Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just for fun, is this 6 class system broke?
This is for fun, so let's let it be that. Is there any way to fix this system and make it more competitive in all classes but 6A? Who can fix the Trinity problem short of kicking them out of the KHSAA. That group just has an amazing program.

Single A... maybe move Beechwood up to 2a to open up the west? East is pretty good.

Double A... West seems good, east is loaded but have heard Belfry could possibly drop, any truth to that? I know all of East Ky's numbers are dropping across the board.

Triple A... move Belfry down, Corbin supposedly going up I've heard, Central and Boyle to 4A

Four A... Add Corbin, Central and Boyle

Five A... move Cath and Highland up along with BG and South Warren.

Of course this is just fun, I don't believe anyone should be punished for hard work. So have fun with this.
Indiana does this kind of thing.
I'm really not sure what the answer is in 6A, but the whole system really should be scrapped and the KHSAA should start over. At least if you keep the 6 class system go back to only 2 teams from each district make the playoffs or take 3 and give the champ a bye in the first round. The days of letting 0 win or 1 win teams needs to end, there is no sense in wasting money on transportation to go get beat 65-0.

If we could figure out the riddle of Trinity and X, I would much rather have the old 4 class system. I know the post is in fun, and that nothing is really ever going to be done, I just really dislike having this many classes in a state the size of KY, it's overkill just to appease schools that can't beat the two bullies in Louisville.
Eliminate 3-4 seeds getting in. Play 6 class championships on Thanksgiving weekend. Following weekend 1A vs 2A for Div III championship. 3A vs 4A D II championship and 5A vs 6A for D I championship.
I think either go down to 5 classes or make it where 3 teams get in from a district. 1 seed gets a bye, 2 and 3 play each other. Whatever it is though there will always be people that don't like it.
This is going to sound blasphemous to many, but oh well....

Not everybody is capable to compete for a state title every year. Hell, most never have been capable of playing for a state title every year, aren't and never will be.

I'm a traditionalist in a lot of ways when it comes to this sport; one of which being that this great sport of ours is MEANT TO BE PLAYED IN THE FALL. The actual fall; not what we THINK fall is.

College season starts Labor Day weekend; the NFL starts the week after that (2nd weekend of September). I think high school football should follow suit (and, it does...IN SEVERAL Mid-Atlantic to Northeastern states....Labor Day weekend and/or the week after with the NFL).

"But, if we do that FLD then the seasons will end much later in December when the weather gets bad and also impinge on the start of basketball season, so that won't ever work!"

Wrong.

Take ONLY the district champion. Yes. I said it.....take ONLY the district champion.

**Before anybody points it out; I fully realize that Raceland and Johnson Central were the 2 seed in their districts; true. BUT, the other TEN finalists & ALL 6 Champions were DISTRICT CHAMPIONS**

There is something about playing into November that I just love. It resonates with me. It FEELS like football. Playing THREE games BEFORE the END of August however & sometimes 5-6 games (half and/or more) BEFORE the OFFICIAL start of FALL? That never has & to be quite honest; it never will.

Playing in November though? The leaves have all fallen off the trees; the clocks have been turned back.....practicing under the lights (if only for a week)? That's football. That's when, of all other times throughout the year, it just FEELS RIGHT.

Take ONLY the District Champs; two rounds of playoffs and then the state finals (staying on the 1st weekend of December like it is now and like it's been for the last TWENTY-FIVE or THIRTY YEARS- Many think playing this late into the year is something new; it's not).

"But what about those 2, 3, 4 seeds that deserve to play?!? You're cheating them!"

No I'm not....guess what they get to do? Take a trip back in time like it used to be in this state (even back in the 50's and 60's) & like it STILL IS in some Mid-Atlantic & NorthEastern States.....they get to play a THANKSGIVING DAY (Weekend Game).

Pick out an area rival similar to you, hell maybe even a rival...maybe even somebody you've played once already in the year and PLAY.

The regular season ends; we all know who is in and who isn't...schedule away. You have a bye week (1st round of the playoffs for others) then play the following (2nd round which would be Thanksgiving weekend).

"So the school's that DON'T get to make the playoffs get to play on Thanksgiving/Black Friday , but the District Champs that lose in the 1st round don't get to? That's not fair!" WRONG. Those schools also get to play a Thanksgiving Day/Black Friday. After that First round game; we know who is playing on and who isn't.....go scheduling OR DON'T. That's your choice.

Think about it.....Take Bell County and Whitley County for example; two 13th Region Schools...both SIMILAR in size....NEITHER of which won their district this year. Tell me that it wouldn't be COOL AS HELL for them to kick things off at 11:00am on Thanksgiving morning!!?? Or maybe even Black Friday morning?

Didn't get into the playoffs? So what...you're chances of winning it all were slim as is (don't ask me; check the overwhelming facts year in year out).

Using this years calendar.

Option 1
-11 week season like now allowing a bye; Starting Labor Day weekend (9/1)
- the last week of the regular season being 11/10/17.
- 1st Round 11/17 (Region Finals)
- 2nd Round 11/24 (Black Friday-Semifinals & also Thanksgiving Day games for others not competing for state finals)
- State Finals 12/1-2-3

Option 2
- 10 week season with NO BYE starting NFL opening weekend 9/8
- Everything else staying the same as Option 1.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:This is going to sound blasphemous to many, but oh well....

Not everybody is capable to compete for a state title every year. Hell, most never have been capable of playing for a state title every year, aren't and never will be.

I'm a traditionalist in a lot of ways when it comes to this sport; one of which being that this great sport of ours is MEANT TO BE PLAYED IN THE FALL. The actual fall; not what we THINK fall is.

College season starts Labor Day weekend; the NFL starts the week after that (2nd weekend of September). I think high school football should follow suit (and, it does...IN SEVERAL Mid-Atlantic to Northeastern states....Labor Day weekend and/or the week after with the NFL).

"But, if we do that FLD then the seasons will end much later in December when the weather gets bad and also impinge on the start of basketball season, so that won't ever work!"

Wrong.

Take ONLY the district champion. Yes. I said it.....take ONLY the district champion.

**Before anybody points it out; I fully realize that Raceland and Johnson Central were the 2 seed in their districts; true. BUT, the other TEN finalists & ALL 6 Champions were DISTRICT CHAMPIONS**

There is something about playing into November that I just love. It resonates with me. It FEELS like football. Playing THREE games BEFORE the END of August however & sometimes 5-6 games (half and/or more) BEFORE the OFFICIAL start of FALL? That never has & to be quite honest; it never will.

Playing in November though? The leaves have all fallen off the trees; the clocks have been turned back.....practicing under the lights (if only for a week)? That's football. That's when, of all other times throughout the year, it just FEELS RIGHT.

Take ONLY the District Champs; two rounds of playoffs and then the state finals (staying on the 1st weekend of December like it is now and like it's been for the last TWENTY-FIVE or THIRTY YEARS- Many think playing this late into the year is something new; it's not).

"But what about those 2, 3, 4 seeds that deserve to play?!? You're cheating them!"

No I'm not....guess what they get to do? Take a trip back in time like it used to be in this state (even back in the 50's and 60's) & like it STILL IS in some Mid-Atlantic & NorthEastern States.....they get to play a THANKSGIVING DAY (Weekend Game).

Pick out an area rival similar to you, hell maybe even a rival...maybe even somebody you've played once already in the year and PLAY.

The regular season ends; we all know who is in and who isn't...schedule away. You have a bye week (1st round of the playoffs for others) then play the following (2nd round which would be Thanksgiving weekend).

"So the school's that DON'T get to make the playoffs get to play on Thanksgiving/Black Friday , but the District Champs that lose in the 1st round don't get to? That's not fair!" WRONG. Those schools also get to play a Thanksgiving Day/Black Friday. After that First round game; we know who is playing on and who isn't.....go scheduling OR DON'T. That's your choice.

Think about it.....Take Bell County and Whitley County for example; two 13th Region Schools...both SIMILAR in size....NEITHER of which won their district this year. Tell me that it wouldn't be COOL AS HELL for them to kick things off at 11:00am on Thanksgiving morning!!?? Or maybe even Black Friday morning?

Didn't get into the playoffs? So what...you're chances of winning it all were slim as is (don't ask me; check the overwhelming facts year in year out).

Using this years calendar.

Option 1
-11 week season like now allowing a bye; Starting Labor Day weekend (9/1)
- the last week of the regular season being 11/10/17.
- 1st Round 11/17 (Region Finals)
- 2nd Round 11/24 (Black Friday-Semifinals & also Thanksgiving Day games for others not competing for state finals)
- State Finals 12/1-2-3

Option 2
- 10 week season with NO BYE starting NFL opening weekend 9/8
- Everything else staying the same as Option 1.

Lot of interesting stuff in there.
Go back to 4 classes and play the games on Friday and Saturday.
Nope it's not broke.
Atleast thats what thery say.
And they are never going to go back to smaller size classes per Tackett so there's really no use in discussing it anymore.

4 classes never worked. You can't expect teams like Perry Central to compete with Trinity and Scott County. It just isn't fair.

5 classes would have been the route I would have chosen, but 6 is where we are at and it's where will be at in 20 years.
Since this is just for fun. Combine 1a_2a, 3a-4a and 5a-6a. That would make for an exciting playoff. Of course we would have to get rid of the lower level teams from the districts
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Personally I like the class systems. I wish they would change the playoff design a little bit. Like rank the whole thing as far as teams. Or at least rank the region champs. That way the two best are playing in the title not the semi’s.
Now this is something that could be considered. It keeps the competitiveness up in all divisions. Not a bad idea.
I think everyone should get a trophy just like the majority of people in Kentucky that draw a check that don't have anything wrong with them. On a serious note, district champs only should be the ones playing in the playoffs. Football season lasts to long. No wonder so many kids get hurt. I guess its all about the $$$$$ though and not whats best for the players.
I would like to see the public schools go back to 4 classes and then divide the private schools into 2 classes. I have never liked the idea of a school who can offer scholarships and cherry pick their players, playing for a championship against teams who don't have that luxury. Just my opinion, not that it matters.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:I think everyone should get a trophy just like the majority of people in Kentucky that draw a check that don't have anything wrong with them. On a serious note, district champs only should be the ones playing in the playoffs. Football season lasts to long. No wonder so many kids get hurt. I guess its all about the $$$$$ though and not whats best for the players.

Disagree with the bolded. Too many very good teams that could have contended in those years were left at home because of one bad night or not enough points.

I liked the set up of 1st and 2nd place in District going to the playoffs.
The 4 class system was broken, period. If you have a problem with a 0, 1, 2 or 3 win team making it into the post season, that's fine. But, you also would need to have issue with the fact that in 4 classes, there is a HUGE difference between the bottom and top sizes in each class.

It's not a small size gap as it currently is, but a mid-size 2A school could easily and feasibly be going up against a school that is on the smaller end of 4A. Not as many people cry about that, but they should.

Neither system is perfect, by any means, though.

I'm not as bothered by the amount of teams making the playoffs, but as my friend said earlier, most teams aren't going to be in the running for a state championship run.

So, here's what I would do if I got to fill Tackett's leather loafers:

1. Top 2 teams make the post season
2. The regular season starts on Labor Day weekend
3. District play is finished by the 6th game of the season
4. Teams are allowed (and encouraged) to schedule official KHSAA contests after the traditional season is over.
4.2. There would be optional tournaments played at various sites around the state, that way you could have something like the Central Kentucky Regional Champion. The Southern Kentucky Regional Champion. The Eastern Kentucky Invitational Championship. The Louisville Metro Public School Invitational.
5. You can schedule up to 3 additional games, all the way up to the state semi-finals weekend.
6. Any team eliminated from the official post season would be eligible to participate in any consolation games after their loss.

You aren't required or mandated to schedule any additional games. Some places can't handle a season of that length, and that's perfectly fine too. But, I think that would do a world of good for the overall sport across the state. Let kids who aren't going to ever get the thrill and excitement of that cold night practice, have that fun. Because it's a big difference. Teams could host an additional game to generate more revenue. You could have neutral site games.

