Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield at Union City Tn Aug.18th
Who wins this game and why?
This will be a stern test for both squads to kick off the season.. Both teams have extremely high expectations for the year and both will challenge for a state title in there respective states.. While a loss won't really impact those expectations in the big picture, a win sure would boost the confidence, swagger and reputation for the rest of the season.. The Golden Tornado return 19 starters from an 11-2 team, with both of last years losses coming at the hands of the 2a champs.. The Cards lost more from last years 1 loss semi final team, but, still return a solid group, especially in the trenches and WR spots.. Should be a classic battle that'll be well worth keeping an eye on..
Regardless of the outcome, this game will be good for both squads to see where they need to improve as the season wears on..
I'll have to go with Mayfield in this one
Mayfield by 12.
It's not going to be a easy game but I feel we will win by 10
Kick Tennessee :moon: :moon: :moon: Mayfield

Mayfield 35
Union TN 21
Mayfield 28-7
1301 High School Dr., Union City. That will put you at the front gate.
Mayfield 31-20
I don't think that old school Wing T will fair very well against the young Cards. I watched the UC scrimmage. I see our wr's getting behind their d a lot. That will kill them. They are not a catch up team.

MHS 42
UC 17
Key for MF is stopping the UC fullback. UC QB and RB aren't nearly as dangerous as the FB in my opinion. Take away the FB and MF wins big. Otherwise, the MF offense will spend a long night watching from the sideline.
I think Mayfield will have their hands full stopping UC offense. I think it could go either way. If either team gets down by a couple scores its over. Not selling Mayfield short they more times than not answer the bell, and find a way. We seen how they took it to a great fairview team, but I think they will need to knock the ball loose a few times, and recover it like in that game. Any time UC gets a penalty, and backed up 5 yards Mayfield has to take advantage, and get them off the field. Same thing If they get a sack or tackle for loss. If UC doesn't fumble or get a penalty on a drive I'm not sure if they can stop them. UC is more than happy to plow you with their fullback 3yards a pop all day long. 4 times straight if necessary for a 1st down. On the other hand I'm not sure UC can stop Mayfield much either. For the outsiders that are not in the know here are some numbers. I did these from 2013 till present, the reason being since then UC has been pretty dominant. Mayfield has been on a run since 09, and UC did have a title in 09, but some bad years after that. UC is 49-4 with 2 state titles since 2013. Mayfield is 55-4 with 3 titles since 2013. Definitly going to try to be there for this game. Don't know if they wilI or not but know Mayfield always runs on the field with the 3 American flags, and a Mayfield flag, I For one would love it if they had our state flag as well for this game when they run out.
Killbilly, you are sounding like Mayfield Cardinal. Have faith. You know we will hit that fb about the time that he gets the ball in his hands. He will be lucky to fall forward for a yard. I'm gonna go out on a limb her and say the fb don't get over 80 yards. I also see that pitch to the hb getting snatched and returned for a td before the night is over.
Its not a lack of faith, I do think some get to caught up in the thinking that since Mayfield is 22-4-1 against them then no problem. UC deserves respect. This ain't the UC of old they are the real deal. Since their current coach has been there they have been on a run that is pretty impressive. I won't knock the flexbone they run, because it works for them, and they run it well. But like with any eat the clock offense the downfall is if you get behind 2 scores in the 2nd half it works against you. I do know Dresden took it to them real hard twice last year, but I'm not sure how this Mayfield team compares to that team never seen Dresden besides what little was on gridiron glory. I've got faith, no matter what you say I still think Mayfield has a descent chance of going unbeaten, only time will tell, and we don't know enough this early, but you seem to think Corbin will beat Mayfield this year from some of your comments I've seen. I'm not convinced.
I don't think this is your unbeaten version of MHS. But, we are certainly much better than Friday's opponent. I do think Corbin is the toughest challenge on the schedule this year. I originally had us at 13-2 but, I am thinking more along the lines of the usual 14-1 with a gold ball year. I promise you that UC is not going to hang with us Friday.
I think Corbin lost quite a bit on defense. I see Mayfield scoring quite a bit in that game.
I'd say this Union City, game and Corbin game are the 2 I'm really looking forward to. Maybe even the PT game curious to see how they are under duncan, of course mccracken because thats always a great game. The Hopkinsville game I was super excited about, but after Johnson transfering, and cager opting to not play its lost a lot of its luster. Caldwell losing burns also has taken some of the excitement out of that game, but its at Caldwell and they play Mayfield tough at home, so could still be a good game. Hate seeing some of these good opponents having players transfer out, or deciding not to play.
Corbin didn't lose much of anything. Just ask 64. I get updates all the time from him. Sounds like they have a huge weapon going both ways this year, that only played offense last year. I think them boys are so complete in what they return that they are still wearing the shoes they had on the last time we played them.
I hope Mayfield wins.
Should I even go to this. I've been to 4 games this week, and all 4 where bloodbaths. The 2 middle school games tonight where even worse than the 2 Tuesday. I was hoping Mayfield would stomp a mudhole in Union City, but after all these 1 sided games I may have to hope for a good one since this may be my only chance at seeing a competitive game out of the 6 I'll see this week. 55 has assured me Tilghman will blow out Mccracken so this is my only chance, unless 55 is wrong. Maybe I should skip the Tilghman game, and go to the Truck, and Tractor pull Saturday night.
Kracken Wrote:Key for MF is stopping the UC fullback. UC QB and RB aren't nearly as dangerous as the FB in my opinion. Take away the FB and MF wins big. Otherwise, the MF offense will spend a long night watching from the sideline.

Union City better have a good mix of pass and run or they have no shot .
killbilly usmc Wrote:I think Corbin lost quite a bit on defense. I see Mayfield scoring quite a bit in that game.

They probably didn't lose as much as you think .
UC threw a total of 14 passes last year. 6 for touchdowns. That is truly one deminsional. I can't remember a one deminsional team that beat Mayfield.
I don't know the Belfry pirates have won a bunch of consecutive titles being one dimensional. I'm not exaggerating when I say that my team threw the ball more times in one game then Belfry did the whole season last year. You can do that when you have a huge powerful offensive line and good backs and impeccable blocking. The Belfry system churns out big talented line players every year. Last season Belfry had the biggest O line on I've seen on a high school team.
Mayfield up 21-0 at half, and will receive to start the 2nd half.
Mayfield 28-0 start of 4th.
35-0 8 minutes to go very suprising its not closer.
41-0
Watch out for speed traps when leaving town. Union City will want some payback and they love their speed traps. Might change the speed limit signs while you all are at the game. Congrats to Mayfield!