3A
N/A

4A
Warren Central: 0-10

5A
Woodford County: 0-10

6A
Seneca: 0-10

By my count, there are seven teams in the Playoffs with ZERO wins. That is seven too many.
If a team with no wins does make it to the playoffs, they should have to forfeit that first round game. IMO, it doesn't matter if there are only three or four teams in a district, if you can't get at least one win, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. You and I know that won't happen though. The main reason for the six class system was to get as many teams in the post-season as possible. In every other sport, each team gets at least one game in the post-season, football was the only exception. Now with six classes, there are only twenty eight teams eligible (four teams are not) for the playoffs that don't make it.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Are they taking up spots from more deserving teams? Are they actually really even hurting the legendary integrity of the post season?
meanwhile you have districts where there are 6 teams with 3 ranked in the top 10 of the state, the whole structure of the districts and playoffs needs to be looked at.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:1A
Caverna: 0-10
Fulton City: 0-10

2A
Shawnee: 0-9
Holy Cross (Covington): 0-10

3A
N/A

4A
Warren Central: 0-10

5A
Woodford County: 0-10

6A
Seneca: 0-10

By my count, there are seven teams in the Playoffs with ZERO wins. That is seven too many.

I can't imagine any other state having winless teams in their playoff systems. Maybe I'm wrong, but why should a team with zero wins make it over a team in another district with 2 or 3?
Rip/Spin Wrote:I can't imagine any other state having winless teams in their playoff systems. Maybe I'm wrong, but why should a team with zero wins make it over a team in another district with 2 or 3?

For example....

In Class 4A, In District 2, Warren Central is 0-10 and in the playoffs and will be playing against a 10-0 Logan County team. In District 8, East Carter is 4-6 with one district win, but didn't make the playoffs.

The argument would be to send East Carter to play @ Logan County. That would be a 4+ hour, 280+ mile trip from Grayson to Russellville for what more than likely would be a running clock in the first half. Would it really be worth it OR would it be better to have an 0-10 Warren Central team forfeit that first round game.

FWIW, my vote would be have the winless teams forfeit the first round game.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Kentucky's system is flawed. Allows for too much mediocrity. When teams are allowed to enter the playoffs even if they have no district wins, what is the incentive to work hard and prepare?
Don Draper Wrote:Kentucky's system is flawed. Allows for too much mediocrity. When teams are allowed to enter the playoffs even if they have no district wins, what is the incentive to work hard and prepare?

Being better?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:For example....

In Class 4A, In District 2, Warren Central is 0-10 and in the playoffs and will be playing against a 10-0 Logan County team. In District 8, East Carter is 4-6 with one district win, but didn't make the playoffs.

The argument would be to send East Carter to play @ Logan County. That would be a 4+ hour, 280+ mile trip from Grayson to Russellville for what more than likely would be a running clock in the first half. Would it really be worth it OR would it be better to have an 0-10 Warren Central team forfeit that first round game.

FWIW, my vote would be have the winless teams forfeit the first round game.

I feel like the 4 teams per district is way too much. I would think most on here would agree that they would rather watch competitive football games rather than blowouts and one team getting beat to death.
Go back to two teams per district or what i prefer.....district champion goes to the playoffs everybody else pulls out the basketballs
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Go back to two teams per district or what i prefer.....district champion goes to the playoffs everybody else pulls out the basketballs

I’m ok with two teams going. We do it in every other sport. It allows for a team that might have had a bad game to have something to continue to fight for. It also allows for a district with two great teams to have a rematch. I.e. Corbin vs casey co in the region championship last year. I think two teams is where it’s at. 3 at the most but you’d have to work it out bracket wise with byes for the 1st week. Two teams per district and keep it the way it is cross-district wise and seed the semi’s. Or two teams and seed all them like they do for NCAA basketball.
A winless team is no different than a team with zero district wins in most regions. 6A Mulenburg defeated some smaller schools but were not competitive in other 6A matchups. The spread between the haves and have nots is growing. Little to do with enrollment. Privates gobbling up athlete's every year. Only gonna get worse.
Note Mulenburg only has 28 football players. Its a credit to take the field against other 6A schools. Not taking shots at them. Much respect!
Why reward a team that didn't win a single game to make the playoffs? It's like participation trophys, everybody gets one just because. Their being rewarded for doing nothing. Playoffs should be rewarded to teams that work hard all year and fight and scratch to win every game to make the playoffs. Letting a team in the playoffs with a 0-10 record sets a bad example. It says it doesn't matter how hard we work we're still in. Not to mention that that 0-10 team may have a perfect night against a 10-0 team who worked their butts off all year to get where they are and have a terrible game only to get upset by someone who shouldn't have been there in the first place. I don't know if that has ever happened but it could. I'm all for the top 2 teams in each district making the playoffs. That does away with the blowout games and the risk of injuries in games that really doesn't matter. Just my opinion. I know some people won't agree with me but that's everyone's right. Good Luck to all in the playoffs.
I wish they would use Cantrell's State rankings and pick the top 4 teams and put them in a playoff. Say let #4 seed play the #1 seed and the #2 seed play the #3 seed. Then the winners of those games could square off and play for the state championship. :1:
Teams that aren't in the top 4 with at least 6 wins can pair off and play against an opponent of similar talent ( kind of like a bowl game).

