Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 26 Russell 14
Final Congratulations to Raceland
Congrats to Rams
I think Raceland had more yards in penalties than Russell's offense had the whole night. I believe that's the first time I have ever heard of that stellar accomplishment from such a GREAT offensive scheme! The refs kept Russell in it (for as in it as they were). Congrats to Raceland. This really could have been a lot for Russell.
When is the last time Russell had a losing season?
I feel terrible for the kids and seniors. I don't care how many injuries this team had 5-5 is a significant underachievement for this group which points solely to coaching, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Russell should have beaten Greenup and Fleming at least and possibly Raceland.

The defense tonight looked passive and docile, which is very concerning since Russell had everyone up in the box playing the run. The offense once again had NO IDENTITY OR CLUE and by this point in the year, points to coaching because most of Russell's significant injuries happened in the beginning of the year meaning this coaching staff has had all year to work on developing an identity with the players they had playing.
I believe somewhere between the years of 1997-1999. One of those years.
Looking back at the Russell season, I would call the Greenup, Ironton, and Fleming losses “bad” losses. Ashland and Raceland are just clearly better. Injuries have played a huge role in the type of season it has been, though. Hopefully Russell brings a spirited effort next week in the playoffs because this Western Hills team is apparently no joke.
As for the Rams, I fully expect them to be playing in Paintsville in 3 weeks. Maybe they can get over the hump against the Tigers this year.
Great win for the Rams, congratulations.
Congrats to the Rams for finishing the regular season on a high note and bringing the Rail Cities Bowl trophy back home. Raceland shot themselves in the foot a lot with penalties and and inability to move the ball on the second half. With the exception of a few big plays defensively we played really good and it was really the defense that won this game. Raceland dominated the line of scrimmage all night and the Russell QB was running for his life the entire game. We still have a lot to work on if we plan to advance in the playoffs but tonight was a good momentum booster after coming off the Paintsville loss.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:I think Raceland had more yards in penalties than Russell's offense had the whole night. I believe that's the first time I have ever heard of that stellar accomplishment from such a GREAT offensive scheme! The refs kept Russell in it (for as in it as they were). Congrats to Raceland. This really could have been a lot for Russell.

I'm not a fan of the scheme either as we run basically the same thing. I don't think the scheme had much to do with Russell's inability to move the ball though. Raceland owned Russell up front and they could not keep our defense out of the backfield. Russell used to have some really big strong guys up front. What happened to that? If I were a coach at Russell, I would make the weightroom the primary focus in the upcoming offseason because they did not look very strong and it is hard to win many games if you are physically weak.
Orange Blaze Wrote:I'm not a fan of the scheme either as we run basically the same thing. I don't think the scheme had much to do with Russell's inability to move the ball though. Raceland owned Russell up front and they could not keep our defense out of the backfield. Russell used to have some really big strong guys up front. What happened to that? If I were a coach at Russell, I would make the weightroom the primary focus in the upcoming offseason because they did not look very strong and it is hard to win many games if you are physically weak.

Orange Man I agree with you. I truly in my heart believe the zone blocking has made Russell soft. The kids are the same stumpy low center of gravity thick legged kids Flatwoods has always produced just the wrong scheme. And to your question I ask the same thing myself! They claim to have this better conditioning and weight lifting system now, but you never see it pay off!
Not when you lose 5 or 6 key players that play both sides of the ball. We basically lost most of our key players on both the Offense and defense. The last 4-5 games we played with 2 Freshman RB's in Conley, Sharpe, Anderson(soph) and Duvall(junior). All 4 Running backs were not starters to start the season. We lost one of the areas biggest playmaker on both offense at WR and DE on the defense in Stump. Stump alone could have made huge plays at WR and especially huge playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. We you lose 2-3 RB's, WR, and 4-5 on the defense it will be a long season for any team. Then you had QB Church that had over 1600 yards in passing last year and made some big plays last year with a Injured Shoulder all summer and didn't play any scrimmages and still isn't 100% healthy with his shoulder and he didn't even play tonight vs. Raceland. You don't think that is huge in a game like tonight vs. Raceland. Just way too many injuries this year and I really believe Coach Maynard has done an outstanding job going 5-5 with the KEY Injuries. With a 100% Healthy team we would have beaten GC, Fleming County, and possibly Raceland at Home tonight. We could have been easily 8-2 or 7-3 if this was a Healthy team. Russell has some outstanding youth coming up and the next 3 or 4 years will be big years for Coach Maynard and Russell.
Congratulations Raceland :Cheerlead
Should have been called the rail citiys flag bowl!
david5164 Wrote:Not when you lose 5 or 6 key players that play both sides of the ball. We basically lost most of our key players on both the Offense and defense. The last 4-5 games we played with 2 Freshman RB's in Conley, Sharpe, Anderson(soph) and Duvall(junior). All 4 Running backs were not starters to start the season. We lost one of the areas biggest playmaker on both offense at WR and DE on the defense in Stump. Stump alone could have made huge plays at WR and especially huge playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. We you lose 2-3 RB's, WR, and 4-5 on the defense it will be a long season for any team. Then you had QB Church that had over 1600 yards in passing last year and made some big plays last year with a Injured Shoulder all summer and didn't play any scrimmages and still isn't 100% healthy with his shoulder and he didn't even play tonight vs. Raceland. You don't think that is huge in a game like tonight vs. Raceland. Just way too many injuries this year and I really believe Coach Maynard has done an outstanding job going 5-5 with the KEY Injuries. With a 100% Healthy team we would have beaten GC, Fleming County, and possibly Raceland at Home tonight. We could have been easily 8-2 or 7-3 if this was a Healthy team. Russell has some outstanding youth coming up and the next 3 or 4 years will be big years for Coach Maynard and Russell.
Church did play. He didnt start the first series for some reason, And he was out toward the end of the game. And I dont remember any freshman getting any carries last night. Conly may have gotten one or two that I missed. Russell has enough playmakers to have won this game and 2-3 of the other ones they lost. THE OL play is the worse ive seen in a long time. I dont know if its the zone blocking, technique, or just lack of effert. Other than the first part of the game the defense played well. the only other ofensive td Raceland had was on a drive that was kept alive on a penalty because Russell couldnt get their punt return team on the field. Just no excuse for this. The special teams coach should be getting his return team together on 3rd down, have them in a group and ready to go in as soon as the play is over. And if youre a player you should be aware of what down it is and get ready. Just no excuse.
I didn’t go to the game...but looking at the stats it looked like Russell was never in this game!! They had five first downs all night and very little offensive yardage at all! I’ve talked to people that was there ....Raceland and Russell people both.... and they say 26-14 was more like 56-14 idk!! It’s funny how some people can get on here and say that Russell should’ve won but others fans from Russell say it was never a game! But like I said I wasn’t there but it seemed to be a good game !
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I didn’t go to the game...but looking at the stats it looked like Russell was never in this game!! They had five first downs all night and very little offensive yardage at all! I’ve talked to people that was there ....Raceland and Russell people both.... and they say 26-14 was more like 56-14 idk!! It’s funny how some people can get on here and say that Russell should’ve won but others fans from Russell say it was never a game! But like I said I wasn’t there but it seemed to be a good game !

Take away two big plays (the 73-yard run & the pick-six on the ill-advised throw) and Russell doesn't score. Quite frankly, the great run by Duvall doesn't become a long TD if the RAMS don't arm tackle.

RAMS' D played well last night.