Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Mullins OUT at Dunbar
From what I have heard there is a coach, with a staff ready to join him, consisting of former Division 1 players and at least two former head coaches with experience in turning bad programs around. I've heard this from two separate sources that I have no doubt know something. This will be very interesting to see develop. The coach has been out of coaching for a few years but ready to get back in it and seemingly has a strong group of fellow coaches willing to follow him there. Obviously, this is just talk, but interesting to speculate.
Greenup was not good and neither was Dunbar. The only common denominator in that is him. Not talent. Not schedule. Not administrators. Him. I've seen situations where new coaches come in and have a rough couple of years in the beginning but they stick with them. Why? Because they see the work that coach has put into making the program as a whole better. Why did talent leave? Because he didn't get out in the community like he should have. He was out of his league coming from greenup. If you can't make them better you sure aren't going to win at Dunbar. It was a terrible hire. Dunbar is a place you can win at. However, you need winners to lead winners.
Mullins will have to make changes to become successful, 19 wins in 7 seasons, one by forfeit. Atchley can coach period, doesn't have anything to do with who he's coaching. The guy is a winner, Dunbar would be thrilled to have him, and he could build something special there that was his own.
Doesn’t both soccer teams along the football team practice on the game field with the band literally right beside them in the parking lot?

Sounds productive.
The soccer/band sounds like a difficult situation to overcome but very few schools have perfect situations, coaches job to find a way to win.
GoHerd_22 Wrote:The soccer/band sounds like a difficult situation to overcome but very few schools have perfect situations, coaches job to find a way to win.

Administrations job to make sure the coach has the resources he needs.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:A private school with evangelical white Christian students has not prepared him for a big public school with a lot of diversity and issues.

I BEG TO DIFFER Sir, Coach Atchley was a teacher more many years at LAFAYETTE HS, not to mention he was the offensive or maybe the defensive co-coordinator under coach Shaw. So the white evangelical Christians and public school diversity is out the window theory you mentioned... is out the door.
FBfan4life Wrote:I BEG TO DIFFER Sir, Coach Atchley was a teacher more many years at LAFAYETTE HS, not to mention he was the offensive or maybe the defensive co-coordinator under coach Shaw. So the white evangelical Christians and public school diversity is out the window theory you mentioned... is out the door.

I stand corrected big dawg... thanks for correcting me...I take my comment back..can one of the moderators please remove my original comment about Coach Atchley.. it’s incorrect ...
baseball1974 Wrote:Greenup was not good and neither was Dunbar. The only common denominator in that is him. Not talent. Not schedule. Not administrators. Him. I've seen situations where new coaches come in and have a rough couple of years in the beginning but they stick with them. Why? Because they see the work that coach has put into making the program as a whole better. Why did talent leave? Because he didn't get out in the community like he should have. He was out of his league coming from greenup. If you can't make them better you sure aren't going to win at Dunbar. It was a terrible hire. Dunbar is a place you can win at. However, you need winners to lead winners.

From what my peeps tell me you are speaking a lot of truth dude just did not care and Kids had no confidence in him is why they jetted out .... coaches to ...lost a bunch of them last 2 yrs..
Texas2step Wrote:From what I have heard there is a coach, with a staff ready to join him, consisting of former Division 1 players and at least two former head coaches with experience in turning bad programs around. I've heard this from two separate sources that I have no doubt know something. This will be very interesting to see develop. The coach has been out of coaching for a few years but ready to get back in it and seemingly has a strong group of fellow coaches willing to follow him there. Obviously, this is just talk, but interesting to speculate.

That is interesting. Not the name I heard, but sounds like it could be a home run! Is this a former coach in the state of KY?
TheRock Wrote:I am going to print and frame this post. Gut has said something nice about a Whitley administration. There are pigs flying overhead. LOL

Was it a moment of weakness or your alter ego?

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/354113781.html This is one of the good things Mr. Bob Lawson has done.
TheRock Wrote:Gut?

Confusednicker:
Don Draper Wrote:That is interesting. Not the name I heard, but sounds like it could be a home run! Is this a former coach in the state of KY?