Everyone can Drink Lots of Doctor Pepper and enjoy the games.

Nah on second thought, that sounds to much like our college system which SUCKS still.
Beside the #1 seed would probably win in the championship game 41-6, so it wouldn't be much of a contest.

:welcome:
Jackson Purchase Wrote:A winless team is no different than a team with zero district wins in most regions. 6A Mulenburg defeated some smaller schools but were not competitive in other 6A matchups. The spread between the haves and have nots is growing. Little to do with enrollment. Privates gobbling up athlete's every year. Only gonna get worse.
Thats a pretty old excuse. By the way what private school is stealing players away from Muhlenberg?
Top two from each district should make the playoffs. You have earned it at that point
Rip/Spin Wrote:I can't imagine any other state having winless teams in their playoff systems. Maybe I'm wrong, but why should a team with zero wins make it over a team in another district with 2 or 3?
Every team in Indiana makes the playoffs. The system still manages to produce very strong state championship teams. I think that it is a better system. Any system that results in high school players getting a few extra games of experience cannot be a bad thing, IMO.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Why reward a team that didn't win a single game to make the playoffs? It's like participation trophys, everybody gets one just because. Their being rewarded for doing nothing. Playoffs should be rewarded to teams that work hard all year and fight and scratch to win every game to make the playoffs. Letting a team in the playoffs with a 0-10 record sets a bad example. It says it doesn't matter how hard we work we're still in. Not to mention that that 0-10 team may have a perfect night against a 10-0 team who worked their butts off all year to get where they are and have a terrible game only to get upset by someone who shouldn't have been there in the first place. I don't know if that has ever happened but it could. I'm all for the top 2 teams in each district making the playoffs. That does away with the blowout games and the risk of injuries in games that really doesn't matter. Just my opinion. I know some people won't agree with me but that's everyone's right. Good Luck to all in the playoffs.
If every team participates in the playoffs, how is that like handing them a trophy? If they are winless going into the playoffs, then they are most likely going to exit the playoffs without a win. I don't think an 0-11 or a 1-10 team is going to put that record on a T-shirt.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If every team participates in the playoffs, how is that like handing them a trophy? If they are winless going into the playoffs, then they are most likely going to exit the playoffs without a win. I don't think an 0-11 or a 1-10 team is going to put that record on a T-shirt.

That's my point. Every team shouldn't make the playoffs. I said, in my opinion, only the top 2 teams in each district should make the playoffs. I was using the participation trophy as an example. Do you really think a winless team should make the playoffs? By not making the playoffs it more than likely saves them from more embarrassment. And I don't think I said or implied anywhere in my post about t-shirts Ol Buddy. Lol
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If every team participates in the playoffs, how is that like handing them a trophy? If they are winless going into the playoffs, then they are most likely going to exit the playoffs without a win. I don't think an 0-11 or a 1-10 team is going to put that record on a T-shirt.

I am going to agree with Hoot on this one let them played ball, :popcorn:
64SUR Wrote:I am going to agree with Hoot on this one let them played ball, :popcorn:

To each his own I guess. It's not like their going to listen to us either way. Lol
Willie Turnover Wrote:I wish they would use Cantrell's State rankings and pick the top 4 teams and put them in a playoff. Say let #4 seed play the #1 seed and the #2 seed play the #3 seed. Then the winners of those games could square off and play for the state championship. :1:
Teams that aren't in the top 4 with at least 6 wins can pair off and play against an opponent of similar talent ( kind of like a bowl game).

Everyone can Drink Lots of Doctor Pepper and enjoy the games.

Nah on second thought, that sounds to much like our college system which SUCKS still.
Beside the #1 seed would probably win in the championship game 41-6, so it wouldn't be much of a contest.

