Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All A Classic Champs and Their Failure In Regional Tournaments
To win the All A Classic state tournament you obviously have to have a good basketball team. One would think that if a team were capable of winning the All A Classic, they would have decent success at the regional tournament level, but that has not always been the case. When the boys All A Classic went to a 16 region tournament format in 1990, only 18.5% of All A Classic State Champions have went on to win their respective regional tournaments. Those teams include:
1992 Lexington Catholic (lost in the Sweet 16 Championship game to class A University Heights) 1995 Harlan (lost in the semifinals of the Sweet 16 to PRP), 2000 Newport Central Catholic (lost in the first round of the Sweet 16 to Male), 2005 University Heights (lost in the semifinals of the Sweet 16 to Warren Central), 2009 Shelby Valley (lost in the 2nd round of the Sweet 16 to Elliott County), and 2010 Shelby Valley (Sweet 16 Champion).
Only one team has won the All A Classic and the Sweet 16 in the same year, that obviously being the 2010 Shelby Valley team. Since 1990, besides Shelby Valley, only two other All A Classic eligible teams have won the Sweet 16. Those teams were the 1992 University Heights team (lost in the semifinals of the All A Classic to Lexington Catholic) and the 1996 Paintsville team (lost in the first round of the All A Classic to Harlan).
As you can see, being a smaller school makes it difficult to have success against larger schools in the regional tournament. I am against classification. That is why I like the All A Classic. It gives small schools a chance for success.
This is the reason the All-A Classic exists.

If the KHSAA ever decides to classify - I think it would kill the All-A
I hope the classify basketball and all other sports.
zaga_fan Wrote:This is the reason the All-A Classic exists.

Yes, there will be no need for it then.
This is a prime example as to why non contact sports need to classify. Class A schools are not playing the same game as the big county schools, much less the huge schools in Metro areas.
How many have won both and how many have won both State Championships?
NextGeneration Wrote:How many have won both and how many have won both State Championships?

One team has won both the All A Classic and the Sweet 16 in the same year and that was the 2010 Shelby Valley Wildcats.
Westside Wrote:To win the All A Classic state tournament you obviously have to have a good basketball team. One would think that if a team were capable of winning the All A Classic, they would have decent success at the regional tournament level, but that has not always been the case. When the boys All A Classic went to a 16 region tournament format in 1990, only 18.5% of All A Classic State Champions have went on to win their respective regional tournaments. Those teams include:
1992 Lexington Catholic (lost in the Sweet 16 Championship game to class A University Heights) 1995 Harlan (lost in the semifinals of the Sweet 16 to PRP), 2000 Newport Central Catholic (lost in the first round of the Sweet 16 to Male), 2005 University Heights (lost in the semifinals of the Sweet 16 to Warren Central), 2009 Shelby Valley (lost in the 2nd round of the Sweet 16 to Elliott County), and 2010 Shelby Valley (Sweet 16 Champion).
Only one team has won the All A Classic and the Sweet 16 in the same year, that obviously being the 2010 Shelby Valley team. Since 1990, besides Shelby Valley, only two other All A Classic eligible teams have won the Sweet 16. Those teams were the 1992 University Heights team (lost in the semifinals of the All A Classic to Lexington Catholic) and the 1996 Paintsville team (lost in the first round of the All A Classic to Harlan).
As you can see, being a smaller school makes it difficult to have success against larger schools in the regional tournament. I am against classification. That is why I like the All A Classic. It gives small schools a chance for success.

The 2006 Bardtown team also won the All A Classic and regional tournament. They lost in the 2 nd round of the Sweet 16. So that makes the percent 21% of All A Classic Champions have went on to win their region tournaments.
zaga_fan Wrote:This is the reason the All-A Classic exists.

no it wouldn't. the one right now, wont be around no more. but there wont be no sweet 16 state t-ment no more. it will be like it is in football. put all these teams into a 8 region format. not a 16 region format like we got right now, and a true state champ in basketball.
Westside Wrote:One team has won both the All A Classic and the Sweet 16 in the same year and that was the 2010 Shelby Valley Wildcats.
didn't the 1995 Paintsville win both. I remember they won the sweet 16, but I don't remember if they won the all a that year.
1992 University Heights and 1996 Paintsville if I am not mistaking.
AnswertheBell Wrote:1992 University Heights and 1996 Paintsville if I am not mistaking.

