Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do 14th Region Officials Lack Conditioning?
Is it me...or do 14th region officials a bit lacking
in physical fitness? Big bellies seem the rule...and
improper positioning results....
lol that is a good question... seems like you should be in some kind of physical shape to ref....
This thread is being watched...closely.
When I was in school they only used two refs and to be honest I believe the officiating was much more consistent. I haven't been very impressed with the officiating in the 14th this year but I don't think it has anything to do with conditioning.
I'm not so sure...fatigue makes cowards of us all
as the saying goes. I think that when officials get
tired, their "turnovers" and "missed free throws" are
failing to blow the whistle and not being in position to
make calls...a tired body impacts the mind and
judgment...
thecavemaster Wrote:I'm not so sure...fatigue makes cowards of us all
as the saying goes. I think that when officials get
tired, their "turnovers" and "missed free throws" are
failing to blow the whistle and not being in position to
make calls...a tired body impacts the mind and
judgment...
This is a very weak argument , IMO.
Well I honestly don't know very much about refs, but I have seen good ones and bad ones. I know that it is a lot simpler to ref a game from the stands than on that floor. It is a tough job, regardless of physical aspects. I have a family member who trained to be a ref and reffed one game before saying he would never do it again, and I swear that guy is fearless. He said he doesnt understand how they do it. I mean you have to see everything while being on the same level as the players. I applaud refs for their effort. I do think, however, that there are a few of them that have seemed maybe bias or prejudice during games or some even like they lack training or seem to get confused about calls or maybe unsure. I mean it is only human to have your favorites and I know it would be really difficult to not unconsciously make calls because it favored the team you liked. You have to be a very strong and well aware person to be able to ref. Plus to take all of the crap from the crowds. Can you imagine getting cussed at several times a week and not being able to say anything about it? I mean most of us as people are the type to automatically get defensive if people talk trash to us. I feel bad for the refs with a bad name or that make a bad call, and have an entire fan crowd screaming at them. Like I said I just have to say I applaud those who are strong enough to ref high school basketball!!!
Good post Bball.

Refs should be in decent condition because they do have to be able to run up and down the court with the pace of the players but if they can do it with their "big bellies" then that works too. If they tire easily or start feeling bad because their size isn't easy to carry up and down the court then they probably shouldn't it but as long as they are able then I see nothing wrong with them calling games.

This makes no sense at all....I mean if they get the job done who cares what size they are.....Ive seen some players with bellies too...and it does take a special kind of person to ref...so until you have tried it dont dog them...they are only human and have feelings too...Belly or no Belly!!!!!:relaxing:
LOL, very true gettheball!! This made me laugh!!
If your argument is that fatigue does not impact officials,
and that being in poor physical condition does not
hasten fatigue, I cannot agree. How does that make no sense?
Apparently, the "southern" tradition of being "nice" trumps
basic facts. No wonder Uncle Bob keeps having heart
attacks and strokes and has to take forty medications
a day...nobody will tell him that Big Macs and Doritos
"ain't" all that good for you....
gettheball Wrote:This makes no sense at all....I mean if they get the job done who cares what size they are.....Ive seen some players with bellies too...and it does take a special kind of person to ref...so until you have tried it dont dog them...they are only human and have feelings too...Belly or no Belly!!!!!:relaxing:

I did referee in an adjacent state for several years...high
school basketball. It is a difficult job...but officials get
training and have manuals...one official is not responsible
for the whole floor when a crew is working properly. Any
official is going to "blow" a few calls...what I am saying
is that an official who consistently gets in proper position,
who knows his coverage area, and who thoroughly knows
the rules and ins and outs of the game will minimize the
number of calls missed, the number of times he or she
is out of position. AND, to argue that poor physical
conditioning has little or no bearing on these factors
seems, to me, illogical.
thecavemaster Wrote:Is it me...or do 14th region officials a bit lacking
in physical fitness? Big bellies seem the rule...and
improper positioning results....

