Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best schools to Coach high school basketball in14th region? Top 5 and reasons?
Let’s hear them
basketball89 Wrote:Let’s hear them

1. Powell County- proximity to the Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park. Lot's of recreational things to do. Fairly easy access to Lexington via the Mountain Parkway.
Perry Central, Knott Central, Hazard. Administrative support. Talent. Tradition.
Just an outsider's perspective, and I could be completely off on some of these, but here goes:

#1. Hazard -

Pros:

Probably have the most talent year in and year out, despite being a small school. Boosters and community support would probably be second to none. Good chance for success in the All A Classic.

Cons:

Sharing a district with Perry County Central. High expectations. Small student population; may not be a "basketball" school, as football and to a lesser extent, baseball, will share spotlight (and many athletes). Facilities that will never host a regional tournament.

#2. Perry County Central -

Pros:

Large student population. Best facilities in the region-- capable of hosting regional tournament and other big events. Would imagine that they have a very good feeder program, with lots of schools having youth teams, etc. Community support seems to be there and funding doesn't appear to be a huge issue. Doesn't really share the spotlight with any other sports consistently unless I am mistaken, though the hiring of Larkey as football coach could change that.

Cons:

Sharing a district with Hazard. High expectations.

#3. Knott County Central -

Pros:

Facilities are second only to PCC; will get to host regionals. Definitely a "basketball school". Fairly large student population considering those around you. District is unknown with Letcher Central and the status of Cordia/June Buchanan considering the development of charter schools, but most years over the past two decades, you've been the heavy favorite to win it. Strong recent tradition.

Cons:

Could be a tough act to follow BB King if you are assessing this as someone who is coming in as a new coach. Because of your location, it will be taxing to get out and play the State's best year in and year out.

#4. Letcher Central -

Pros:

New school and an opportunity to make your own mark. Good sized student population. Facilities seem to be up there with most anyone else's, especially given their age.

Cons:

See drawbacks of Knott County Central (re: district play/charter schools & distance to play quality opponents). New school giving you the opportunity to make your own mark is a double-edged sword, as you also lack tradition.

#5. Breathitt County -

Pros:

Solid tradition in athletics. The school's reputation as a football school also means that you will likely have some athletes to pick from, and that you can probably count on your team being able to play a certain type of style (i.e., reliance on physicality and bulk) most seasons). Only competition in district year-in and year-out would be Wolfe County. Large gym capable of hosting region, though it is an older facility.

Cons:

Smallest student population on this list. Sharing the spotlight (and boosters/funding) with football could be tough. Might be pigeon-holed into playing a certain style most years given that your athletes also play football, which might not be appealing to a coach who wants to play a style that is less conductive to success given what they have to work with. Of the schools on the list, I'd imagine that they would have the least to work with in terms of funding, boosters, etc.

Honorable Mention:

Corida -
Given the possibility of being a charter school, having dorms, and the team's recent success, you could really build things up. Recent history says the community will support the team. At the moment, just too many question marks in terms of the big picture.

Powell County -
Access to State as a whole makes playing top-flight competition easier & you will host region as well.

Estill County -
Location and decent school size. Would be able to build team the way you wanted. Recent success wouldn't hurt either.

Owsley County -
Don't laugh... it is the only act in town, and they've had success in the past. Could be a great job for a young coach who wanted to build from the ground up and was willing to go as hard as possible year round, as no football means that you could basically practice as much as you wanted to and you wouldn't worry about sharing athletes, etc.

Left off Leslie County (always second to football and in a brutal district) as well as Buckhorn (small school, brutal district).

I could see Wolfe County being in the honorable mention category, but think that overall, there are just better jobs across the region.

June Buchanan is kind of in the same boat as Cordia insofar as charters go, but I think that overall, it's just going to be too tough to win there consistently.

The others that weren't mentioned just lack the combination of: student population, community support, facilities, and/or tradition.
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:Just an outsider's perspective, and I could be completely off on some of these, but here goes:

#1. Hazard -

Pros:

Probably have the most talent year in and year out, despite being a small school. Boosters and community support would probably be second to none. Good chance for success in the All A Classic.

Cons:

Sharing a district with Perry County Central. High expectations. Small student population; may not be a "basketball" school, as football and to a lesser extent, baseball, will share spotlight (and many athletes). Facilities that will never host a regional tournament.

Pros:

Large student population. Best facilities in the region-- capable of hosting regional tournament and other big events. Would imagine that they have a very good feeder program, with lots of schools having youth teams, etc. Community support seems to be there and funding doesn't appear to be a huge issue. Doesn't really share the spotlight with any other sports consistently unless I am mistaken, though the hiring of Larkey as football coach could change that.

