Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tentative high school football classifications revealed
AnswertheBell Wrote:Am I missing something with Harlan County? I read the article released and it did not mention them moving. I assume the KHSAA has the numbers? I would think they would know a little something? Maybe, LOL. Maybe it has something to do with projections of new schools that keep them in 5A instead of just looking at this years numbers? Please explain why they would not be listed in article as to be potentially moving down if they had 4A numbers?
Apparently he didn’t read the article Confusednicker:
I Rule The World Wrote:Class 2A
District 1 – Ballard Memorial, Mayfield, Murray, Caldwell County
District 2 – Butler County, Hancock County, McLean County, Owensboro Catholic, Todd County Central, Edmonson Co.
District 3 – Clinton County, Green County, Metcalfe County, Monroe County, Somerset
District 4 – Danville, LCA, Bath Co., Washington County
District 5 – Carroll County, Gallatin County, Owen County, Walton-Verona, Shawnee
District 6 –Holy Cross (Covington), Lloyd Memorial, Beechwood, Bracken County,
District 7 – Middlesboro, Breathitt, Leslie, Knott
District 8 – West Carter, Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg, Betsy Lane, Shelby Valley, East Ridge

This is My 2A for now, but I fully expect West Carter and Bath to play up again like last time, and Morgan and Magoffin move down to 2A..

West is highly likely play in 2A and not move up. If they do Bath should as well.
33 power Wrote:It amazes me that people will not actually look at the numbers just posted and just take headlines. There numbers are 4A.

https://portal.ksba.org/public/Meeting/A...tID=401193

Are you taking into account all the new schools and movement of others before you just look at numbers and divide?
I Rule The World Wrote:Class 2A
District 2 – Butler County, Hancock County, McLean County, Owensboro Catholic, Todd County Central, Edmonson Co.
District 3 – Clinton County, Green County, Metcalfe County, Monroe County, Somerset
District 4 – Danville, LCA, Bath Co., Washington County
District 5 – Carroll County, Gallatin County, Owen County, Walton-Verona, Shawnee
District 7 – Middlesboro, Breathitt, Leslie, Knott
District 8 – West Carter, Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg, Betsy Lane, Shelby Valley, East Ridge

This is My 2A for now, but I fully expect West Carter and Bath to play up again like last time, and Morgan and Magoffin move down to 2A..

Doubtful on either playing up but time will tell.

What your going to have to explain to me is how you can take Bath County (a 16th region school in all sports in the 606 area code less than an hours drive from Ashland) and place them in a west side district? Then in turn take a Louisville school in Shawnee and place them on the east side? That makes no geographic sense. SV and ER need to move in with D7 and Bath County into D8. Bath County has been in district with Prestonsburg and SV before. Shawnee closer to D4 district than D5 and should move into that slot.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Class 2A
District 2 – Butler County, Hancock County, McLean County, Owensboro Catholic, Todd County Central
District 3 – Clinton County, Green County, Metcalfe County, Monroe County, Edmonson County
District 4 – Danville, LCA, Somerset, Washington County
District 7 – Prestonsburg, Betsy Layne, Sheldon Clark, Bath County, West Carter
District 8 – Middlesboro, East Ridge, Leslie County, Shelby Valley, Knott Central, Breathitt County

Pike County SI won't allow ER and SV to travel that much. Expect to see a district 8 of PBurg, BL, SC, SV, and ER.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Harlan County isn’t moving according to the article

The article could have left them out by mistake. The numbers do appear to show Harlan County as 4A. Schools moving around could bump them back to 5A though, I guess.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:With all due respect to NCC. I am a little saddened by Beechwood leaving 1A. It closes a chapter on Pikeville vs Beechwood...Hopefully we can meet in Lexington one last time...

