Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
58th District final: Allen Central 74- Betsy Layne 64
This was a better game than I would have imagined. BL led most of the game, lost their momentum late with AC's press. BL was dominant in the paint with their big guys, did not get many touches late because of turnovers. AC kept their poise and made big plays down the stretch, very impressed with the Martin kid from AC, deadly from the 10-18 feet range, was most of AC's offense the first 3 quarters.
Way to hang in there AC. BL came out very strong in this game. The Rebels never gave up and kept pushing though. Got a little worried when AC's Josh Martin picked up his 3rd foul about half way through the 2nd quarter though. AC played hard in the second half and built a slight lead. AC could have put the game much earlier had they hit their free throws.

Congrats on the District Championship Rebels. Keep working hard guys and get ready for the Regional Tournament.

Congrats to Ethan Johson and Ryan Collins- who rec'd disctrict player of the year honors tonight.
This was an exciting game. Betsy Layne came out hot, and jumped to an early lead. Allen Central kept it close and it was back and forth the whole first half. Betsy Layne jumped out yet again to start the second half, and got up by as many as 14 I believe. AC pulled it within 3 and went on a 15-0 run, or something close to that. Congrats, Rebels, and Johnny Martin!
gotcha2 Wrote:Way to hang in there AC. BL came out very strong in this game. The Rebels never gave up and kept pushing though. Got a little worried when AC's Josh Martin picked up his 3rd foul about half way through the 2nd quarter though. AC played hard in the second half and built a slight lead. AC could have put the game much earlier had they hit their free throws.

Congrats on the District Championship Rebels. Keep working hard guys and get ready for the Regional Tournament.

Congrats to Ethan Johson and Ryan Collins- who rec'd disctrict player of the year honors tonight.
Did they recieve CO-POY honors?? Anyway I agree they were obviously the best two players in this district.
Congrats to Johnny Martin and the Runnin' Rebs. Fly the Flag high. Wish my Blackcats could have played in the finals, but just was not meant to be.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:Congrats to Johnny Martin and the Runnin' Rebs. Fly the Flag high. Wish my Blackcats could have played in the finals, but just was not meant to be.
You & me both!! lol. But I'm glad Allen Central won. =) Congrats Allen Central. (AC/DC)
Congrats AC!
Congrats to AC....didn't know which way to go with friends and family on both sides. Congrats to Ethan and Ryan on POY.
You know what, the big Newman boy could very well be the best kept secret in the mountains right now. 6'8 with some moves inside, he will be a tough matchup for alot of the teams in the regional next week. I personally think if he works on his conditioning and has the right people working with him he could make a solid College player, Remember this is only his 1st year of organized basketball, could you imagine how good he COULD be, given the right situation?? Seriously.
Congrats to Allen Central on the W!
Congrats Allen Central and Congrats to Johnny Martin. AC, You really deserved this. If I'm not mistaken isn't this the first time AC has won a district title in the last 5 or 6 years, if not longer? I know you all will make the 58th proud at region.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:This was an exciting game. Betsy Layne came out hot, and jumped to an early lead. Allen Central kept it close and it was back and forth the whole first half. Betsy Layne jumped out yet again to start the second half, and got up by as many as 14 I believe. AC pulled it within 3 and went on a 15-0 run, or something close to that. Congrats, Rebels, and Johnny Martin!

Good post. BL went from up 5 to down 10 and what I couldn't believe was no BL timeouts to try and stop the run until they were down 10. R. Collins struggled early but was the leader in that run to tak the lead and put the game away. Martin kept them in the game early and played well inside against a much bigger BL team. Congrats and good luck to both teams at the Expo.

Congrats to Ryan and Ethan on Co-MVPs. Think this might be the 1st time have Co-MVPs since Henry Webb & Dicky Joe Shannon in 1988 when both played for McDowell (not 100% sure).
Moe Wrote:You know what, the big Newman boy could very well be the best kept secret in the mountains right now. 6'8 with some moves inside, he will be a tough matchup for alot of the teams in the regional next week. I personally think if he works on his conditioning and has the right people working with him he could make a solid College player, Remember this is only his 1st year of organized basketball, could you imagine how good he COULD be, given the right situation?? Seriously.

Yea I would agree. Newman improve in great strides throughout the year and has turned into a quality big man. Not only is he 6'8 but has the weight and aggressiveness to boot.
I can promise you that if he does play football, he will be in condition and it will make him much better in basketball.
Moe Wrote:You know what, the big Newman boy could very well be the best kept secret in the mountains right now. 6'8 with some moves inside, he will be a tough matchup for alot of the teams in the regional next week. I personally think if he works on his conditioning and has the right people working with him he could make a solid College player, Remember this is only his 1st year of organized basketball, could you imagine how good he COULD be, given the right situation?? Seriously.
Congrats AC
Congrats A.C.!!!!!
Congrats AC.
Congrats to AC on a good season and District Championship.
Congrats AC!! They had an outstanding game. Had a rocky start but they fninshed out great. And much kudos to Betsy Layne for playing an excellent game as well, they played their hearts out just like AC did. Congrats to both teams and AC. AC/DC!
Congrats AC
catsfan072 Wrote:Congrats Allen Central and Congrats to Johnny Martin. AC, You really deserved this. If I'm not mistaken isn't this the first time AC has won a district title in the last 5 or 6 years, if not longer? I know you all will make the 58th proud at region.

First one since 1999. Well deserved may I add.
Congrats AC