Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro @ South Laurel 9-22
Jackets have won 2 in a row. Is it enough to get them to the next rung of the ladder at South Laurel? Many said this is a win. South 2-2 coming off bye week. Your thoughts and predictions.
I would feel better if this weren't a road game, but either way, just too big a reach for this year's Jackets:

SLHS - 35
MHS - 13
South Laurel wins this one
Middlesboro 21-20
is south 4 or 5 A?
5A. And South is a little better than you think. I'll take them 42-14.
Tri-State Fan Wrote:is south 4 or 5 A?

5A

South Laurel 35
Middlesboro 13

TongueirateSho
I do have a question. With the facilities, the kids to draw from, and the other sports successes, why hasn't football took off?
South by 14.
South Laurel 45-Middlesboro 13
My prediction depends on the health and availability of Williams and Jackson. I will reserve my score prediction until later in the week.
Middlesboro needs a good showing going into district play. They have some positive momentum going right now.
Mike Carroll, 5 TDs (first half) and 290 yards rushing last week. Much tougher opponent Friday, hope Carroll and Harrison keep the wheels turning, both can go fast. Don't know a thing about South but know that they dress a lot of kids.... Hope Middlesboro can carry the momentum they have and go battle South's tales Friday night. Good luck Jackets and fingers crossed for Jackson's return, when he gets back this offense will really move.
Tri State Area Wrote:I do have a question. With the facilities, the kids to draw from, and the other sports successes, why hasn't football took off?

In Laurel county's case, it's because there is no youth league at all in the county. It's hard to get a kid interested in something, or halfway good at, if they can't start until the 6th grade. Only time the adults in charge care about the youth in Laurel county, is when their kids are involved.
I don't know a thing about South. What I do know tri-state is.......if this offense is going to really get going then they better do it this week. After this week we're not going to be going anywhere sir. Just guess I'm giving us about a 30% chance to win this week and about a 0% chance the rest of the way. Let's not put too much Into putting a beat down on Pineville. This week should be a little more telling but unfortunately after this it's not gonna matter who's healthy and who's not. Not knowing who's gonna play and who's not I'll say South 40-21.
This is about the time of year every year that South start to realize they aren't good and gives up on the rest of the season.
Ill say Mboro keeps it close for a half before South wins by a few TD's

South 34
Mboro 14
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:In Laurel county's case, it's because there is no youth league at all in the county. It's hard to get a kid interested in something, or halfway good at, if they can't start until the 6th grade. Only time the adults in charge care about the youth in Laurel county, is when their kids are involved.

That is not right, we were at North Laurel Middle School watching a 3rd & 4th grade football game just Saturday. One of the guys we work with has a kid that plays in Leslie County and we went up to watch him play North Laurel. They told us that former LC football players were coaching the North Laurel teams. The North Laurel teams won both games by a lot.
Maybe Middlesboro can get lucky and Massengil take williams with him as he exits stage left.
MHS 7
SLHS 43
Cards get the win at Gilliam Field.
Things will begin to turn around at Middlesboro. Today has been a great day. Middlesboro Superintendent has resigned. It will take awhile for someone to dig this out of the hole, but step one is in place.
NextGeneration Wrote:Things will begin to turn around at Middlesboro. Today has been a great day. Middlesboro Superintendent has resigned. It will take awhile for someone to dig this out of the hole, but step one is in place.

One step at a time! This is a step in the right direction!
Maybe Middlesboro can return to the glories of the past now that the head of the snake has been cut off
Curious, who would apply for this job right now that is currently in a good situation themselves? If we're being honest, Middlesboro can't pull a coach like they once could and on top of that, many of the assistants are friends of Massengill and may not return to coach when he is gone. That would put the next coach in a very difficult situation right off the bat.

One would guess that it would have to be a young coach but knowing the specific discipline problems that many of the Middlesboro kids have, it would be a very difficult situation for a young coach. Many people forget that Middlesboro has a disproportionately large number of kids that come from housing projects and poverty stricken homes. All of these things would make this a difficult job for an incoming coach. And then how many years would all of you crying for Massengill to be fired give the new coach?
The super resigned not the coach. I do look for him to leave as well, or be let go. Who would want the assistants that are there now? Need to get rid of them all. We have more jobs at the end of each year than anyone in the state thanks to Martin. We can hire an entire staff any year. Start over!
If the head coaches job opens, you never know who might take it. Hc jobs are attractive no matter the location or situation. There's young coaches who want to have their own program and veteran coaches who want a start somewhere else, and everything in between.
NextGeneration Wrote:The super resigned not the coach. I do look for him to leave as well, or be let go. Who would want the assistants that are there now? Need to get rid of them all. We have more jobs at the end of each year than anyone in the state thanks to Martin. We can hire an entire staff any year. Start over!

You are aware middlesboro has a ton of money right now? Academically their scores are up from where they were, (still not very good though) so what exactly is the hole we need to be dug out of? Martin doesn't hire teacher, school principals and site base do, however, since being in the superintendent office Martin budgeted well enough to give the entire district 2 raises, they received 3 but one was statewide. All that being said, with the exception of the football program, what exactly at MIS is in a hole?
NextGeneration Wrote:The super resigned not the coach. I do look for him to leave as well, or be let go. Who would want the assistants that are there now? Need to get rid of them all. We have more jobs at the end of each year than anyone in the state thanks to Martin. We can hire an entire staff any year. Start over!

I'm saying it is difficult to field a staff in a school system full of guys that aren't interested. Look no further than Bell County last year. Impossible to hire 5 assistants in one year. Even if it was, I know Bennett gives no preference at all to coaches applying for teaching jobs at high school (outside of head coach).
South Laurel
South Laurel - 41

Middlesboro - 18
RicFlair Wrote:You are aware middlesboro has a ton of money right now? Academically their scores are up from where they were, (still not very good though) so what exactly is the hole we need to be dug out of? Martin doesn't hire teacher, school principals and site base do, however, since being in the superintendent office Martin budgeted well enough to give the entire district 2 raises, they received 3 but one was statewide. All that being said, with the exception of the football program, what exactly at MIS is in a hole?

Scores are down actually, Martin hires period. Bennett is on cloud nine this morning. You need to get out of the hole if you think that every worker in that system isn't smiling this morning. This system was being run down with everything else. People leaving in groves, good teachers because of Martin. He was the type dictator that caused good teachers to change profession. Why don't you leave with him.