Paintsville has never won the All A classic. In 1996 they were defeated in the 1st round of the All A Classic by Harlan 71-60. In 1992 University Heights was defeated in the semifinals of the All A Classic by Lex Cath by the score of 64-56.
cj2561 Wrote:didn't the 1995 Paintsville win both. I remember they won the sweet 16, but I don't remember if they won the all a that year.

No, they were defeated in the 1st round of the All A Classic by Lex Cath by a score of 80-68. They also didn't win the Sweet 16 that year.
In 1995 Paintsville won both and there last lost was at Home to Perry Central the last regular season game of the year.
This year I think one of these teams will be in Sweet 16 as a Class A School
1. Mayfield
2. UHA
3. Owensboror Catholic
4. Knott County
5. Pikeville
I think one of these 5 schools will be in the sweet 16.
hoghead Wrote:In 1995 Paintsville won both and there last lost was at Home to Perry Central the last regular season game of the year.

You are wrong on both accounts. As I stated earlier Paintsville has never won the All A. Harlan won the All A in 95. Paintsville won the Sweet 16 in 96.

http://www.allaclassic.org/Boys%20Past%2...esults.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Si...ampionship)
Westside Wrote:You are wrong on both accounts. As I stated earlier Paintsville has never won the All A. Harlan won the All A in 95. Paintsville won the Sweet 16 in 96.

http://www.allaclassic.org/Boys%20Past%2...esults.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Si...ampionship)

As much as it pains me to say it, this would be correct. The following would be the finishes in both tournaments during my career.

Paintsville in the All “A”
1995 - lost in 1st round to Lexington Catholic
1996 - lost in 1st round to Harlan
1997 - lost in finals to Lexington Catholic
1998 - lost in Final Four to University Heights

Paintsville in the “Sweet 16”
1995 - lost in 1st round to Montgomery Co.
1996 - CHAMPIONS
1997 - lost in Final Four to Ft. Thomas Highlands
1998 - lost in finals to Scott County
I think some of that could be attributed to the depth of a small school, and the number of games that you play in a short period of time in a post season atmosphere. In the mountain regions you are looking at having to win 3-4 games to advance to the all a state. Good run in that all a state in the early years meant playing 4 games in only 3-4 days (semi-finals and finals were both played on Saturday).

Has any mountain schools ever won the WYMT, All A State, and their region in the same season?
rawlingsfan Wrote:I think some of that could be attributed to the depth of a small school, and the number of games that you play in a short period of time in a post season atmosphere. In the mountain regions you are looking at having to win 3-4 games to advance to the all a state. Good run in that all a state in the early years meant playing 4 games in only 3-4 days (semi-finals and finals were both played on Saturday).

Has any mountain schools ever won the WYMT, All A State, and their region in the same season?

That's a good question. I just looked it up and it appears once again Shelby Valley accomplished this in 2010.
Westside Wrote:No, they were defeated in the 1st round of the All A Classic by Lex Cath by a score of 80-68. They also didn't win the Sweet 16 that year.

what year was it that they wont the sweet 16. that is the year I am talking about.
how about the 1993 Harlan Green Dragons. the year that they won the Sweet 16 boy basketball state title.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:As much as it pains me to say it, this would be correct. The following would be the finishes in both tournaments during my career.

Paintsville in the All “A”
1995 - lost in 1st round to Lexington Catholic
1996 - lost in 1st round to Harlan
1997 - lost in finals to Lexington Catholic
1998 - lost in Final Four to University Heights

Paintsville in the “Sweet 16”
1995 - lost in 1st round to Montgomery Co.
1996 - CHAMPIONS
1997 - lost in Final Four to Ft. Thomas Highlands
1998 - lost in finals to Scott County

i would either have the Sweet 16 state title over the All A state title any day.
cj2561 Wrote:how about the 1993 Harlan Green Dragons. the year that they won the Sweet 16 boy basketball state title.

Harlan didn't win the Sweet 16 in 1993. Harlan won the state tournament in 1944, but that is their only title.
Westside Wrote:Harlan didn't win the Sweet 16 in 1993. Harlan won the state tournament in 1944, but that is their only title.

what title did they won, in 1993.
cj2561 Wrote:what title did they won, in 1993.

They won the All A in both 1994 and 1995.
Westside Wrote:They won the All A in both 1994 and 1995.

my FR was 96/97, so I might get the number wrong sometimes. i though that big pic of that team over there in the gym have 1993 on it. that was the only time i been to Harlan gym.