Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats Pikeville!
I got a call late last night and my cousin told me that Pikeville is getting a new battery manufacturing plant! Paying close to $40 an hour and hiring close to 800 folks or more.

Starting to move away from Coal, is a good start hoping this will help the area out. I think it should. Anyway, see you around Christmas!
Good for Pikeville.

Confusedinglepar
It was a stupid move for the Obama Administration to force the closure of hundreds of viably functioning coal fired electrical generating stations across the eastern seaboard and the Midwest. Coal can and was being burned cleanly, but the sky-is-falling climate alarmists had their day anyway, because their calendar boy was in office. Forget the fact that he used a malignant and politicized EPA to regulate the industry out of business. Drunk with success and with their eyes on gun control among many other things, liberals then tried and nearly succeeded in using the EPA to ban lead bullets, and even made strides toward nationalizing water.

There are no meaningful alternatives to fossil fuels. What are 324 million US citizens supposed to do with themselves from the day fossil fuels are banned until these as yet invisible alternative energy sources are developed? The development of which I have serious doubts about in the first place BTW. And then there is the rest of the world. Russia, India and China being the major players among them, all of whom happily burn all the fuel they can get their hands on. Only the incredibly naïve Americans will suffer as the USA is maneuvered into insignificance by the left. The whole renewable energy argument is like pitching a beach umbrella on the dark side of the moon. Gains nothing and means nothing. And BTW for all my onesie wearing hot coco sipping liberal friends out there, you won't find a McDonald's drive-thru, nor Twinkies, and there is no XBOX on the dark side either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mr.fundamental Wrote:I got a call late last night and my cousin told me that Pikeville is getting a new battery manufacturing plant! Paying close to $40 an hour and hiring close to 800 folks or more.

Starting to move away from Coal, is a good start hoping this will help the area out. I think it should. Anyway, see you around Christmas!

These was the jobs Hillary Clinton was talking about doing her campaign......Now Trump can take the credit for them..........I still like the ideal keep coal alive :Cheerlead
64SUR Wrote:These was the jobs Hillary Clinton was talking about doing her campaign......Now Trump can take the credit for them..........I still like the ideal keep coal alive :Cheerlead

Hillary??:biglmao:

Lol.....uh, I don’t think so.
Batteries don't charge themselves and they don't care if their charges come from fossil fuels or fusion reactors. Batteries are no substitute for a responsibly managed power grid and an "all of the above" approach to power generation.

Hillary lost and everybody should celebrate the fact that we all dodged a bullet last November. One of Trump's worst mistakes has been not keeping his promise to give Hillary the justice that she deserves along with the bars and orange jumpsuits that go with it.
64SUR Wrote:These was the jobs Hillary Clinton was talking about doing her campaign......Now Trump can take the credit for them..........I still like the ideal keep coal alive :Cheerlead

Hillary Clinton campaign promise; "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business."
http://www.weeklystandard.com/clinton-we...le/2001541

Any functioning adult should be able to work that one ^^ out for himself. I know most coal miners did and voted against Killary. And owing mainly to the fact that fossil fuels presently keep the lights on and the battery factories humming, you can have both. But try to understand this, if Democrats do one day manage to ban or otherwise regulate fossil fuels out of contention as Hillary promised to do, you won't have batteries or electricity.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think the market was already going to put Coal out of business, my worry was for Eastern Kentucky, and what happens to the people afterwards. That is why I am glad to see Pikeville move in another direction. The people deserve better, they have built our infrastructure (now crumbling) I would hate for them to have to relocate like I had to.

Enjoy the bottom link: I will find more for your reading as well.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/inves...re-to-stay
mr.fundamental Wrote:I think the market was already going to put Coal out of business, my worry was for Eastern Kentucky, and what happens to the people afterwards. That is why I am glad to see Pikeville move in another direction. The people deserve better, they have built our infrastructure (now crumbling) I would hate for them to have to relocate like I had to.

