Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2018will
birdman44 Wrote:[quote=The Truth Sayer]

23 state championships don't just happen. That is why people hate Highlands.

Call me crazy but I’m pretty sure that’s not why most people dislike highlands.
mantax Wrote:Now that right there is really really funny. Are you kidding me? We are talking about Highlands football, not Grant County football. I want some of what you are drinking, smoking and/or snorting.

You call yourself and act like your a big Highlands fan but you forget this?

First half of the season
2017 2-4
2016 1-7
2015 1-5
mantax Wrote:I will gladly take that bet any day any time. Only thing is, I do not think you would ever pay up after you lose.

Past 3 seasons have not been good. You have said Highlands will beat SK the past 3 years how did that work out? Your living on fantasy island.
Highlands scrimmages Ballard. Birds will need to come out of that healthy.
Cooper will be terrible again. Highlands will not beat Campbell Co. I still say 5 and 5. UNLESS they play some kids both ways.
bo67 Wrote:Cooper will be terrible again. Highlands will not beat Campbell Co. I still say 5 and 5. UNLESS they play some kids both ways.

Cooper was really young last year.
But does Cooper improve greatly after only wining 1 or 2 games last year. Not to change the subject. Campbell Co might beat SK and Ryle this year.
UK1fan Wrote:Past 3 seasons have not been good. You have said Highlands will beat SK the past 3 years how did that work out? Your living on fantasy island.

Where exactly did I say that? Another one of your fairy tale stories that you like to tell. Show me those exact quotes where I made those statements. Oh yeah, you cannot find them because they were not made.
UK1fan Wrote:You call yourself and act like your a big Highlands fan but you forget this?

First half of the season
2017 2-4
2016 1-7
2015 1-5

And you obviously forget this? 23-0 Yes that is correct 23-0. And exactly how many games did SK win prior to the last 3 years? Oh yeah, 1. So good thing for you is that you can still count the number of wins that SK has over Highlands on one hand. That means you have one more hand to go to help with the count.
UK1fan Wrote:You call yourself and act like your a big Highlands fan but you forget this?

First half of the season
2017 2-4
2016 1-7
2015 1-5

Don't call myself or act like anything. I know what I am and that is not a front runner. Seems like you talk a lot of trash when SK wins no matter the sport, but when they lose, quiet as a mouse. Enjoy the season as I am sure it will result in another disappointing loss early in the playoffs.
mantax Wrote:Where exactly did I say that? Another one of your fairy tale stories that you like to tell. Show me those exact quotes where I made those statements. Oh yeah, you cannot find them because they were not made.

Haha!
mantax Wrote:Don't call myself or act like anything. I know what I am and that is not a front runner. Seems like you talk a lot of trash when SK wins no matter the sport, but when they lose, quiet as a mouse. Enjoy the season as I am sure it will result in another disappointing loss early in the playoffs.

:thatsfunn
Looking at Highlands players. They more returning experience I believe in the last 3 years. With some pretty good players. Season will be determined if they are used and positioned correctly by the coaching staff.
bo67 Wrote:Will they be better. If so. How much better? Enough to win state.

Sounds quite likely. They have been improving throughout the season and they have great players too for now atleast. We'll see what happens.
Watched and found an old video of Dave Mueller in an post game interview after Ryle was the first Team in NKY to beat him in like 77 NKY games or something like that. He was gracious and complimented Ryle on how hard they have been working on getting better and he said WELL, THEY SCHEDULE US. Sounds like a lot of teams were dodging HHS for a while. Just thought he handled the interview after that loss very graciously. He mentioned at HHS our season goes that we win state or we don't. That's the goal and our kids work so hard for that. Liked the mentality.
Fear the Nation Wrote:Watched and found an old video of Dave Mueller in an post game interview after Ryle was the first Team in NKY to beat him in like 77 NKY games or something like that. He was gracious and complimented Ryle on how hard they have been working on getting better and he said WELL, THEY SCHEDULE US. Sounds like a lot of teams were dodging HHS for a while. Just thought he handled the interview after that loss very graciously. He mentioned at HHS our season goes that we win state or we don't. That's the goal and our kids work so hard for that. Liked the mentality.

