Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to get recruited. High School, Summer travel, Websites or Showcase
With a high school baseball player, What is the best way to get your child recruited and to be seen?

High School, Travel ball(not Daddy travel ball), Showcase or websites such as Next Level, PBR, NCSA and such?

All chime in with what you think and it could be a combo.:1:
The least important is travel ball.

IMO the most important is showcase when younger (no sooner than 8th grade). This gets the name out there.

Then let high school play speak for itself. This leads to being on a top tier travel team.

But at that point, you're name is out there. Production must warrant getting recruited.
you have to be seen. so, in my opinion... depends where you are in what part of the state and what system? meaning, if you are in an urban area, sekysports is somewhat correct, but if you are in a rural part of the state, then you will need to be involved w/ travel and showcases both. you have to market yourself as much as possible. I've had college coaches say, they can only come in the summer and watch cause their seasons are going on when your school ball seasons are going therefore, summer/ travel ball is key. but... I've also been told summer/ travel ball is also getting bad cause kids aren't playing to their full potential and only being seen at various times as summer/ travel is all about $$ and everyone needs to play! summer/ travel teams are key and you have to play in good tournaments where a lot of scouts are going to come. they come to large tournaments so they can watch a number of talent instead of only 1 or 2. however, to get on that radar is the key.... so, showcases are good! but choose the right showcase! go to these perfect game and pbr showcases when they are young (early to mid teens). if they do well... then they get on the radar of schools and then go to that specific school's showcase so they can get you on campus. your school team is good if you have a coach that is respected and in a good system. the coach will help, and the system will draw some colleges to you but if you play on a questionable team/ system and not well thought of, that can also hurt somewhat. good luck, it isn't easy and will frustrate you at times, but the key is where you are located and how much money you want to spend and time you want to allocate. take in to consideration how much scholarship money colleges are offering a player also. remember, your stud pitcher, middle infielder, and possibly stud hitter will get the most money, but your pitching staff usually gets a lot of money and the rest get the left overs. concentrate on academic scholarships and if your lucky to get some money for ball take it
Try and go to D1 summer camps at UK, UL, UT etc. these are not overly expensive and provide exposure(especially for marginal D1 players that might be from rural areas etc). Also lets these same players see what legit D1 players look like and the skills and talelents that it takes to be at that level. Players should let these coaches know as early in the camp as possible that they are interested in their school. LOTS of D1 guys are walk-ons and really dont cost a school money. By communicating a desire to be a part of certain Univ team those coaches can evaluate and at least tell a kid honestly if they hsve a chance. If kid doesnt mind to be a walk on then MAKE SURE those coaches know this. LOTS of walk ons get scholly money later and a few actually become starters and regular players. Dont be shy...talk to the staffs and let them put a name on your face for the week. Also when the MLB teams hold open tryouts go to ALL of them. There are always local college coaches there evaluating players as they know that very few if any are pro ready. In other words tell em your name age school and interest. Then give them something special like butt busting hustle and energy. Start at about Freshmen yr of High school if possoble. Thats my advice... One other thing , let em know too thst you sre willing to go JUCO ROUTE if they think you need that. ALL D1 schools have direct connections to some of the best JUCOs in the US and like to stash their. "possible recruits" at them. Gotta sell yourself with confidence attitude and hustle unless you are just that rare stud.
Quickest way to be noticed?

If you are a pitcher, throw 90MPH. If you are a position player, run a sub 6.8 60 yard dash.

If you cant do either of those you are just one of the multitude that they will shake out of a can and you become the "beauty in the eye of the beholder"..
Bob Seger Wrote:Quickest way to be noticed?

If you are a pitcher, throw 90MPH. If you are a position player, run a sub 6.8 60 yard dash.

If you cant do either of those you are just one of the multitude that they will shake out of a can and you become the "beauty in the eye of the beholder"..
that is about the best summary as I have ever heard!
Bob Seger Wrote:Quickest way to be noticed?

Can't argue with this.

Word travels fast and good coaches send their kids' film to colleges.
Scouts show up to watch the best kids.
60 time, exit velo, blah blah blah. All overrated.
Here's best thing anyone could tell a young pitcher.

Right handed and throw low-mid 80's- NAIA
Left handed and throw low-mid 80's JUCO/Low level D1

Right handed and throw high 80's- Solid JUCO/low level D1
Left handed and throw high 80's mid level D1

Right handed and throw low 90's-mid-high level D1
Left handed and throw low 90's-High level D1/drafted
Explorer Wrote:Here's best thing anyone could tell a young pitcher.

Right handed and throw low-mid 80's- NAIA
Left handed and throw low-mid 80's JUCO/Low level D1

Right handed and throw high 80's- Solid JUCO/low level D1
Left handed and throw high 80's mid level D1

Right handed and throw low 90's-mid-high level D1
Left handed and throw low 90's-High level D1/drafted

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read.
Breds fan Wrote:This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Oh, please enlighten me with your hot take. :flame:
Breds fan Wrote:This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Your son was a middle infielder (and a very good one at that), so you didn't have to go through what a pitcher goes through to be recruited...What was stated is not only correct, but it is 100% spot on....I went through it 3 times, so I know exactly how it works....All the way from the high D1 level to the JUCO level of recruitment between the 3 of mine. However there are many NAIA RH pitchers that hit 90+ consistently in the very good NAIA programs...Know that one for a fact...But what he stated is
pretty much the rule of thumb. ...In many cases as well, the good DII and JUCO programs can be exceptions that rival some very good DI programs.

And one thing that wasn't mentioned, is the fact that nobody at the high D1 level wants RH pitchers that are shorter than 6'0" tall....Exceptions, yes...But they are certainly not plentiful.
Explorer Wrote:60 time, exit velo, blah blah blah. All overrated.