IMO, I believe you could pretty well say this for all regions... not just the 14th.
I know in the 15th, due to poor positioning on the floor by refs... they are left looking at each other wondering what call to make because they didn't see the play well enough to make the correct call.
some of the refs act like they are scared to death of some of the coaches. my friend said at the game between lcc and kcc that justice got right up in steve thomas' face and a t should have been called but wasn't. and yeah, there are a couple of refs that need to stay out of the hospitality rooms.
speedy Wrote:there are a couple of refs that need to stay out of the hospitality rooms.
So should some of the fansSmile
Of course, the fans are not receiving payment for officiating.
And, if the fans are in the hospitality room, chances are
they didn't pay to get in the game. If I am correct,
officials make around $30.00 per hour when you calculate
it. I think for that fee, fans should be allowed to expect
competence, if not excellence. I realize that it is no
easy task to find enough officials to cover all the various
games, and that officiating is no easy task; however,
when one signs up to officiate, one probably knows
or should know the difficulties of the job. Fans have
a right to expect competence and to voice objective
displeasure when that is not shown.
I watched Tim Cornett referee a girls varsity game by himself last week @ JBS on that college floor and did better than most 3 man crews. Yeah some look out of shape, but what is really the reason is Politics in the 14th and the other mountain regions as well.You never get to see other referees then the same 12 call most of the games.
IMO any organization reflects the type of leadership they have. If you have a weak boss then you cant jump on your employees if you are not handling youself in the right way and doing your job. IMO the 14th region officials lack leadership from the top and that filters its way down. I think their are good officials in the 14th but in officials from a coaches standpoint I think they have to uphold to certain standards. It is not comforting to hear about the officials that just called your game in Applebees dunk or in UBET betting on everything that moves. That makes you wonder about their integrity or honestly toward High school kids and your job depends on how you kids perform and how honest the officials are. I have received all of my officials assignemnts this year through the JV Assignor. What is the Assignor doing laying this off on him. We as coaches should be able to talk to the man in charge. If he is not willing to do the job then he needs to step aside for the better of the region. I think it would be different if the JV guy had an integrity at all but i am not mentioning names but he is not a role model citizen and if anybody has meet him you would now this to be true. I feel the biggest problem with the Officials in the 14th is there lack of leadership.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:So should some of the fansSmile

i don't know any fans who go to the hospitality room, i thought it was only for the teams,coaches, refs....etc. shoot, from now on i'll just save my money and go to the hospitality room. its probably better than the concession stands.
UKBLUE Wrote:IMO any organization reflects the type of leadership they have. If you have a weak boss then you cant jump on your employees if you are not handling youself in the right way and doing your job. IMO the 14th region officials lack leadership from the top and that filters its way down. I think their are good officials in the 14th but in officials from a coaches standpoint I think they have to uphold to certain standards. It is not comforting to hear about the officials that just called your game in Applebees dunk or in UBET betting on everything that moves. That makes you wonder about their integrity or honestly toward High school kids and your job depends on how you kids perform and how honest the officials are. I have received all of my officials assignemnts this year through the JV Assignor. What is the Assignor doing laying this off on him. We as coaches should be able to talk to the man in charge. If he is not willing to do the job then he needs to step aside for the better of the region. I think it would be different if the JV guy had an integrity at all but i am not mentioning names but he is not a role model citizen and if anybody has meet him you would now this to be true. I feel the biggest problem with the Officials in the 14th is there lack of leadership.

You know, speaking of adminstrative type things, sometimes I wonder
what the role of the KHSAA really is...with the increased pressure to win, to compete, to "get an edge," I think lots of rules get, to say the least, bent...and I don't think that the student athletes' best interests are always served, to say nothing of the transferring and recruiting that goes on. It seems like the KHSAA often looks for minor infractions to flex their muscle...but they don't touch the deeper issues in high school athletics in Kentucky. Any comments?
I feel you are exactly right CAVEMASTER. What is the true purpose of KHSAA. I thought they were suppose to be the Police of High School Athletics. Somewhere along the lines they are going to have to step in to the corruption of the basketball politics within the 13-16 regions in Eastern Ky instead of letting those in charge make up the rules as they go. IMO they put blinders on to what is really going on. Wonder how many banners that hang in the Gyms of Eastern Ky that really should be the Color green due to the money that was spend to buy them from officials. In the backyard of the 14th association, here is a quick question to get peoples thoughts on. WHO IS RUNNING THE ORGANIZATION AND WHAT POSITIVE ATTIBUTES TO THEY BRING IN ORDER TO INPROVE THE OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION?