Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 UCLA Basketball Players Caught Shoplifting In China
LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill picked a really bad country to get into trouble.

The three UCLA Bruins basketball players were arrested in China on suspicion of shoplifting from a Louis Vuitton store near their hotel in Shanghai. They are in China to face Georgia Tech in their season opener this weekend.

Following news of the arrests, Yahoo Sports’ Dan Wetzel did some analysis of the potential legal consequences. He was told the athletes could face 3-10 years if convicted.

Here’s what China’s criminal law code says about theft:

Those who steal relatively large amounts of public or private property and money or have committed several thefts are to be sentenced to three years or fewer in prison or put under criminal detention or surveillance, in addition to fines; or are to be fined. Those stealing large amounts of property and money or involving in other serious cases are to be sentenced to three to 10 years in prison, in addition to fines. Those stealing extraordinarily large amounts of property and money or involving in especially serious cases are to be sentenced to 10 years or more in prison or given life sentences, in addition to fines or confiscation of property. Those falling in one or more of the following cases are to be given life sentence or sentenced to death, in addition to confiscation of property:

(1) Those stealing extraordinarily large amounts of money and property from financial institutions;

(2) those committing serious thefts of precious cultural relics.

The legal expert with whom Wetzel spoke obviously believes the potential theft could fall into the second category for “large amounts of property”, leading to 3-10 years in prison. If their alleged left falls in the first category, they could be sentenced to three years or fewer and fined; or they could be fined.

Another issue is that the players could be detained until prosecutors decide whether to press charges. That process reportedly often takes 30-37 days.

Representatives from UCLA or the US government, or any involved lawyers would have to work to free the athletes from being detained and resolve the case.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/...smsnnews11
Big Burgler Brand
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Personally I think anytime you get caught doing something like this, especially when you have money like the Balls you should just be kicked off the team.
I'd say the same if it were UK players.
This type of nonsense doesn't deserve another chance.
I totally agree, Gut. When you have the money, and you chose to shop lift anyway, you're just choosing to be a thug.
I bet he won't pull any time at all
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I don’t know Spud. China could be a tough out!! Daddy Ball and his mouth and arrogance thinks this is “nothing but a misunderstanding”. IMO he has fed the entitlement title to his kids and now they want to cash in on it. It would work out in the US but I’m not so sure about China.

I don’t wish any bad things on any student athlete but at these kids age, I think they should be taught a lesson. Obviously it will be the first accountability lesson of their lives.
Hard to imagine anyone could be this stupid. Alford needs to suspend all 3 for the year.
Afraid I have little to no respect for Alford anymore.

China is going to teach Little Ball and the others, accountability lessons that should've been taught by their parents. UCLA returned yesterday without them. It will be interesting to see what goes down.
Granny Bear Wrote:Afraid I have little to no respect for Alford anymore.

China is going to teach Little Ball and the others, accountability lessons that should've been taught by their parents. UCLA returned yesterday without them. It will be interesting to see what goes down.

The fact that they are American athletes will probably hurt them. I bet they are regretting their poor decision making now.
I want to know LiAngelo Ball's thought process here. His dad was somewhat wealthy before, but his brother just signed a big-ass rookie contract in the NBA and he wants to shoplift. Is it that hard to ask Lonzo for a small loan or something? Jeez. What a stupid mistake by these kids.
IMO money/need has nothing to do with it. It's entitlement and I believe Daddy Ball has pretty much ruined his kids with it. That's a shame too. They are so talented!

They have not the first clue about responsibility and accountability. China may just teach that lesson to their youngest.
Heard today that the BBB is in Hong Kong giving away free shoes.
#BBFL
Does this mean that UCLA is leading the PAC 10 in steals this year?
^ Confusednicker:

Well Trump has intervened and the kids are on their way home. I can't wait to see how the media spins this. I mean Daddy Ball is definitely a liberal big mouth and the media is...well....the media.

Be fun to read about IF it's covered.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/14/3-u...fting.html
Anyone watch their interviews after they returned home?
#BBFL
Those kids are lucky that they play for UCLS, Trump just happened to be in the country, and mainly one of their last name is Ball. If one of then isn't a Ball, they have problems. They went to four different stores, and the stores were expensive stores, like the most expensive types of stores. They are lucky they only got off with three weeks in a hotel (house arrest). Nike has a big deal with UCLA, rumor has it NIKE is nervous concerning the Ball family. They might get out while they can. No one will dispute them for doing so, when it comes to an international incident. I wonder if UCLA will expell the three players. Many think they should.
Well Daddy Ball has pissed Trump off something fierce by saying he had no influence at all on the release of these kids. Trump tweeted this morning that he should've left them in jail. Smile

I expected nothing different from Daddy Ball!!
This is just such a stupid messed up situation. Had these three kids not been collegiate athletes they’d still be over there and probably in a jail. And I’m not convinced if one of them wasn’t a Ball family member then they wouldn’t be back on American soil right now. Why we keep giving this man Lavar Ball attention and raving over their family I’ll never understand.
#BBFL
I totally agree with the last two posts!
Well, Daddy Ball has taken LiAngelo out of UCLA. He also removed the youngest son from high school, so that he can be home schooled for the next two years.

This stinks to high heaven!! Steve Alford put those three on an indefinite suspension, and Daddy Ball can't live with it! I hope these boys have some positive influence from their mother because it's clear as a crystal that their father is teaching them NOTHING about character and accountability.

Wonder where LiAngelo will end up playing?
Liangelo isn’t even NBA material. Smart move would be to send him to a small school but he doesn’t need an education. He can just work for the BBB org and never have to worry about money.
#BBFL
LiAngelo is the true middle child in every sense of the word in the Ball family. Lonzo and LaMelo are the ones with NBA talent, LiAngelo was just part of the package deal Alford agreed to.