Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 55 Caldwell Co. 14 Final
What a blowout. Thought it would be closer. Caldwell not as strong as believed and Mayfied making a season ending statement.
Congrats to Mayfield
Guess all that talk wasn't for much. Mayfield is a great team but from listening to everyone, you would have thought Caldwell would have kept it close. Man I'd love to be on the western side of the 3A bracket
Yeah and Tica is Christian better than Mayfield. Ah....no. A resounding NO. Not even close.
Caldwell's a good team, but, shot themselves in the foot way too often tonight and Mayfield likely played it's best game since the opener against Union City.. I don't see Caldwell getting past ETown or Central or Boyle from the west side of the bracket, but, they should make it to the region finals.. I'd compare them favorably with Lex Catholic, Casey Co and maybe Larue.. Good, solid team capable of pulling an upset but, not a great team that I think could win 4 in a row and get to the championship..
Congratulations Mayfield :Cheerlead I believe you guys will be in Lexington on Kroger field :rockon::rockon::rockon:
Well, amazing what a few weeks and getting healthy will do for people's opinions. After the close loss to Corbin, we didn't say much about how banged up we were but, everyone was writing us off for having a chance to win 2a. We heard a bunch of talk about how little competition we played. Well, we started with UC, who unless they loss tonight only has 2 losses on the year and highly ranked in TN 2a. We blew them out. We blew out a 4a Hopkinsville. Everyone was knocking them but, 5a Christian Co and 3a Caldwell Co both had to come from behind to beat them. Then we got PT, who is #2 seed in their 3a district and blew them out. They almost beat 5a Christian Co tonight. Then we got McCracken Co 6a, #1 seed with a 6-4 record. Then we got 5a Graves Co. They had very near misses against Christian Co and Apollo. Then we had a narrow miss against 3a Corbin. Quiet frankly, I will take that especially seeing how much we had out of that game. Now this game tonight. Hopefully we can quit hearing how weak our schedule was. Good luck if you think you are coming to War Memorial to push the Cards around this year.
Mayfield just played great. Their passing attack was exceptional. Caldwell's fumble at the goal line was the dagger that they never recovered from. Mayfield's speed kills, as they just ran away after catching the football PERIOD.
I was wrong about Christian Co. unless they will claim they had key starters out last night that crippled their offense. CC looks to be the most overrated team in the west. And Mayfield is Mayfield - always ready to play. And Caldwell Co.? They will do what they have done in the past years - lose the week after Tilghman does in the playoffs.
Another game just like most of the others in this series, Caldwell looks like they can't beat anybody and Mayfield looks like world beaters. Just like always, Caldwell freezes like rabbit when they play Mayfield, they are always better than what they show or they wouldn't be 8 and 2. Mayfield fans that watched the game deep down have to be asking themselves how can the Tigers look so bad, well 40 years of getting beat most of the time and the Mayfield mystique, that's how. This years Tiger team is young and and will win a couple of playoff games and that's about it. I noticed a couple of comments from other posters saying they wish they were in the west based on this game, they know nothing of this series or history between the schools. No other team in the west has dominated Caldwell or even come close like that ever, but Mayfield does that to most teams in the west. Caldwell either needs to be competitive with Mayfield or stop playing them because this is not the way to go in to the playoffs, they say they will show you what you need to work on, thing is Caldwell is not learning anything or getting better from the beat down that occurs the last weekend of October every year. Until they play Mayfield better or win some of these games there will be more of the same.
The Mayfield mystique excuse is way overplayed by Caldwell fans. I'll give you that when the game is at Mayfield they don't play well, but 3 of the last 4 games between the 2 have been dogfights when it's at Caldwell prior to last night with Caldwell winning 2 of those. Why would it be in a kids head when they are 8-1 and the last time they played Mayfield at home it was a 1 point game. Why can't Caldwell fans ever give Mayfield credit. If anything is said it's negative. The Times Leader writers always likes to take a shot at Mayfield I've noticed. They had there usual little jab in the paper Wednesday saying the refs allowed Mayfield to win in 2015 by adding time back on the clock. They failed to mention how the homer clock operater purposely let the clock run out after the spike, and ran a few extra seconds off every single play on that last drive trying to cheat Mayfield.
I never took a shot at Mayfield and always give them credit, if you played on either team you would know, I played I know. As for other not giving Mayfield credit I don't know who you are talking about, but it might be some of the cocky fans that always think they are going to win it all and always say they will win this game or that game so easy. As for the 2015 game, Dee Cains touchdown was called back on a phantom call that would have won that game, that's the only problem I had with that game, not adding time back on the clock. The mystique thing is real, you should know with the problems Mayfield had with Danville several years ago, you had to wonder why they couldn't beat Danville, some team just don't match up well against others and when you keep losing knowing you should be able to play with them, it gets in your head.
The clock doesn't stop when the ball is spiked. It stops when the referee waves his hands over his head to stop the clock. Clock started, Mayfield snaps it, Qb kills it, Referee raises arms to stop clock. All that in under two seconds. I doubt it. Caldwell fans are wimps, they had about 50 people there. Mayfield had more fans there.
Well, before I reply, just know that I hope that either PT or Caldwell win out from here until they have a gold ball in their hands. I'm proud of those two and wish them well.

