Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Tech 73 Texas 69 (Big 12 Tourney)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Keenan Evans piled up 18 of his team-leading 25 points during the second half, and the No. 14 Texas Tech men's basketball team led wire-to-wire en route to a 73-69 victory over Texas in Thursday's quarterfinal round at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championships.

The Red Raiders (24-8) clinched the program's first semifinals berth at the Big 12 Championships dating back to the 2005 season.

Texas Tech also ended a three-game losing streak to the Longhorns (19-14) and an overall five-game losing streak at the conference tournament. The Red Raiders advance to face either No. 19 West Virginia or Baylor. Friday's tipoff is set for approximately 8 p.m. CT televised by ESPN2 and the ESPN app.

"I'm just really proud and happy for our players," Texas Tech head coach Chris Beard said. "It was one year ago we sat at this table, and we said we were going to do everything we could in the next 364 days to put ourselves in a better position. We've done that. I think you've got to give our players all the credit, including these two guys to my right (Keenan Evans and Tommy Hamilton IV). Two of our five seniors that have really had a special season. We just don't want it to end. We want to keep playing. I want to keep coaching these guys. I want to coach them two more times in Kansas City and six times in the NCAA Tournament. We have a lot of respect for Texas. They're a tough team. They've overcome a lot of adversity this year with the injuries, and I have a lot of respect for Shaka. They're an NCAA tournament team in my book, and they're a great team with a great coach. We're pleased to win for a lot of reasons and our respect for Shaka and Texas is at the top of that list."

For Evans, he was 7-of-10 from the floor and rattled home 9-of-14 at the free throw line. The Red Raiders improved to 11-1 this season and have won 17 of 21 games when Evans goes for 20 or more points.

http://texastech.com/news/2018/3/8/mens-...as-69.aspx
Horns continue to lose.
Red Raiders too much.