like JV will be over looked again this year...just as last year. Where was Rison? Spangler missed Monday nights game but was still played on Tuesday?Hmm...must had a "get out of jail free card". Varney is awfully laid back on the varsity this year. Hopefully it was just a down night for Powell.
Good pitching from Field and Pelfrey was on his toes as well
Maybe next time Powell can come out on top. Good luck boys.

Don't you worry what Coach Varney does. He is the coach and he knows what he is doing. There are starters in the game for a reason. Spangler didn't play, so get your facts right. What makes you think that the guys on the bench could have done anything better? What have they done? Varney isn't laid a=back this year. I don't know who you are, but Powell County Baseball doesn't need you on here bad mouthing the coach and the team after a tough lose. Go some place else a run your mouth. Lee County played on the fence last night. Matt Reed and Devon Pelfrey both hit balls that would have been doubles last night,but Lee County was right there. Seth Profitt hit a ball up the middle, but Drake made a great catch. Josh Drake was great last night. Congrats to Lee County. To all you haters from last nights game....Powell County don't need fans like you, so keep your whining to yourself.
Lee county played a terrific game, I agree. My bad about Spangler too, I seen him there and thought he was in the line up . I was busy talking with Monroe at the time I spotted him. As far as me worrying about Varney...he is the Coach of the pirates ( does a fine job) but if it wasn't for the community,kids, parents, and the program he would not be in a Coaching position. Not in Powell County or any place else. It is the kids, schools and the programs that ( and more) that make the need available for a Coach. All Coaching staff dedicate many hours to develop what they have ,where they are. The players as well put forth a lot of time. Not just 10 players or so, but all do. As far as what could another player (such as Mastin) do? He is more use to a slower pitching as what was seen last night and MAY have been able to do something different. You see younger players being played all the time. Just because they are not Juniors or Seniors doesn't mean they can't do as well or sometimes even better. Yes, The ball was hit well and it was caught well ...on the fence as you said. Powell needed a base hit though not one on the fence or trying for over.
As far as whining and haters ? This happens to be a free site that is open to ALL opinions this is JMO. As a coach you should be use to opinions. Whining? Whose whining...I have not a kid that plays for Powell any longer. Therefore, I have nothing to whine about. I support Powell County, the players, school and Varney. This is my choice. Just as it is my choice to state my opinion. It is your choice to read it. No one is making you. I am sorry if you feel affended. I felt sorry last night after a tough loss as well for the Pirates. After all...those are the ones I support.
#1piratefan Wrote:Lee county played a terrific game, I agree. My bad about Spangler too, I seen him there and thought he was in the line up . I was busy talking with Monroe at the time I spotted him. As far as me worrying about Varney...he is the Coach of the pirates ( does a fine job) but if it wasn't for the community,kids, parents, and the program he would not be in a Coaching position. Not in Powell County or any place else. It is the kids, schools and the programs that ( and more) that make the need available for a Coach. All Coaching staff dedicate many hours to develop what they have ,where they are. The players as well put forth a lot of time. Not just 10 players or so, but all do. As far as what could another player (such as Mastin) do? He is more use to a slower pitching as what was seen last night and MAY have been able to do something different. You see younger players being played all the time. Just because they are not Juniors or Seniors doesn't mean they can't do as well or sometimes even better. Yes, The ball was hit well and it was caught well ...on the fence as you said. Powell needed a base hit though not one on the fence or trying for over.
As far as whining and haters ? This happens to be a free site that is open to ALL opinions this is JMO. As a coach you should be use to opinions. Whining? Whose whining...I have not a kid that plays for Powell any longer. Therefore, I have nothing to whine about. I support Powell County, the players, school and Varney. This is my choice. Just as it is my choice to state my opinion. It is your choice to read it. No one is making you. I am sorry if you feel affended. I felt sorry last night after a tough loss as well for the Pirates. After all...those are the ones I support.
Thanks for your support, but I am not a coach. I just think that any problems that you or anyone has with the team or the players, the issues should be brought up with the coach not on a free web site. If you were a true fan of Powell County, you would post things like this and should put the team and the starters under the bus after one loss. The team will be OK and Coach Varney will handle any problems.
2 losses and I have no problem w/ Varney or anyone else. I stated my opinion. Just as you have in your postings...like everyone else. Nothin' personal.
Never did I put a player "under the bus" . I am in a supportive athletic position...no time for that.