Cons:

Pros:

Facilities are second only to PCC; will get to host regionals. Definitely a "basketball school". Fairly large student population considering those around you. District is unknown with Letcher Central and the status of Cordia/June Buchanan considering the development of charter schools, but most years over the past two decades, you've been the heavy favorite to win it. Strong recent tradition.

Cons:

Could be a tough act to follow BB King if you are assessing this as someone who is coming in as a new coach. Because of your location, it will be taxing to get out and play the State's best year in and year out.

#4. Letcher Central -

Pros:

New school and an opportunity to make your own mark. Good sized student population. Facilities seem to be up there with most anyone else's, especially given their age.

Cons:

See drawbacks of Knott County Central (re: district play/charter schools & distance to play quality opponents). New school giving you the opportunity to make your own mark is a double-edged sword, as you also lack tradition.

#5. Breathitt County -

Pros:

Solid tradition in athletics. The school's reputation as a football school also means that you will likely have some athletes to pick from, and that you can probably count on your team being able to play a certain type of style (i.e., reliance on physicality and bulk) most seasons). Only competition in district year-in and year-out would be Wolfe County. Large gym capable of hosting region, though it is an older facility.

Cons:

Smallest student population on this list. Sharing the spotlight (and boosters/funding) with football could be tough. Might be pigeon-holed into playing a certain style most years given that your athletes also play football, which might not be appealing to a coach who wants to play a style that is less conductive to success given what they have to work with. Of the schools on the list, I'd imagine that they would have the least to work with in terms of funding, boosters, etc.

Honorable Mention:

Corida -
Given the possibility of being a charter school, having dorms, and the team's recent success, you could really build things up. Recent history says the community will support the team. At the moment, just too many question marks in terms of the big picture.

Powell County -
Access to State as a whole makes playing top-flight competition easier & you will host region as well.

Estill County -
Location and decent school size. Would be able to build team the way you wanted. Recent success wouldn't hurt either.

Owsley County -
Don't laugh... it is the only act in town, and they've had success in the past. Could be a great job for a young coach who wanted to build from the ground up and was willing to go as hard as possible year round, as no football means that you could basically practice as much as you wanted to and you wouldn't worry about sharing athletes, etc.

Left off Leslie County (always second to football and in a brutal district) as well as Buckhorn (small school, brutal district).

I could see Wolfe County being in the honorable mention category, but think that overall, there are just better jobs across the region.

June Buchanan is kind of in the same boat as Cordia insofar as charters go, but I think that overall, it's just going to be too tough to win there consistently.

The others that weren't mentioned just lack the combination of: student population, community support, facilities, and/or tradition.

Cordia might one day be a private school but Never, Ever a charter school!!!
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:Just an outsider's perspective, and I could be completely off on some of these, but here goes:

#1. Hazard -

Pros:

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

#4. Letcher Central -

Pros:

Cons:

#5. Breathitt County -

Pros:

Cons:

Honorable Mention:

Corida -

Powell County -

Estill County -

Owsley County -

Good stuff. I would add to the cons for Perry and Hazard that their District draws lots instead of seeds so they have to play each other in the first round sometimes.
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:Cordia might one day be a private school but Never, Ever a charter school!!!

Not saying I'm disagreeing with you, but why not? Everyone seems to think that's the plan, even their supporters.
I don't think I've ever seen a public school change to private.
HCS Wrote:Not saying I'm disagreeing with you, but why not? Everyone seems to think that's the plan, even their supporters.

For what it's worth, the charter school bill in Kentucky was specifically crafted with Cordia in mind.
I'll just say Letcher because of the deer hunting!!!
HCS Wrote:Not saying I'm disagreeing with you, but why not? Everyone seems to think that's the plan, even their supporters.

Poor academics!

And you probably won't, but cordia is the only school in the state (if I'm not mistaken) that their facilities are not owned by a school district! They could easily go private and tell the Knott County Board of Education that they hate so bad to kiss their back side!!!
cordia cant go private. how would you pay the teachers and all other employees. ms. whitaker would have enough money to run a private school for a couple of years then what? there only option is charter and they cant do that unless the knott school board says that they can be a charter school so I don't see that happening
When is the last time the 14th region won a state title? Not sure there is a great place to coach in the 14th region. Maybe a couple of good places with support is all.
FOR REAL Outsidelookingi!!!!!! You'd think the 14th was a state power or something the way everyone acts.
1. Knott
2. Perry
3 Hazard
4. Breathitt
5 Powell