Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notre Dame students plan protest against commencement speaker Pence
I suppose they would prefer a baby killer or someone opposed to the teachings of the Catholic church.
I am not Catholic, they seem to have some out of this world beliefs.
Any organization that covers up the molesting of young boys are destine, for the worse kind of hell.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I am not Catholic, they seem to have some out of this world beliefs.
Any organization that covers up the molesting of young boys are destine, for the worse kind of hell.
You paint with a broad brush, NCF. If there is a special place in hell for those who cover up molestation of young boys, do you also believe that there is another special place there for those who butcher unborn boys and girls and defend those who engage in the butchery?
You talking about abortion?

I am against that.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:You talking about abortion?

I am against that.
You hate Catholicism and oppose abortion, yet you repeat the moronic rants of Nancy Pelosi against Donald Trump. Pelosi is a staunch supporter of abortion, despite being a member of the Catholic Church, which strongly opposes the murder of unborn children. I find those positions very interesting.
⬆ Which is more essentially American: respect for authority, or the right to protest that authority?

Do we really want to make a huge issue out of a handful of graduates walking out on the Vice President's speech, be he or she Republican or Democrat?
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:Which is more essentially American: respect for authority, or the right to protest that authority?

Do we really want to make a huge issue out of a handful of graduates walking out on the Vice President's speech, be he or she Republican or Democrat?
Just because one has the right to behave stupidly and disrespectfully, does not mean one should exercise that right.
It wasn't a political issue that sparked that walk out. The ones who were upset with Pence were mad because of his religious views within the Catholic church. They were particularly against his views on the LBGTQ community.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Just because one has the right to behave stupidly and disrespectfully, does not mean one should exercise that right.

"Stupidly" and "disrespectfully" are in the eye of the beholder: thus, the Constitution protects one "smart" and "respectful" group from another "stupid" and "disrespectful" one, and vice versa, as the case may be.
Granny Bear Wrote:It wasn't a political issue that sparked that walk out. The ones who were upset with Pence were mad because of his religious views within the Catholic church. They were particularly against his views on the LBGTQ community.

My only point is that the right to political protest is more vital to freedom than a respect for authority that that precludes acts of civil, peaceful protest. Most politicians understand the need for a thick skin.
The Urban Sombrero;2057498[B Wrote:]"Stupidly" and "disrespectfully" are in the eye of the beholder:[/B] thus, the Constitution protects one "smart" and "respectful" group from another "stupid" and "disrespectful" one, and vice versa, as the case may be.

This is where you are totally out to lunch. Libs being forever lost in relativity, (The Lord refers to that as having a mouth full of guile) cannot understand that there actually is a right and a wrong in most matters of human behavior. If one stretches the meanings recorded in the Constitution far enough, he can justify nearly anything. Bottom line, morality and good sense are not that often subjective. Ever heard of subjective relativism? Cause you swim in it.

- 'Subjective relativism' - is the view that an action is morally right if one approves of it. A person’s approval makes the action right. This doctrine (as well as cultural relativism) is in stark contrast to moral objectivism, the view that some moral principles are valid for everyone.

The Vice President of the United States deserves respect. He came to Notre Dame to deliver the commencement address and how was he met? Professional special interest groups helped see to it that he got the back of liberal hands for his effort. Make no mistake, this was organized.
EXCERPT---
"More than 150 students, family and faculty walked out of Notre Dame's commencement Sunday when Vice President Mike Pence began his speech at the ceremony.

As soon as the Vice President - a former Indiana governor - began giving his speech at the 175th commencement ceremony, students rose from their seats and filed out of the stadium.

As they walked out, protesters from We Go High!, the Reproductive Justice Coalition and Planned Parenthood along with other groups rallied from 10am until noon at the corner of Angela Blvd and Notre Dame Avenue."
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z4hltNDtXZ

Good sense is something sadly missing from the left, and in this day in time from the campus. In legal parlance there exists the term "reasonable doubt." Back when the law was written the word 'reasonable,' was a generally shared state of acceptable lucidity. As was so aptly demonstrated by the Sombrero, nobody can really say there is any consensus as to what reasonable means in our day. I know if the last election is any indicator, it is whatever the left says it is for that particular day. One minute they hate James Comey and the next, his hill is the one they are quite prepared to die on. One minute they cannot kiss up to Russia enough, and he next they alienate them for the forseeable future without so much as a shrug.