:thatsfunn The Big Sandy Power Plant at Louisa, Kentucky, might not agree with you about that. Onerous EPA regulations had forced them to close that perfectly functioning, modern, multi-million dollar facility, leaving their customer base in the lurch. The same holds true for coal mine owners, marine coal shipping companies, and overland coal shipping companies, all of whom together owning vast fleets of boats, barges, tri-axle trucks, coal docks and other loading facilities, cranes, bull dozers, loaders, and heavy equipment of all kinds. Along with an incredibly complex network of support industry to include supply chains, all manner of office and maintenance facilities, vehicles, and other maintenance equipment and all the folks who ply their trades. You put all that together with the folks who actually work at the power plant and there are literally thousands of direct and indirect jobs to consider. Billions of dollars of investment and production before we can even start to consider the consumers who pay for the electricity generated by this one monumental network alone. Not to mention that one could easily multiply the overall financial carnage by a factor of 125, the number of coal plants closed under the Oblah-blah-blah Misadministration.

Further impact on the economy would include the businesses once frequented by all those folks mentioned above. Stores, car dealerships, the housing industry, local contractors, insurance providers on the industrial side as well as the consumer side, the list is nearly endless. But then, there is ObamaCare and foodstamps to fall back on, right there tvtime? And we all pay for that.

So, first we can flush the trillions of dollars in investments and the livelihoods of who knows how many on an unsubstantiated whim. Which of course is the liberal pipe dream which is global warming. Then we consider the fact that Big Sandy had to retool their plant in order to burn natural gas, more millions up in smoke. And lastly in so doing, we manage to shoot enough holes in an already substandard power grid so as to render it a veritable and teetering house of cards. But you say it was 'the market' which drove folks to drop kick trillions of dollars in established and viable technology of a cliff in order to slowly recoup said losses over the course of the next 75 years huh? Wow, what sparkling financial logic. And Obama and Hillary's war on coal had nada to do with it huh? :please:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm always curious why Pro-Coal advocates such as on this thread act like East Kentucky was thriving and glorious before Obama began regulating the coal industry to be cleaner. Was coal really helping East Kentucky/Appalachia thrive that much?

What was the excuse for high unemployment and poverty before the Obama Administration out of curiosity?

I must have grown up in a different East Kentucky than most of you because it was in bad shape way before Obama. Guess he's a pretty easy scapegoat though.
Motley Wrote:I'm always curious why Pro-Coal advocates such as on this thread act like East Kentucky was thriving and glorious before Obama began regulating the coal industry to be cleaner. Was coal really helping East Kentucky/Appalachia thrive that much?

What was the excuse for high unemployment and poverty before the Obama Administration out of curiosity?

I must have grown up in a different East Kentucky than most of you because it was in bad shape way before Obama. Guess he's a pretty easy scapegoat though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. On the other hand, I've always been curious why Anti-Coal advocates such as on this thread, act like a financial hit like the one I just described doesn't adversely affect an already depressed area even more. So you're saying if we take a trillion or so dollars out of an already anemic local economy that don't hurt?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean. On the other hand, I've always been curious why Anti-Coal advocates such as on this thread, act like a financial hit like the one I just described doesn't adversely affect an already depressed area even more. So you're saying if we take a trillion or so dollars out of an already anemic local economy that don't hurt?

A trillion dollars out of Eastern Kentucky? Wow... streets must be paved with Gold there...

Let's say 50 counties are in Eastern Kentucky... is that not 20 billion in each county... wow!

I would have to say this is false news at its best.

However, there would be impact, and already is impact that is why I am glad Pikeville has chosen to move forward. The announcement will come tomorrow.
mr.fundamental Wrote:I think the market was already going to put Coal out of business, my worry was for Eastern Kentucky, and what happens to the people afterwards. That is why I am glad to see Pikeville move in another direction. The people deserve better, they have built our infrastructure (now crumbling) I would hate for them to have to relocate like I had to.

mr.fundamental Wrote:A trillion dollars out of Eastern Kentucky? Wow... streets must be paved with Gold there...

Let's say 50 counties are in Eastern Kentucky... is that not 20 billion in each county... wow!

I would have to say this is false news at its best.

However, there would be impact, and already is impact that is why I am glad Pikeville has chosen to move forward. The announcement will come tomorrow.

So tvtime, you hop right over all the bull you put out on here about how 'the market' supposedly selected the coal industry's elimination, which you could not substantiate BTW, to make a point about an obvious exaggeration that I made when speaking with Motley huh?

What I said to you was the closure and retool of the Big Sandy Plant cost the local economy billions of dollars, and I stand by my published assessment. Now, if you want to refute that with your own argument I would have to say, go for it. But we both know you just gave it your best shot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]