Now, the phantom call, BS. That td was called back because he lined up on the line in the slot and the wideout also lined up on the line. That's called covering him up. That makes him an ineligible reciever and therefore he can't be the first to touch the ball. He was, so it's a penalty.

Secondly, I have watched the video of that game, I would bet more times than anyone. The pass interference call on Anton Lumson on 4th down to keep the drive alive for CC, was no pass interference at all. He hit the WR as soon as the ball hit his hands. If you want to check it, I don't mind showing you.

Third, it should be a penalty every time your pa announcer tells what the qb is doing, tipping off defense, as the qb either hands off or drops back for a pass.

Fourth, the clock was correctly fixed in that game. It didn't run over 2 seconds for the snap and spike.

Lastly, I remember 2012 when we destroyed CC, but they narrowly lost to NCC at state. So maybe your coach has the correct thought with this game. I sure hope the series continues. You don't get better by avoiding competition.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:The clock doesn't stop when the ball is spiked. It stops when the referee waves his hands over his head to stop the clock. Clock started, Mayfield snaps it, Qb kills it, Referee raises arms to stop clock. All that in under two seconds. I doubt it. Caldwell fans are wimps, they had about 50 people there. Mayfield had more fans there.

Seen it in a college game 2 weeks ago done in less than a second.
missthefield Wrote:I never took a shot at Mayfield and always give them credit, if you played on either team you would know, I played I know. As for other not giving Mayfield credit I don't know who you are talking about, but it might be some of the cocky fans that always think they are going to win it all and always say they will win this game or that game so easy. As for the 2015 game, Dee Cains touchdown was called back on a phantom call that would have won that game, that's the only problem I had with that game, not adding time back on the clock. The mystique thing is real, you should know with the problems Mayfield had with Danville several years ago, you had to wonder why they couldn't beat Danville, some team just don't match up well against others and when you keep losing knowing you should be able to play with them, it gets in your head.

Difference is Mayfield was competitive in most of those games.
In the 2015 game on the called back td an offensive lineman also move before the snap. There was more than 1 thing on that play that a penalty could be called for, but they don't see that side of it or kincer Arnett being bearhugged on 1 of Caldwell td.
Geez, it's a regular season game with no signifigance to anything and it was 2 years ago. Let's move on, please.. Myself, I have a lot of respect for Coach Barnes and the Caldwell team.. Through the years, dating back to the 70's, Caldwell has had some very good teams, but, imo, Barnes has them consistently, year after year, putting solid teams on the field.. That's not always been the case.. Props to there little league and middle school programs for maintaining that consistency..
I predicted 55-14. lol.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Geez, it's a regular season game with no signifigance to anything and it was 2 years ago. Let's move on, please.. Myself, I have a lot of respect for Coach Barnes and the Caldwell team.. Through the years, dating back to the 70's, Caldwell has had some very good teams, but, imo, Barnes has them consistently, year after year, putting solid teams on the field.. That's not always been the case.. Props to there little league and middle school programs for maintaining that consistency..

I agree they have fielded some consistently good teams under Barnes. Wonder how much longer he will coach due to his health.
pjdoug Wrote:I predicted 55-14. lol.

Yeah but you was the most wrong since you picked Caldwell by that score. You where only off by 82 points.
👑 Mayfield king if the west
killbilly usmc Wrote:Yeah but you was the most wrong since you picked Caldwell by that score. You where only off by 82 points.

but I picked the exact score Confusednicker:
Here is exactly what I was trying to say:

MHS 48
CCHS 7

That's a 41 point victory for the Cards.
The Tigers went on to narrowly lose to NCC at state.
The Cards beat Fairview convincingly at state.

This year
MHS 55
CCHS 14

That's a 41 point victory for the Cards.

Remainder to be written.
I still think Caldwell, and Tilghman both have a good shot of going far. I thought Elizabethtown was the best team in the 1st 2 districts in any class besides Bowling Green. I'm not to sold on etown at this point. I don't think Caldwell is a bad team at all. I'm sure some out east think they would be a pushover. The only thing we have to compare Caldwell vs anyone in the east is the Mayfield Corbin game. The problem is Caldwell to my knowledge played Mayfield with all hands on deck, plus Mayfield was on fire. The team Friday playing in Princeton was a much different team than what was at Lindsey Wilson. Do I think Caldwell is better than a Corbin, or Belfry, or Boyle no I dont, but the gap between those, and Caldwell may not be as big as most believe just because of Friday's game. I'd pick all 3 of the ones I mentioned over Caldwell, but Caldwell definitely stands a punchers chance against anybody in 3a.
Mayfield had a great defensive game plan. They went with five in the box to take away CC's passing and screen game. Gave up some rushing yards, but that's going to happen when you're essentially in a nickel all night. Offensively, MF's speed was just a bit too much.

CC has a great team. Riley can take it to the house at any time and VanHooser is a one man run stopping machine. I wouldn't put too much on this one game. In fact, I think it could be a positive as it allows CC's excellent coaching staff to make some adjustments before playoffs. I'm rooting for both teams going forward.