:welcome:

I would rather give everyone a freaking trophy then go by Cantrell's rankings. Its further away as a measuring stick for teams than flipping a coin would be. I'm all for 2 teams maybe even 3 out of each district then seeding them. But NOT by Cantrell's rankings. A new formula would need to be established that accounts for more variables and data, almost like a Kenpom for college.
Hound05 Wrote:I would rather give everyone a freaking trophy then go by Cantrell's rankings. Its further away as a measuring stick for teams than flipping a coin would be. I'm all for 2 teams maybe even 3 out of each district then seeding them. But NOT by Cantrell's rankings. A new formula would need to be established that accounts for more variables and data, almost like a Kenpom for college.

I agree, because Cantrell probably hasn't seen half the state play. I rather go by my dog's rankings for the playoffs then Dave Cantrell's
It is really embarrassing to talk to people from other states about our playoff system. I live 5 minutes away from Ohio and I actually work in Ohio. I was talking to some of my coworkers who are from Ohio about it today and they were shocked that it is like that here because the playoff structure in Ohio is so much more competitive and a lot of teams miss the playoffs there. I have no problem with kids playing more games but from a competitive standpoint it lessens the importance of winning during district play. Granted home field advantage is some incentive to win those games but imo teams would have much more on the line if there were 6 teams in each district and only 4 made the playoffs. It was like that when I played football and you best believe we played hard in every one of those games because we wanted to keep playing in November. This many just be me but I feel like making the playoffs should be a reward for having a successful regular season and letting everyone in cheapens it a bit.
E's Army Wrote:Top two from each district should make the playoffs. You have earned it at that point

The reason that wont work is that Tilghman in 2009 was 3rd in their district with a 3-6 record before they caught fire and won the 3A title. The odds of that happening again are slim to none, but it happened that year.
Orange Blaze Wrote:It is really embarrassing to talk to people from other states about our playoff system. I live 5 minutes away from Ohio and I actually work in Ohio. I was talking to some of my coworkers who are from Ohio about it today and they were shocked that it is like that here because the playoff structure in Ohio is so much more competitive and a lot of teams miss the playoffs there. I have no problem with kids playing more games but from a competitive standpoint it lessens the importance of winning during district play. Granted home field advantage is some incentive to win those games but imo teams would have much more on the line if there were 6 teams in each district and only 4 made the playoffs. It was like that when I played football and you best believe we played hard in every one of those games because we wanted to keep playing in November. This many just be me but I feel like making the playoffs should be a reward for having a successful regular season and letting everyone in cheapens it a bit.

I agree with everything you said. This is exactly the point I was trying to make.
Living on the WV border, I can tell you, their playoff system is much better than ours.... Most years, it takes at least 6 wins, but usually 7 to get in to the playoffs... In some cases of weak schedules, 7-3 teams don't make it in the playoffs... Their AAA class is a little different because they only have 29 teams with 16 making playoffs... However, this is the first year that I know of that a team could potentially get in with a losing record, and people over there a ticked off that a team with a 4-6 record might get in.... As for the traveling argument, who cares about travel... It's the playoffs, it should be special... If the playoffs were harder to get into, I think teams who got in would welcome the travel as part of a special playoff experience
Orange Blaze Wrote:It is really embarrassing to talk to people from other states about our playoff system. I live 5 minutes away from Ohio and I actually work in Ohio. I was talking to some of my coworkers who are from Ohio about it today and they were shocked that it is like that here because the playoff structure in Ohio is so much more competitive and a lot of teams miss the playoffs there. I have no problem with kids playing more games but from a competitive standpoint it lessens the importance of winning during district play. Granted home field advantage is some incentive to win those games but imo teams would have much more on the line if there were 6 teams in each district and only 4 made the playoffs. It was like that when I played football and you best believe we played hard in every one of those games because we wanted to keep playing in November. This many just be me but I feel like making the playoffs should be a reward for having a successful regular season and letting everyone in cheapens it a bit.

I played college ball with guys from Ohio and they said it was extremely tough to make the playoffs. Sometimes even a one loss team didn't make it in. They also said a lot of politics went into it because they went by a Cantrell's rating type system. I guess things could be worse, but I would prefer better.
Bottom line. This 6 Class thing is a total joke. And letting teams with 1or no losses in the playoffs. Go back to 3 or 4 Classes. Then you will see good games in the first round. But no. Let’s just demoralize teams more for one more week. Or like others have said. Top 2 teams advance. Everyone else turns in the equipment.
bo67 Wrote:Bottom line. This 6 Class thing is a total joke. And letting teams with 1or no losses in the playoffs. Go back to 3 or 4 Classes. Then you will see good games in the first round. But no. Let’s just demoralize teams more for one more week. Or like others have said. Top 2 teams advance. Everyone else turns in the equipment.
6 classes are clearly not the problem. I like the 6 class system. Just about every other state has it or more. The problem is two many teams going within each class. 6 classes levels the playing field and leads to more competition. More teams in the playoff class leads to less