The thing is that "mentality" was there long before Dale and should still be the same today though I am not so sure about that. Some coaching staff changes have been made and the hope is that they have removed some of the dead wood. It is a make or break year for Coach Weinrich and it is not focused on the number of wins and losses.
mantax Wrote:The thing is that "mentality" was there long before Dale and should still be the same today though I am not so sure about that. Some coaching staff changes have been made and the hope is that they have removed some of the dead wood. It is a make or break year for Coach Weinrich and it is not focused on the number of wins and losses.

I assume your talking about his ability to reach the kids, get them to buy in, and the ability to motivate them.
Championships don't happen by accident. If you don't practice, play and believe you are one it won't happen.
Fear the Nation Wrote:I assume your talking about his ability to reach the kids, get them to buy in, and the ability to motivate them.

That is 100% correct and your next post is exactly what I am talking about. Dale was not a great X's and O's guy, but he got many a kid to want and/or do things that many thought were not possible.
mantax Wrote:That is 100% correct and your next post is exactly what I am talking about. Dale was not a great X's and O's guy, but he got many a kid to want and/or do things that many thought were not possible.

I totally get the mentality. Questions is do you think realistically that even with that mindset can the kids you have get it done this year? I don't expect you to win out against all the 6a's on your schedule like you used too. The landscape has shifted somewhat, but when you get to your district and playoffs what is realistic this year? I do think you will be improved, but how much?
Birds
I agree Dale was not a great X and 0 guy. But he had exceptional coaching ways. He used how I was coached. And to buy in and try harder. Making us believe we were better than we really were. Weinrich does not have that within him
When I was told Weinrich would the next coach. I laughed. Dale said he’s just like me. I said he’s NOTHING like you. And thus the last 3 years. Talent down some. Maybe. But not 19 loses in 3 years down. You have to cosch and use your players wisely. And he hasn’t done either
bo67 Wrote:When I was told Weinrich would the next coach. I laughed. Dale said he’s just like me. I said he’s NOTHING like you. And thus the last 3 years. Talent down some. Maybe. But not 19 loses in 3 years down. You have to cosch and use your players wisely. And he hasn’t done either

So what about this year?
I don’t have a clue. I wish I did
Fear the Nation Wrote:I totally get the mentality. Questions is do you think realistically that even with that mindset can the kids you have get it done this year? I don't expect you to win out against all the 6a's on your schedule like you used too. The landscape has shifted somewhat, but when you get to your district and playoffs what is realistic this year? I do think you will be improved, but how much?

Not buying the whole "landscape shifting" thing. To me, the biggest problem has been complacency from the head coach on down. Not willing to put in the time to prepare the team and/or to get a good read on what kids can and cannot play at the varsity level. I think you will see some changes this year in the approach to the 2-platoon thought. If no change to that philosophy it will be more of the same old same old.
mantax Wrote:Not buying the whole "landscape shifting" thing. To me, the biggest problem has been complacency from the head coach on down. Not willing to put in the time to prepare the team and/or to get a good read on what kids can and cannot play at the varsity level. I think you will see some changes this year in the approach to the 2-platoon thought. If no change to that philosophy it will be more of the same old same old.
So I guess civil discussion is out. So none of the team have picked it up and should all still be doormats to HHS. That comes off as quite arrogant. Just be aware that athletes are plentiful in NKY and most of them don't wear a Bluebird jersey. This is the reason when HHS gets beat or a running clock gets put on them that there is a little extra smile of your opponets faces. I'm sure the coaching can be tweaked but it's still ABOUT the johnnys and joes. I'm sure hoping that HHS picks it up as to actually be a game to help us get better this year. The landscape has shifted comment was a little off. It has literaly moved. I'm not buying that the rest of NKY can't play football anymore.
Fear the Nation Wrote:So I guess civil discussion is out. So none of the team have picked it up and should all still be doormats to HHS. That comes off as quite arrogant. Just be aware that athletes are plentiful in NKY and most of them don't wear a Bluebird jersey. This is the reason when HHS gets beat or a running clock gets put on them that there is a little extra smile of your opponets faces. I'm sure the coaching can be tweaked but it's still ABOUT the johnnys and joes. I'm sure hoping that HHS picks it up as to actually be a game to help us get better this year. The landscape has shifted comment was a little off. It has literaly moved. I'm not buying that the rest of NKY can't play football anymore.