The coaches that would come are both coaches from Kentucky.
Redzone Wrote:Mullins will have to make changes to become successful, 19 wins in 7 seasons, one by forfeit. Atchley can coach period, doesn't have anything to do with who he's coaching. The guy is a winner, Dunbar would be thrilled to have him, and he could build something special there that was his own.

He has done a great job at Christian, but my question would be, why in the world would he leave?? That is one of the premier jobs in the state. Just because it is a 2A school doesn't mean its less prestigious than a 6A school. He inherited a project at LCA and from what I understand, has great talent coming up. Good chance he can win a title at LCA.. At Dunbar...these days with what Trinity and St. X are doing you're never going to win one in 6A. Or your chances are significantly less than winning in 2A. Support at LCA is outstanding...with the next hire for Dunbar being the 10th coach in 20 years....You have to have reservations. Dunbar should be considered a risky job. Paul Rains, who has won a state championship, and is one of the great coaches, had one year at 6-6 before he called it quits...I'd say be careful and tred lightly on this one.
pjdoug Wrote:http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/354113781.html This is one of the good things Mr. Bob Lawson has done.

Good for Mr. Lawson.

Now who's going to be the coach at Dunbar? lol

I think it gives them an advantage that they are going to have first dibs on a new coach. Maybe they can get the best candidate possible like this. All of the Lexington schools are out of the playoffs except for one so they may look at hiring a local guy. Who knows?
Talent will be dropping significantly, this year's class was loaded, championship hopes may be closed, Danville is always roadblock, two jobs, job A where you are expected to continue to win just about every game with now far less talent in 2A, job B where you could win 3-4 games first year, another one each year, maybe 7 or 8 by year 4 in 6A and they would build a statue of your liking in front of stadium, which one sounds more appealing
Redzone Wrote:Talent will be dropping significantly, this year's class was loaded, championship hopes may be closed, Danville is always roadblock, two jobs, job A where you are expected to continue to win just about every game with now far less talent in 2A, job B where you could win 3-4 games first year, another one each year, maybe 7 or 8 by year 4 in 6A and they would build a statue of your liking in front of stadium, which one sounds more appealing

I think that thinking is irrational. If you look at the history of the school why would you go there when you have a dream job like LCA. LCA has kids from all over CKY. I'm not saying they recruit but they have a better opportunity to get kids than most schools.
Don Draper Wrote:I think that thinking is irrational. If you look at the history of the school why would you go there when you have a dream job like LCA. LCA has kids from all over CKY. I'm not saying they recruit but they have a better opportunity to get kids than most schools.

I don't know I'm ready to proclaim LCA as a dream job, but it's definitely a nice one. I'm just saying talent is going down next year, indisputable, and maybe for someone who is ambitious and wants to coach at other levels, 6A is as high as it gets. Dunbar job isn't for everyone, but for someone that has confidence in themselves and their abilities and likes a challenge and doesn't base their life on history or what others believe , it's an opportunity to draw some attention to your coaching acumen.
Texas2step Wrote:He has done a great job at Christian, but my question would be, why in the world would he leave?? That is one of the premier jobs in the state. Just because it is a 2A school doesn't mean its less prestigious than a 6A school. He inherited a project at LCA and from what I understand, has great talent coming up. Good chance he can win a title at LCA.. At Dunbar...these days with what Trinity and St. X are doing you're never going to win one in 6A. Or your chances are significantly less than winning in 2A. Support at LCA is outstanding...with the next hire for Dunbar being the 10th coach in 20 years....You have to have reservations. Dunbar should be considered a risky job. Paul Rains, who has won a state championship, and is one of the great coaches, had one year at 6-6 before he called it quits...I'd say be careful and tred lightly on this one.

