Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd County Central
I know this school is just a thought for the future, or actually I don't know what it is now! But I was wondering if Allen Central, Betsy Layne and South Floyd did consolidate to make Floyd Central and it was in effect this year who would be your 1st and 2nd team on that team. jw, mine would be:
Starters
PG: Brenan Case
SG: Ryan Collins
SF: Ethan Johnson
PF: Jarred Newman (34 for BL) I know he don't start for BL, but I think he should. He scored at ease for Betsy Layne in the District-JMO though.
C: Josh Martin

2nd Team
PG: Alex Hammonds
SG: Lyle Johnson
SF: Justin Collins
PF: Josh Prater
C: Trai Whitt
Looks alright to me, but in the next few years its a possibilty that Allen Central and South Floyd actually might be consolidating.
and not Betsy Layne????
I hear SFHS will merge with ACHS after a 4million renovation is done at ACHS. At that time- McDowell and Osborne Elementary Schools will merge and move to SFHS building with SFMS.

BLHS and PHS merger would come after that.
I would put Martin at PF and Newman at Center, just because of height.
15thRegionX Wrote:I would put Martin at PF and Newman at Center, just because of height.

Is Newman at Junior?
Looks pretty good. I would pick Hammonds over Case though.

I look from Prestonsburg to become Independent in the future while the other 3 schools consolidate.
Yeah- I'd expect Pburg to become independent. It might be to late at that point to put BL in with SF/AC. But hey- who knows- the FCBOE Planning Committee - might change this 100 times before it ever becomes reality.
Should create some pretty competitive athletic programs.
gotcha2 Wrote:I hear SFHS will merge with ACHS after a 4million renovation is done at ACHS. At that time- McDowell and Osborne Elementary Schools will merge and move to SFHS building with SFMS.

BLHS and PHS merger would come after that.
Kybob Wrote:Should create some pretty competitive athletic programs.

Further consolidation is a mistake in Floyd County. It's gonna happen though and sooner than most want to believe, myself included. I don't know why folks keep thinking it's better to save money and consolidate than to keep smaller classrooms alive. What do I know?
OnCeABobcat Wrote:I know this school is just a thought for the future, or actually I don't know what it is now! But I was wondering if Allen Central, Betsy Layne and South Floyd did consolidate to make Floyd Central and it was in effect this year who would be your 1st and 2nd team on that team. jw, mine would be:
Starters
PF: Jarred Newman (34 for BL) I know he don't start for BL, but I think he should. He scored at ease for Betsy Layne in the District-JMO though.

2nd Team
Looks Good
jammin' jamey Wrote:Further consolidation is a mistake in Floyd County. It's gonna happen though and sooner than most want to believe, myself included. I don't know why folks keep thinking it's better to save money and consolidate than to keep smaller classrooms alive. What do I know?
Totally agree!
I liked the consolidation that made East Ridge High School. It made much stronger athletic programs that were able to compete with every other school and took us to tournaments that otherwise I would have never gotten to experience. Socially, it was a good move because it brought 3 rivals schools really close together and formed friendships that I will have throughout my lifetime. Academically, it was a mistake. I went from a junior high/high school that tested the highest in the county to one who tested the lowest. The classrooms size wasn't bad but more electives in most subjects were actually offered at my old school which had 4 times less students than ER. All in all I liked the move. Personally, I don't think that consolidation is for everyone though. The Floyd Co. schools all have pretty good programs going for them and good, deep rooted rivals. I think that Prestonsburg would go Independent too if the others consolidated.

thetribe Wrote:I liked the consolidation that made East Ridge High School. It made much stronger athletic programs that were able to compete with every other school and took us to tournaments that otherwise I would have never gotten to experience. Socially, it was a good move because it brought 3 rivals schools really close together and formed friendships that I will have throughout my lifetime. Academically, it was a mistake. I went from a junior high/high school that tested the highest in the county to one who tested the lowest. The classrooms size wasn't bad but more electives in most subjects were actually offered at my old school which had 4 times less students than ER. All in all I liked the move. Personally, I don't think that consolidation is for everyone though. The Floyd Co. schools all have pretty good programs going for them and good, deep rooted rivals. I think that Prestonsburg would go Independent too if the others consolidated.

That's the key, academically it could cost the kids, however I know the argument goes both ways and there are negatives/positives to do or not to do the consolidation thing.

If Prestonsburg went independent, it wouldn't be the first time. Prestonsburg was originally independent way back when if I'm not mistaken. I mean, waaaay back when.
OnCeABobcat Wrote:I know this school is just a thought for the future, or actually I don't know what it is now! But I was wondering if Allen Central, Betsy Layne and South Floyd did consolidate to make Floyd Central and it was in effect this year who would be your 1st and 2nd team on that team. jw, mine would be:
Starters

2nd Team
There is no way Case would start over Hammonds at PG and Jordan Hall from P-burg would have to be in there somewhere he is probably the best shooter in the district IMO.
UnderArmour24 Wrote:There is no way Case would start over Hammonds at PG and Jordan Hall from P-burg would have to be in there somewhere he is probably the best shooter in the district IMO.
Well FIRST of all: That's your opinion, post your lineup and SECOND of all: It's not an all district team. I said Floyd Central hint: AC, BL and SF. (Look at the thread topic!!) Prestonsburg is not one of the schools involved in the consolodation, if one occurs. So before you go criticizing other posts, look and read the other posts please, so you'll have some knowledge about the topic at hand!!
Personally, I don't like the idea of consolidating ANY schools in Floyd County, but I'm afraid it will happen eventually. I graduated from Allen Central last year, and our test scores were the most improved of any high school in the STATE. And yes, I enjoyed attending the heated rivalry games with South Floyd, Betsy Layne, and Prestonsburg. I know the rivaly aspect isn't as important as academics, but what would the 58th District be without the Battle of the Beavers...Right Beaver vs. Left Beaver. It wouldn't be the same. And I'm sure the size of classrooms would increase significantly, which would in turn take away from test scores (since that is all we go to school for anymore) and deprive students from valuable side education they would receive in the classrooms now. Yes, it would form some very competitive athletic programs, and I'm glad to hear some students at East Ridge are satisfied with the change, but I don't think it would be very good for Floyd County in any aspect...Athletically, Academically, Socially, etc.
Excellent post, let's keep it the same for the kids!!!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Personally, I don't like the idea of consolidating ANY schools in Floyd County, but I'm afraid it will happen eventually. I graduated from Allen Central last year, and our test scores were the most improved of any high school in the STATE. And yes, I enjoyed attending the heated rivalry games with South Floyd, Betsy Layne, and Prestonsburg. I know the rivaly aspect isn't as important as academics, but what would the 58th District be without the Battle of the Beavers...Right Beaver vs. Left Beaver. It wouldn't be the same. And I'm sure the size of classrooms would increase significantly, which would in turn take away from test scores (since that is all we go to school for anymore) and deprive students from valuable side education they would receive in the classrooms now. Yes, it would form some very competitive athletic programs, and I'm glad to hear some students at East Ridge are satisfied with the change, but I don't think it would be very good for Floyd County in any aspect...Athletically, Academically, Socially, etc.