You don't have to love it, but I fully believe that it would be successful. You're giving more schools to create an opportunity for more meaningful games for themselves. Tell me that kids wouldn't rather have a specific regional over class championship over riding on a bus for 3 hours to get demolished before a sparse crowd who almost feels guilty for watching the game.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:The 4 class system was broken, period. If you have a problem with a 0, 1, 2 or 3 win team making it into the post season, that's fine. But, you also would need to have issue with the fact that in 4 classes, there is a HUGE difference between the bottom and top sizes in each class.

It's not a small size gap as it currently is, but a mid-size 2A school could easily and feasibly be going up against a school that is on the smaller end of 4A. Not as many people cry about that, but they should.

Neither system is perfect, by any means, though.

I'm not as bothered by the amount of teams making the playoffs, but as my friend said earlier, most teams aren't going to be in the running for a state championship run.

So, here's what I would do if I got to fill Tackett's leather loafers:

1. Top 2 teams make the post season
2. The regular season starts on Labor Day weekend
3. District play is finished by the 6th game of the season
4. Teams are allowed (and encouraged) to schedule official KHSAA contests after the traditional season is over.
4.2. There would be optional tournaments played at various sites around the state, that way you could have something like the Central Kentucky Regional Champion. The Southern Kentucky Regional Champion. The Eastern Kentucky Invitational Championship. The Louisville Metro Public School Invitational.
5. You can schedule up to 3 additional games, all the way up to the state semi-finals weekend.
6. Any team eliminated from the official post season would be eligible to participate in any consolation games after their loss.

You aren't required or mandated to schedule any additional games. Some places can't handle a season of that length, and that's perfectly fine too. But, I think that would do a world of good for the overall sport across the state. Let kids who aren't going to ever get the thrill and excitement of that cold night practice, have that fun. Because it's a big difference. Teams could host an additional game to generate more revenue. You could have neutral site games.

You don't have to love it, but I fully believe that it would be successful. You're giving more schools to create an opportunity for more meaningful games for themselves. Tell me that kids wouldn't rather have a specific regional over class championship over riding on a bus for 3 hours to get demolished before a sparse crowd who almost feels guilty for watching the game.

In the Dark Ages of the 70's, the old Central Kentucky Conference (CKC), used to host a bowl for two teams from the conference that didn't make the playoffs. (in those days many good teams were left out because of 1 loss or because of points on a tie breaker)

It was successful early.

1976 Boyle County (9-2 for 2nd consecutive year) played Henry Clay who had given Danville their only loss of the regular season. Rebels won 28-27 stopping a 2 point conversion late in the game.

1977 I don't recall who played but I think maybe Woodford County was in the Bowl.

1978 Boyle and Henry Clay hooked up again. HC was 10-1 and had been upset by Lafayette and didn't make the playoffs. They beat Boyle 30-10 after pulling away from a halftime lead of 16-10.

1979 Danville hosted Frankfort. Boyle was 9-1 and just lost a playoff spot on by a point and our disappointed team said NO WAY NO THANKS to playing another game after that.

It disbanded in 1980 I believe.
Hatz Wrote:In the Dark Ages of the 70's, the old Central Kentucky Conference (CKC), used to host a bowl for two teams from the conference that didn't make the playoffs. (in those days many good teams were left out because of 1 loss or because of points on a tie breaker)

It was successful early.

1976 Boyle County (9-2 for 2nd consecutive year) played Henry Clay who had given Danville their only loss of the regular season. Rebels won 28-27 stopping a 2 point conversion late in the game.

1977 I don't recall who played but I think maybe Woodford County was in the Bowl.

1978 Boyle and Henry Clay hooked up again. HC was 10-1 and had been upset by Lafayette and didn't make the playoffs. They beat Boyle 30-10 after pulling away from a halftime lead of 16-10.

1979 Danville hosted Frankfort. Boyle was 9-1 and just lost a playoff spot on by a point and our disappointed team said NO WAY NO THANKS to playing another game after that.