Maybe so, but it is, what it is, what it is.

If you have the ability to run or to throw, the train of thought is "we can teach the rest".
Bob Seger Wrote:Your son was a middle infielder (and a very good one at that), so you didn't have to go through what a pitcher goes through to be recruited...What was stated is not only correct, but it is 100% spot on....I went through it 3 times, so I know exactly how it works....All the way from the high D1 level to the JUCO level of recruitment between the 3 of mine. However there are many NAIA RH pitchers that hit 90+ consistently in the very good NAIA programs...Know that one for a fact...But what he stated is
pretty much the rule of thumb. ...In many cases as well, the good DII and JUCO programs can be exceptions that rival some very good DI programs.

And one thing that wasn't mentioned, is the fact that nobody at the high D1 level wants RH pitchers that are shorter than 6'0" tall....Exceptions, yes...But they are certainly not plentiful.
Glad someone else understands.
At one point going to St. Cath was better than Morehead. Some high level NAIA would smack D1 schools.
Bob Seger Wrote:Your son was a middle infielder (and a very good one at that), so you didn't have to go through what a pitcher goes through to be recruited...What was stated is not only correct, but it is 100% spot on....I went through it 3 times, so I know exactly how it works....All the way from the high D1 level to the JUCO level of recruitment between the 3 of mine. However there are many NAIA RH pitchers that hit 90+ consistently in the very good NAIA programs...Know that one for a fact...But what he stated is

I'm not sure who you think this is because I don't have a son. I would love for you all to go to any NAIA Mid South Conference or Appalachian Athletic Conference games and you tell me how many of those guys are chucking 82.
Breds, Question....how fast do you think those NAIA folks are chucking it?
Breds fan Wrote:[B](A)I'm not sure who you think this is because (B)I don't have a son.[/B] I would love for you all to go to any NAIA Mid South Conference or Appalachian Athletic Conference games and you tell me how many of those guys are chucking 82.

(A)Uh, oh I know...(B)And yes you do.

I know exactly who you are because we share a common bond at a certain university...:biggrin:

Your question at the end confirmed it, but it's not that I needed it because I already knew. And I know the answer to that question, but NAIA doesn't necessarily mean the Mid South or the Appalachian Athletic.

By the way, the KIAC is NAIA too.
Bob Seger Wrote:(A)Uh, oh I know...(B)And yes you do.

I know exactly who you are because we share a common bond at a certain university...:biggrin:

Your question at the end confirmed it, but it's not that I needed it because I already knew. And I know the answer to that question, but NAIA doesn't necessarily mean the Mid South or the Appalachian Athletic.

By the way, the KIAC is NAIA too.

BTW, tell your son, I'm glad to see they are having a great season this year in his new role..:Thumbs:
I'd guess it may be even more important for players in more rural areas like ours vs say more urban areas like Covington, Louisville and Lexington. Then it's not always easy for people to afford travel ball. Traveling to camps and showcases. It can run into a ton of money . It can be worth it absolutely and if my boy ever gets to that level I'd do it if at all possible but I know how much it can be
One thing you need to keep in mind, baseball scholarships are not like football scholarships you are not going to get a full ride playing baseball. Imo have your kid pick a few schools at each level he would like to play at then contact the recruiting cor. At those schools and make your self known to them. Unless you are wealthy I would start at schools where you will qualify for in state tuition
dawg fan Wrote:One thing you need to keep in mind, baseball scholarships are not like football scholarships you are not going to get a full ride playing baseball. Imo have your kid pick a few schools at each level he would like to play at then contact the recruiting cor. At those schools and make your self known to them. Unless you are wealthy I would start at schools where you will qualify for in state tuition

Exactly....Contrary to popular belief there is really no such thing as a true full baseball scholarship. There may be other things thrown in to build a free ride, but it wont be a full athletic baseball scholarship. NCAA schools only have 11.7 scholarships to divide among the whole team, which may total as many as 40 players...AND if you are a position player don't expect a big piece of that little pie because most of what is available will go to pitchers. I remember going on a recruiting visit with one of my sons to UK and was told by Coach Cohen that he had just signed Kentucky's reigning Mr. Baseball, Colin Cowgill, with the staggering amount of a $500 scholarship...And this is a guy who beat up the SEC and then went on to the big show..
Here is some more of my rambling thoughts. Sounds like a good mix of reviews and ideas. If the kid has the tools then most good coaches will think they can fix them. So, in order to get their tools seen such as 60, Exit velocity, mound Velo, Infield/Outfield Velo, quick hands, soft fielding hands and so on, Showcase and big tournament summer travel appears to be the best bet. For the most part not many Coaches come to 13th and 14th Region games outside of our local Universities which is great, but there is also many more options for some of these kids if they can be seen. If a kid is throwing 83 his Sophomore year but not hitting his spots a next level Coach might would look at his upside and say we will get his command down and if velocity will go up from 83 his Sophomore year to maybe 87 his senior year and if he is still not throwing strikes, the next level Coach says i'll get him 5 more mph and I will get his command down too. Same with hitting kinda, if a guy has quick/fast hands with good exit velocity, but is not hitting the ball solid, a good Coach will feel they can fix the player. Will a Next Level Coach take a gamble on any of these situations?
To be honest if you are a Division 1 Baseball Player coaches will find time to come and see you play. Other than that, you have to be proactive in your approach. If you Top out at 82 MPh then you are going to have to do most of it yourself, but there is a place for everybody. You could be the third string catcher on your high school team and Johnson University will take you if your grades are good. I’ve seen that happen a lot actually.