That's true HP. A lot of history between these two going back a few decades I suppose.
Potential 3A Districts IF Bath County and West Carter play up and Morgan Co and Magoffin Co move into 2A

1- Webster Co, fort Campbell, Union Co, Paducah, Trigg Co

2- CAL, Desales, Central, Henry Co, Western Hills, Pendleton Co (3A tough for Pendleton as there isn't anyone close. WH and HC probably closer than any current district opponent)

3- Bardstown, Thomas Nelson, Nelson Co, Etown, Larue Co (all border)

4- Adair, Taylor, Glasgow, Hart Co

5- Boyle, Garrard, Mercer, Casey Co (all border)

6- Bell Co, Jackson Co, McCreary, Estill Co, Powell Co (EC, PC, and JC border)

7- Mason Co, Fleming Co, Bath Co, Lewis Co, East Carter, West Carter (all border)

8- Belfry, Pike Central, Floyd Central, Lawrence Co, Russell, Greenup Co (US 23 district)
Real Badman Wrote:Pike County SI won't allow ER and SV to travel that much. Expect to see a district 8 of PBurg, BL, SC, SV, and ER.

Didn't know Pike County was making the call on districts.
Real Badman Wrote:Pike County SI won't allow ER and SV to travel that much. Expect to see a district 8 of PBurg, BL, SC, SV, and ER.

So your thoughts would leave Bath Co, West Carter, Knott, Breathitt, Leslie, and M'boro....How about this:
KHSAA offers deal to Bath, West, Morgan, and Magoffin (all 4 within 8 spots of each other on enrollment splitting 2A and 3A). Morgan and Magoffin drop to 2A (as they are 2 of the last 3 into 3A) and offer Bath and West to move up into 3A district of Fleming, Mason, Lewis, East, West, and Bath Co. Morgan and Magoffin move in with Knott, Breathitt, Leslie, and M'boro. (M'boro is in no man's land in the new alignment as there isn't anyone even close.)

Talk of Greenup moving to 3A is interesting but if I am Greenup Co (current 4A) AND Russell (middle 3A but football heavy) I am wanting in the 4A district with Ashland, Boyd, and Rowan Co. Either of those teams can and would compete for the district title every year with Ashland (who is surprisingly close to 3A in the new alignment).
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Doubtful on either playing up but time will tell.

What your going to have to explain to me is how you can take Bath County (a 16th region school in all sports in the 606 area code less than an hours drive from Ashland) and place them in a west side district? Then in turn take a Louisville school in Shawnee and place them on the east side? That makes no geographic sense. SV and ER need to move in with D7 and Bath County into D8. Bath County has been in district with Prestonsburg and SV before. Shawnee closer to D4 district than D5 and should move into that slot.

You done the same thing. You put Shawnee in the same exact spot...
Try selling Middlesboro or East Ridge on Travelling that far for a district game. It sucks for Leslie Co. Middlesboro would REALLY suck for both those teams...
Bath is right on 64 just about 30 min. from Lex.
[quote=I Rule The World]You done the same thing. You put Shawnee in the same exact spot...
Try selling Middlesboro or East Ridge on Travelling that far for a district game. It sucks for Leslie Co. Middlesboro would REALLY suck for both those teams...
Bath is right on 64 just about 30 min. from Lex.[/QUOTE]

Bath Co is 46 miles per the sign on I-64 from Lexington but a good hour+ from LCA on the southwest side of town. That would be their closest opponent in district. Danville 1.5-2 hours, Springfield 2.5 hours.

Middlesboro is in no mans land regardless of district. So is Shawnee. How bout this since it's already in place:
-Leave M'boro with LCA, Danville, and Somerset (moving Washington Co in possibly as well)
-Leave Shawnee with I-71 district (Carroll, WV, etc.)
-Combine Bath Co and West Carter with P'burg, SC, and BL
-Combine SV, ER, and Leslie with Knott and Breathitt
AnswertheBell Wrote:Really? I hadn’t heard of it. Didn’t Jefferson County have some sort of a rule like that at one time?

When there were only three classes, I'm pretty sure 3a was comprised only of Louisville schools. I think all that changed when they went to four classes. I think it was in the mid seventies but I'm not entirely sure about the timeline. Someone older and wiser will have to clarify that.
Yeah, I think 3A was just Louisville from 1959 (when the playoffs started) to something like 1975.
Jefferson Co (Louisville) has their own regions and that winner would play the winner of other 2 regions not in Jefferson. I think that ended in mid 80’s. Not sure about that. All JC schools played biggest class then. Again I’m not sure when that stopped.
I think 3A was just Jefferson County from 59 to 74 - every state champ is from Louisville those years.
I figured there would be some 2A in the mountains going to 1A with the decline of coal and population. They're several 2A in the mountains
AnswertheBell Wrote:Are you taking into account all the new schools and movement of others before you just look at numbers and divide?