It disbanded in 1980 I believe.

I think games like that would be well received if they were brought back. I think you would have teams who missed out on the State Championship post season by a point or a possession who would be really hungry to go out and at least have something to show for their season.

It wouldn't even have to just be a single bowl game. I'd love to see whole secondary tournaments being played between 4 or 8 teams in a given area. Some of the smaller population spots in Kentucky would absolutely love to have an 8 team tournament featuring teams from the area. Those kids interact and see players from other teams. They would relish the opportunity to be able to say they were the Southern Kentucky Regional Champion. That has a better feel to it than getting to say they are a Regional Semi-Final participant.

Somebody tell Julian to contact me. I'll do all this stuff for him on the cheap.
I think we should just give every team a state championship trophy so everybody is happy!
Biased. But I still love mine.

I used to be the complete opposite of this thinking.

Start later; much later (some 3-4 weeks later than we do now depending on the option).

Season ends the same as it does now in regards to the state finals.

Regular season ends the 2nd week of November. Don’t win your district/make the playoffs? Tough. But there is a consolation...You still get to play on Thanksgiving (or Black Friday if you so choose).

Look it up. Still very big in the Mid Atlantic states and in the Northeastern states.

Tell ya what else would happen if things went this way...you’d get more kids out. Season wouldn’t start until the first or 2nd weekend of September thus also pushing back the start of practice to let’s say August 1st (which is when school starts for the majority or at least that first week of August), so all are BACK and summer is over as is.

Telling everybody right now...if you don’t think that:

1) Practice starting July 10 (so practically all of July)

THEN

2) School starting August 1 (some even start July 30/31)

...doesn’t have an effect on kids playing and parents signing themselves up for it; you’re nuts.

People talk about the lack of Freshman teams; even for the smaller schools. Well go back and look at some old year books in the 60s, 70s and 80s at some of these places and you’ll see a FULL freshman and JV squads both in the year books.

Guess when they started then? See the above. Practice was August 1. Games started Labor Day weekend as did School (or maybe the week before at the earliest).
36 teams in a class, it is watered down!
Go back to a 4 class system it would be more challenging and would be easier to get a schedule filled. JMO
Just for fun lets adopt Ohios system.
Trinity gets better recruits than UK!
Iam4thecats Wrote:Just for fun lets adopt Ohios system.

Or that. Never thought I’d say that either.
Four classes would provide a much better, more competitive system. IMO.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Or that. Never thought I’d say that either.

No districts, no meddling with the schedule. Form conferences with like minded schools or geographically. Play who you want(with an eye to being able to beat some teams that win). A little over half the teams miss the playoffs. Neutral and transparent math decides who gets in the playoffs and who plays at home.(harbin points are misunderstood by most people its not a computer rating they just use a formula and add data points up.) Playoffs are regional and not gerrymandered.
heard this suggestion from a coach and it makes a ton of sense. Take the top 2 from each district for the playoffs. Allow the 3 and 4 seeds or whoever to play almost like a bowl game. One game and its done. This gives kids something to play for, gets one more week of practice, eliminates most of the blow out games, and lets half the teams in the state end the season with a win. Like I said cant take credit for the idea but I really do like it.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:I think everyone should get a trophy just like the majority of people in Kentucky that draw a check that don't have anything wrong with them. On a serious note, district champs only should be the ones playing in the playoffs. Football season lasts to long. No wonder so many kids get hurt. I guess its all about the $$$$$ though and not whats best for the players.

yea everything is about money these days. if it wasn't there will still be 4 classes. but as for the player getting hurt, you can get hurt getting out of bed. if you don't want your kids playing because of that, you need to keep them in the house 24/7. because they can get hurt doing anything.

I see the KHSAA putting basketball in classes, to make more money.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Just for fun lets adopt Ohios system.

no one care about what Ohio is doing. if you want to be a IFO, then stay in Ohio.
and this is the last thing I am going to post about this. if yall don't like the way it is right now. you can always move to another state, because it is not going to change. but if the KHSAA put basketball into 6 classes, yall wont say nothing about it. every year the same ole shit.