Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 35 Johnson Central 19
Big turning points in the 2nd q Taveon long TD then the horrible personal foul call with like 50 seconds left just opened the crowd up it was like Vipperman!!! If pond creek nation brings it like that it's tough to win there!!!!!!
AngryMob Wrote:Big turning points in the 2nd q Taveon long TD then the horrible personal foul call with like 50 seconds left just opened the crowd up it was like Vipperman!!! If pond creek nation brings it like that it's tough to win there!!!!!!

The refs were very suspect in that game...it got the fans into the game when we were down 19-0 and the defense got fired up. The game flipped and Belfry gained momentum going into the half 19-7. The Pirates were “Textbook Belfry” and really took the Eagles to school shutting them down.

No disrespect but Johnson Central gave up when Belfry went up 28-19 with 9 minutes to go. I was nervous because as good as JC had looked, I was expecting to march it down the field and score.

JC was the biggest team Belfry had faced since Huntington, those guys are huge! The offensive line was like a fine tuned machine in the first half other than those back to back 3 & outs in the first quarter.

Hats off to JC though, you punched Belfry in the mouth and mad it look easy, but the resiliency of the Pirates made this probably Belfry’s best game of the season other than the Cabell Midland game.

JC, regroup and don’t lose another game! Hope to see you guys in Lexington!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Did JC have all of their players for this one?
I read some starters were suspended
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Did JC have all of their players for this one?

The big name guys were all there... not sure about any suspensions but the guys who usually have their names called were all on the field. MInus the missing kicker who has been hurt of course.
Freshman running back Dillon Preston missed the game because of a death in his family. He is one of JC's fastest backs and has been getting a lot of playing time. Like they say, injuries are part of the game, but the Golden Eagles would have been a much different team had they not lost junior running back Joe Jackson early in the first game of the season. If Jackson makes a full recovery, Johnson Central will return one of the top backfields in the state next season.

Belfry was clearly the better team last night, but I still expect Johnson Central to make a strong run in the playoffs and take another state title back to Paintsville.
These games get you ready for the playoffs. That is the reason these two titans schedule each other every year.
All you Belfry fans, this game remind you of anything? How about the first game of the year? Belfry jumps out to a big lead only to fall off and come up short. Except last night we get down big only to claw our way back and get the hugh win. Alot has changed since the beginning of the year. I've enjoyed watching this team mature and come together. Can't wait to take this trip down playoff road with this team. By the way, I'm not saying Belfry could beat Huntington now because they can't! HHS has gotten better too. They've been destroying everybody with "Trinity like" numbers! All I'm saying is at the beginning we couldn't come together and fight back the way we did last night. This is a team now and extremely dangerous!
belfry was without stud freshman seth mounts

I was told that Matney was going to hold out 4-5 players from last night's game, but not because they were on suspension.
Granny Bear Wrote:I was told that Matney was going to hold out 4-5 players from last night's game, but not because they were on suspension.

I think they were all there I know all the ones we’ve played for years were there but it was a heck of a game
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I think they were all there I know all the ones we’ve played for years were there but it was a heck of a game

Pretty sure everyone that was healthy played, on both sides. I think Matney started pulling players late in the 4th when the game got out of reach.
Based on the radio broadcast pretty much all the main players played for Jc except Dillon Preston (who I definitely think would have helped on both sides of the ball). But JC was subbing a lot more throughout the entire game. Which I think is a smart move to give a lot of kids reps right before the post season. You never know when a starter is going to get injured and then back up has to be ready to play.
Belfry played that 2nd half like the reigning 4 time state champs that they are. The skill position players they have are scary. I don't know how they are going to replace Wellman, Hunter, Adkins, and Varney next year cause that is a ton of talent, experience, and production. But they had to replace a massive amount of talent on the offensive and defensive lines this year too. Just goes to show you that Belfry doesn't rebuild they reload.

Good luck the rest of the way Pirates. A 5 peat is just around the corner.
Mister D Wrote:Belfry played that 2nd half like the reigning 4 time state champs that they are. The skill position players they have are scary. I don't know how they are going to replace Wellman, Hunter, Adkins, and Varney next year cause that is a ton of talent, experience, and production. But they had to replace a massive amount of talent on the offensive and defensive lines this year too. Just goes to show you that Belfry doesn't rebuild they reload.

Good luck the rest of the way Pirates. A 5 peat is just around the corner.

Ben bentley isaac Dixon Kyle webb Deon smith Peyton hensley ....... remember those names lol
It is a fair point to think it impossible to replace the four skill kids Belfry loses. Hensley will be the bell cow next year and he is very talented. Ben Bentley and Dixon seem to be the obvious choices to replace Hunter and Adkins.

I don't expect any of them to match what they replace but they should be solid. (I hope they read this and get pissed off about it too. 😉Wink

Browning returns though - and all 5 O-linemen. It will be a different type of retool but these kids buy in year after year...