I’m not taking anything into account it’s not me it’s the numbers posted, because if you look at the KHSAA document and find Harlan co then look all the way to the right it plainly states 4A with the word down highlighted in blue. For poster below the only way they can play in 5A is they request to do so. It has nothing to do with others moving. The only way you can move up is if you request it and the only way to move down is if another team moves up in to your class then starting with the lowest member of that class the khsaa will ask if you want to move down and will do so until their magic number is met. I didn’t know I was going to cause so much controversy because I “correctly” said Harlan had 4a numbers. Lol
33 power Wrote:I’m not taking anything into account it’s not me it’s the numbers posted, because if you look at the KHSAA document and find Harlan co then look all the way to the right it plainly states 4A with the word down highlighted in blue. For poster below the only way they can play in 5A is they request to do so. It has nothing to do with others moving. The only way you can move up is if you request it and the only way to move down is if another team moves up in to your class then starting with the lowest member of that class the khsaa will ask if you want to move down and will do so until their magic number is met. I didn’t know I was going to cause so much controversy because I “correctly” said Harlan had 4a numbers. Lol
No controversy at all...
33 power Wrote:I’m not taking anything into account it’s not me it’s the numbers posted, because if you look at the KHSAA document and find Harlan co then look all the way to the right it plainly states 4A with the word down highlighted in blue. For poster below the only way they can play in 5A is they request to do so. It has nothing to do with others moving. The only way you can move up is if you request it and the only way to move down is if another team moves up in to your class then starting with the lowest member of that class the khsaa will ask if you want to move down and will do so until their magic number is met. I didn’t know I was going to cause so much controversy because I “correctly” said Harlan had 4a numbers. Lol

"Others moving" has an effect every realignment. You have to have a certain number of schools in each class, so if some schools move up it could change the entire state.
HCS Wrote:The article could have left them out by mistake. The numbers do appear to show Harlan County as 4A. Schools moving around could bump them back to 5A though, I guess.
Nobody was arguing they didn't have the numbers to drop, simply stated what the article said, or in this case didn't say. Could have been a mistake, but until we know for sure no sense in just assuming they are just because they have the numbers. It's how fake news gets started Confusednicker:
SPORTS FAN 101 Wrote:I figured there would be some 2A in the mountains going to 1A with the decline of coal and population. They're several 2A in the mountains

There are several 3A eastern KY schools that are dropping to 2A. Breathitt, Knott, Sheldon Clark are dropping. Bath County and West Carter have been 2A but playing up because of geography. Morgan and Magoffin are at the 3A cut line (1st and 3rd from bottom) and could drop if some play up to 3A.
HCS Wrote:"Others moving" has an effect every realignment. You have to have a certain number of schools in each class, so if some schools move up it could change the entire state.
Back on topic, how do/would you see HC fairing in 4A HCS?
What happens to Johnson Central district wise? No 5a teams close to them.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Didn't know Pike County was making the call on districts.

They do on everything else.
Others moving is certainly a very big deal. Look a 1A if New Cath decides to stay in 2A. It flips to heavy mountain favorite. Also for Harlan Co with Johnson Cent in 5A now in the east (JC would have been 5A rep this year, imo) and no real traditional powers in 4A I would say a path to a state champ is easier IMO. Unless Highlands decides to 4A and gets back to their normal self. Depending upon cross-bracketing and stupid seeding thing it could come down to Harlan and Corbin in the East. All purely speculation. We will probably have to wait till April some time for final draft and districting but it is interesting as 31 teams could be moving down per the document so while I know many will decide to stay in current class there will still be a lot of movement. And don't everyone get on me about the traditional powers statement because your school won a championship in 1980 something. LOL
BelfryPride Wrote:2018 could be the final curtain call for Belfry vs. Corbin

No if there not in the same class they can get a regular season now
Fort Campbell will be in Oboro Cath District
Marshall, McCracken, Henderson, Daviess, Apollo, Muhlenberg. Whose in whose out?
blue55 Wrote:Marshall, McCracken, Henderson, Daviess, Apollo, Muhlenberg. Whose in whose out?

I wouldn't be shocked to see Greenwood petition to move up to 6A. They don't have a coach right now, so I'm not sure if they will b/c of that or if their admin would go ahead and do it.