Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cop Suspended. What Do You Think?
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (WPEC) - They work hard through the hurricane to help us.
But who is helping them during those times of trouble?

A Port St. Lucie Police officer has been suspended for calling in sick during Hurricane Irma because she said she had to take care of her children.

The details of this case are contained in an Internal Affairs report.

When a hurricane is heading in our direction, should a police officer and mother with kids be required to come in? Or should the mother be allowed to stay home and take care of her kids?

When Hurricane Irma was taking aim at South Florida in early September, one police officer on the Treasure Coast was calling in sick.

“I’ve already booked out for today, so I wanted to let you know that tomorrow, of course, I’m gonna be calling in sick too because of the whole you know, no child care,” Port St. Lucie Police Officer Erika Curry said in a voicemail released by police.

According to Internal Affairs, Officer Curry couldn’t get anyone to watch her kids.

Her husband, a St. Lucie County firefighter, was being activated, and so Officer Curry decided she couldn’t come to work, even though police officers were notified they would have to work mandatory 13-hour shifts. The Internal Affairs report says her mother-in-law was supposed to watch her two children, but she evacuated as the hurricane was approaching leaving Curry with no childcare options. Here’s what Curry’s supervisor told Internal Affairs.

http://fox45now.com/news/videos/officer-...icane-irma
If she were to get fired for a second offence, Nancy Grace would be all over it.