Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JBS-National Attention
3/21 USA Today paper is supposed to have an article about the June Buchanan School in it and so will the Lexington Herald, and Courier Journal.
Why, what have they done that's so special? Most number of related threads on Bluegrassrivals?
Can't wait to read it... Congrats to JBS for spinning the negative attention some give them into something positive.
Let's hope it's a positive story about a small school in the mountains that makes the big show.

Why can't some members get over their dislike for JBS?
Why can't we all get behind a team that will be representing the mountains??
I don't dislike JBS or anything but what warrants all of this attention? I'm just curious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Why can't some members get over their dislike for JBS?
Why can't we all get behind a team that will be representing the mountains??

I'm sure part of it is jealousy... But I think alot of people are against JBS because of the perception that the Stepps are using the school and it's players to further the name of Clark and Clint, rather than the school... Not saying that is my opionion, but it's clear that most of the negativity is towards the Stepps (primarily Gary and Clark), and not towards JBS...
The King Wrote:I'm sure part of it is jealousy... But I think alot of people are against JBS because of the perception that the Stepps are using the school and it's players to further the name of Clark and Clint, rather than the school... Not saying that is my opionion, but it's clear that most of the negativity is towards the Stepps (primarily Gary and Clark), and not towards JBS...

It's funny. Where were these same hecklers when the Stepps were resurrecting the ALC Men's Basketball program in the early 90's and making a name for themselves? These guys eat, sleep and breathe basketball. During my days at ALC, it was never uncommon to see one of the Stepps playing pickup games in the gym or the auxillary gym on a nightly basis. I commend them for their commitment to mountain basketball. These guys probably could've left years ago for better gigs and chose to stay at ALC and JBS.

I wonder if they tie the story of JBS and the basketball success with ALC and the national attention "Caney College" received in the 60's?
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myr...941091.htm

I have a feeling this is the story. It has been picked up by the Associated Press and will be published across the country. As you can see, this link comes from South Carolina and Hillbilly Beach.
It's a good article. However, if you're not familiar with JBS and most folks nationwide aren't, you get the impression that JBS is the "town's school" like the mining camp town schools of our past. Yes, JBS is Pippa Passes' town school, but we all know students who attend don't all hail from JBS and that should've been portrayed better in the article.

The story does go into the public/private debate, yet fairly shows how the JBS players for the most part have been in the school's system for years and that puts the argument to rest.

Go get'em Crusaders.
They have done nothing special.
I agree, I think the Stepps eat, drink, and live basketball. Nobody ever has doubted that. At this point I think its more of an ethical issue. Many feel that a college president hiring a brother to coach a team that has his two sons playing may have crossed a line. I think they are great individual people but the obsession with basketball has forced some inappropriate and questionable behavior. For example, the coaching staff only promoted and actively campaigned for the oldest Stepp for All-State this year. This becomes troublesome when thinking about future college plans for some of the boys. Its not a stretch to see 2 or 3 of the boys playing college ball. This means scholarship money. There has already been one example of a college inquiring into a player other than a Stepp, I would hope the coaching staff handled this appropriately and fairly. Parents tend to have a lack of trust when they see such examples. They feel their boys take a backseat to the promotion of the president's son. This is why there have been rumors of some of the better players leaving, in hopes of a possible scholarship or at least being promoted in a fair way. I really doubt we would see such a situation in a public school. I feel the Stepps are sincere and from all appearances, really good people. I feel their love of basketball has caused some ethically issues that will need to be addressed in the near future.
Benchwarmer Wrote:They have done nothing special.