They give out the same trophy for 1A and 2A that they do for 6A; you’re exactly right.
Redzone Wrote:Talent will be dropping significantly, this year's class was loaded, championship hopes may be closed, Danville is always roadblock, two jobs, job A where you are expected to continue to win just about every game with now far less talent in 2A, job B where you could win 3-4 games first year, another one each year, maybe 7 or 8 by year 4 in 6A and they would build a statue of your liking in front of stadium, which one sounds more appealing

A lot of truth here also. One thing about PLD; nowhere to go but up.
Redzone Wrote:I don't know I'm ready to proclaim LCA as a dream job, but it's definitely a nice one. I'm just saying talent is going down next year, indisputable, and maybe for someone who is ambitious and wants to coach at other levels, 6A is as high as it gets. Dunbar job isn't for everyone, but for someone that has confidence in themselves and their abilities and likes a challenge and doesn't base their life on history or what others believe , it's an opportunity to draw some attention to your coaching acumen.

Compared to Dunbar and 97 percent of the public school football programs in Ky. LCA is a dream job ...
Any news? I have a lot of friends and people connected to Dunbar they r excited about the names they are hearing ... ...prime timers ...
Malcolm Ex Wrote:Compared to Dunbar and 97 percent of the public school football programs in Ky. LCA is a dream job ...

97 percent huh, wow, bold statement
Am I the only person that thinks if two coaches are having similar success with their teams, wins, improvement, etc. and both said coaches ultimate long term goal is to coach at the collegiate level, that maybe the 6A coach may have an advantage over the 2A or 1A coach? Is there 2A teams that can beat several 6A teams, absolutely, I'm only speaking in terms of moving up the coaching ladder if that's your goal
Redzone Wrote:Am I the only person that thinks if two coaches are having similar success with their teams, wins, improvement, etc. and both said coaches ultimate long term goal is to coach at the collegiate level, that maybe the 6A coach may have an advantage over the 2A or 1A coach? Is there 2A teams that can beat several 6A teams, absolutely, I'm only speaking in terms of moving up the coaching ladder if that's your goal
Yeah, that has zero correlation to how you get hired to coach in college.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Yeah, that has zero correlation to how you get hired to coach in college.

Really, please elaborate, if we compiled list of coaching promotions, would there be as many from lower as upper? Have any examples?
Don Draper Wrote:Good for Mr. Lawson.

Now who's going to be the coach at Dunbar? lol

I think it gives them an advantage that they are going to have first dibs on a new coach. Maybe they can get the best candidate possible like this. All of the Lexington schools are out of the playoffs except for one so they may look at hiring a local guy. Who knows?

Maybe a coach from Madison County?lol
Redzone Wrote:Really, please elaborate, if we compiled list of coaching promotions, would there be as many from lower as upper? Have any examples?

Going from high school to college level coaching is more about who you know, and what you were able to do with what you had, than school size.

Mainly, it's about who you know, though. If you have basically no connections to any college coach, it doesn't matter how big your school is. If you know all the right people, again, it doesn't matter how big or little, your school is.

But, the college coaching game is much different than high school. Chances are, you aren't going to make as much money. And, if you really want to advance, you've got to be prepared to make a ton of moves even when you don't want to.

I can promise you, though, that if anyone who was wanting to move from high school to college coaching, that the question of school size would never come up in the interview.
Redzone Wrote:Really, please elaborate, if we compiled list of coaching promotions, would there be as many from lower as upper? Have any examples?

#1 you are using words like promotions and climbing the ladder like football is one big corporation. It is not. It’s hard for college coaches to get hired by the NFL. It’s hard for D2 college coaches to even get hired by D1 colleges. It’s very rare for high school coaches to go to college and it’s almost as rare for them to even want to.
#2 If a guy as young as Atchley was planning on coaching college as a viable option he would have done so after college which is far and away the best option
#3 you have to know people
Iam4thecats Wrote:#1 you are using words like promotions and climbing the ladder like football is one big corporation. It is not. It’s hard for college coaches to get hired by the NFL. It’s hard for D2 college coaches to even get hired by D1 colleges. It’s very rare for high school coaches to go to college and it’s almost as rare for them to even want to.
#2 If a guy as young as Atchley was planning on coaching college as a viable option he would have done so after college which is far and away the best option
#3 you have to know people

It is 100% WHO YOU KNOW to move up the "ladder"....whether in college or in high school. I have known lots of guys who were assistants at the high school level who made the jump to college because of WHO THEY KNEW.