As usual, about what I expected. Try to give an honest answer in a "civil" discussion and all you wanted to do was beat your chest. Nowhere did I say anything about "doormat" as you suggested. I am saying that the "change in the landscape" is not an excuse. Nowhere did I say that they should be 15-0 every year. The mentality of the program shifted 180 degrees when Weinrich took over and I think that was pretty evident by all of the uproar after last season. And your comment about being competitive in a game for Ryle, come on man. The only "blowout" was the year the coaching staff felt it best to play a starting running back at center because they were too lazy to come up with a better plan. May be the worst game ever played in Highlands history. I am done here as I know it was hard for you to try and have a discussion about another team without eventually blowing up to toot your own horn.
mantax Wrote:As usual, about what I expected. Try to give an honest answer in a "civil" discussion and all you wanted to do was beat your chest. Nowhere did I say anything about "doormat" as you suggested. I am saying that the "change in the landscape" is not an excuse. Nowhere did I say that they should be 15-0 every year. The mentality of the program shifted 180 degrees when Weinrich took over and I think that was pretty evident by all of the uproar after last season. And your comment about being competitive in a game for Ryle, come on man. The only "blowout" was the year the coaching staff felt it best to play a starting running back at center because they were too lazy to come up with a better plan. May be the worst game ever played in Highlands history. I am done here as I know it was hard for you to try and have a discussion about another team without eventually blowing up to toot your own horn.

I didn't get on here to toot our own horn I actually was curious and wanted to have a discussion. Maybe I'm reading a little more into the comment that I not buying the landscape has shifted. To me that seems like a slap it every other program who for years have been busting their butts and are finally catching their stride with classes of athletes and coaching and scheme that are now able to compete. And I get that there was once a time in the Glory Days that nobody around here was able to do that. That's just not the case anymore. To say that we're only losing because our coach just isn't getting the kids motivated enough his part of it but you're just discounting the fact that these other schools are playing some pretty damn good football and can beat HHS On Any Given Friday. Not saying that a lot of these schools are going to Own Highlands. That era of dominance over Northern Kentucky has come to an end. The landscape has shifted and not giving credit where credit is due is not cool. That's where that little arrogant stuff comes in the play yeah you expect to win. But when you don't it's not always, you beat yourself. You're playing against some pretty good high-caliber competition right now. I respect every kid that puts on the uniform practices day-in-day-out grinds and goes to war on Friday cuz I've been there and done it for a lot of years. I know what it takes to win and I've been on my fair share of losses. But what I've never seen is just because you have on a jersey or living a certain neighborhood that you automatically are better. The Jersey don't make the team, the work ethic the kids do and yeah the coaches have something to do with that too. But if you're not getting it done on your side and these other teams are busting their humps and now you find yourself on the short side of the stick you give credit to the teams that are getting it done. Just like when you were on the Mountaintop and everybody had to look at Highlands. It's hypocritical of you to Discount the fact that none of these other teams are worthy of praise. Like I said maybe I'm reading too much into the I'm not buying the landscape shifted comment but everybody else that lives outside of Highlands has noticed the landscaper shifted a little bit, football power is not confined to one little area. I'm sure Highlands is going to go through some periods where they start winning games and I don't expect some of these 6A schools to come to Highlands and win every single time but I don't think with the parody and today's athletes and the work these other progtams are putting in that you're going to ever have streaks like you did in the Glory Days, it's not because Highland isn't as good as they once were, quit being cynical and give the credit these other teams have gotten better. You're not better than another team until you win the game this year not last year not 10 years ago not 20 years nothing matters except this year. Everybody wants to win and every team expects to win but somehow you guys always seem to get a little extra in there can't quite put my finger on it. It kind of irks people a little bit. If there's one thing I seen about Dale is that he was humble in winning and gracious in defeat. Somehow that's gotten lost in the success that Highlands has had. Thin line between confidence, pride, disrespect and arrogance. It may not be intentional but even in losing you guys sometimes are disrespectful to your opponents. We lose every game because we got beat. Seems like you guys lose because of the plethora of excuses it's never that the other team was better. Hope you guys have a great season, peace my friend.
I think we now know why soooooo many people dislike highlands....it’s definitley not their state championships. People don’t have near the ill will towards trinity. Just saying.

100% other nky football programs have drastically improved. No way around that. Not to mention, highlands isn’t getting the out of district talent they once enjoyed. Times have changed. The birds will undoubtedly have success in the future but the historic run is over and likely never to be repeated.