Who did you play for in the state Tournament ?
Everyone knows how hard it is for the smaller schools to compete with the bigger schools. It never ceases to amaze me when a small school like Hazard, with 300 students, can defeat a school like Perry Central with almost a thousand students. I think the smaller schools have to work a lot harder just to keep up. That's why it is so amazing that a small school with only 72 students is going to state. This is JBS's first trip to the state tourney so that in itself is history in the making. Now whether you like the Stepps or not, whether you agree with them or disagree with them doesn't matter. JBS is representing the 14th region and they are going to Rupp. They have every right to be proud of their accomplishments. This is the first time in history that they have made it this far. I'm glad to see that they are celebrating and I'm glad to see the people of Knott Co. going all out for them. They earned it. All too soon it will be back to business as usual but for now I say let them celebrate. Good luck JBS. Win or lose make some noise at Rupp!!
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Everyone knows how hard it is for the smaller schools to compete with the bigger schools. It never ceases to amaze me when a small school like Hazard, with 300 students, can defeat a school like Perry Central with almost a thousand students. I think the smaller schools have to work a lot harder just to keep up. That's why it is so amazing that a small school with only 72 students is going to state. This is JBS's first trip to the state tourney so that in itself is history in the making. Now whether you like the Stepps or not, whether you agree with them or disagree with them doesn't matter. JBS is representing the 14th region and they are going to Rupp. They have every right to be proud of their accomplishments. This is the first time in history that they have made it this far. I'm glad to see that they are celebrating and I'm glad to see the people of Knott Co. going all out for them. They earned it. All too soon it will be back to business as usual but for now I say let them celebrate. Good luck JBS. Win or lose make some noise at Rupp!!

I love this post... I enjoy seeing good sportsmanship from fans of other schools... especially Hazard and KCC... Hazard fans have been to Rupp plenty of times to and for them having a small enrolement as well... they understand how difficult it is to compete with much bigger schools. I love seeing everyone being supportive of JBS regardless if you like them or not. It shows why 14th Region basketball is one of the best in the state!!!
Here is the USA Today link, It's a reprint of the earlier article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/bas...anan_N.htm
Thats dumb...they havent done anything
Congrats on the national attention though.
Did you know in 1956 the cities of Hazard and Wayland held victory celebrations for Carr Creek winning the state title? Here we are 51 years later and the vocal minority is ripping teen age kids for winning. It's sad to think eastern Kentucky hardly ever gets positive press from the "outside world" and then when we get positive stories written about our teams or the area...some mountain people try to destroy the positive. Go JBS and do your best.
Good Luck JBS.
Like someone mentioned earlier, it's good to see the "media" promoting a positive story about eastern Kentucky. Typically eastern Kentucky only gets negative statewide/national coverage. It's nice to see our own local version of "Hoosiers". No matter how you may feel about the alleged situation at JBS or the Stepps- these are a bunch of teenage boys who love the game. Give them the credit they deserve and let them enjoy their time in the spotlight (regardless of what their last name may be). Good Luck at Rupp boys- play hard and have the time of your lives. There are players all over the state who wish they had this chance.
Just finished reading the courier - journal article. Great publicity for East Ky. and the school. The boys do deserve the attention and praise. We should be proud of the boys. Interesting quote from headmaster Allen " We have our house in order " . Wonder why he made such a statement ? Lets watch and see.
LoneStar Wrote:Just finished reading the courier - journal article. Great publicity for East Ky. and the school. The boys do deserve the attention and praise. We should be proud of the boys. Interesting quote from headmaster Allen " We have our house in order " . Wonder why he made such a statement ? Lets watch and see.

I agree. I found these parts interesting...

"Not everybody is happy we're going to Rupp Arena," headmaster Yvon Allen said. "As long as you're not competitive, there's no problem. And it's automatically assumed -- or it appears to be -- that if you're winning, you did something wrong. I've had people who are in the know across the state say, 'Be sure you keep your house in order.' … We make sure our house is in order."

Allen said players from public high schools have inquired about transferring to June Buchanan.

"We didn't accept any of those students," he said. "We've never accepted a child that has played a minute at another high school. And we've had offers more often than you can imagine."
Congrats
Go JBS!
devilswin, your just mad that your raceland rams couldnt get past the evils in district!!!!
[quote=bizmark]devilswin, your just mad that your raceland rams couldnt get past the evils in district!!!![/quote:lmao:
bizmark Wrote:devilswin, your just mad that your raceland rams couldnt get past the evils in district!!!!

:lmao:
There is a difference in the Stepps coaching ALC in the 90's and now.
Arbys Man Wrote:There is a difference in the Stepps coaching ALC in the 90's and now.

Really? How so?
Well in the 90's there were no Stepps playing for them besides Jims son Travis. Jim did not push him and make him practice everyday, he let him have a life. Also Jim and Joe didnt talk about him 24/7. I know this cause I went to school with him.
haha. ya like that DW? :flame:go Devils right!!!!!!!