Your words, "My only point is that the right to political protest is more vital to freedom than a respect for authority that that precludes acts of civil, peaceful protest."

When you post this monkey puke I keep wanting to say this is the most ridiculous thing you've ever said but, you just keep capping yourself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
⬆ A group of Notre Dame graduates, and apparently their family members, get up and leave the address of the Vice-President. Was this an act of political protest? Yes, it was. Is this America? Yes, it is. From this, basically, simple act, performed by a small minority, you extrapolate apocalypse.

Since when did constitutional principle, and a foundational one, become "subjective relativism?" I tell you this, friendo, if freedom of political protest is, in your view, a matter up for discussion, you aren't just a harmless gnat on BGR: you're actually a threat to freedom.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:"Stupidly" and "disrespectfully" are in the eye of the beholder: thus, the Constitution protects one "smart" and "respectful" group from another "stupid" and "disrespectful" one, and vice versa, as the case may be.
Hypocrite. Nobody has questioned anybody's constitutional right in this case. Nobody builds weaker straw man arguments than you.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Hypocrite. Nobody has questioned anybody's constitutional right in this case. Nobody builds weaker straw man arguments than you.

"They have the right," he says, "but they ought not to exercise the right." Can you provide the conditions under which that right might smartly be exercised, or, and I assert this again, was the "eye of the beholder" premise right on point. And, the key word was "if": if the assertion was that respect for authority is more vital than the right to protest. You say not. That's not straw, friendo. That's you clarifying a condemnation of political protesters.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:"They have the right," he says, "but they ought not to exercise the right." Can you provide the conditions under which that right might smartly be exercised, or, and I assert this again, was the "eye of the beholder" premise right on point. And, the key word was "if": if the assertion was that respect for authority is more vital than the right to protest. You say not. That's not straw, friendo. That's you clarifying a condemnation of political protesters.
Exercising one's right of free speech by disrupting another American's effort to exercise his right to free speech is behaving stupidly. Defending stupid behavior is your constitutional right, but doing so makes you look stupid.

Exercising one's First Amendment rights offers no protection from the consequences of exercising that right. Libel and slander are not violations of the First Amendment, but they are actionable by the aggrieved party.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Exercising one's right of free speech by disrupting another American's effort to exercise his right to free speech is behaving stupidly. Defending stupid behavior is your constitutional right, but doing so makes you look stupid.

Exercising one's First Amendment rights offers no protection from the consequences of exercising that right. Libel and slander are not violations of the First Amendment, but they are actionable by the aggrieved party.

As long as you are not elevating respect for authority to a level which would preclude exercise of a Constitutional right to protest, so be it. While the walk out was a distraction, I do not see that it interfered with the Vice President's speech. They had a point to make. They made it. Nobody got hurt. Move on. If the Conservative Student Union walked out on President Obama, I would feel the very same as I do about VP Pence. Just another day in America.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:As long as you are not elevating respect for authority to a level which would preclude exercise of a Constitutional right to protest, so be it. While the walk out was a distraction, I do not see that it interfered with the Vice President's speech. They had a point to make. They made it. Nobody got hurt. Move on. If the Conservative Student Union walked out on President Obama, I would feel the very same as I do about VP Pence. Just another day of in America in moral freefall.

There, I fixed that last sentence for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1. Be respectful, listen, especially if someone has differing views than you (you might learn something)
2. Why go if you are truly outraged. If I am bother by such a thing why would I subject my self to it?

Those who were disrespectful and walked out showed the type of person they truly are.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I am not Catholic, they seem to have some out of this world beliefs.

Is that the same hell as what perverts should be sent to as well?

That subject Ring a bell to you? Why sure it does!!
nky Wrote:1. Be respectful, listen, especially if someone has differing views than you (you might learn something)
2. Why go if you are truly outraged. If I am bother by such a thing why would I subject my self to it?

Those who were disrespectful and walked out showed the type of person they truly are.

An act of political protest renders #2 above a non sequitir. An act of political protest renders opening salvo nonsensical. An act of political protest, peacefully conducted, does no such thing as demonstrate negativity of character. Your entire post is self-serving to your particular political perspective, in my view.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:An act of political protest renders #2 above a non sequitir. An act of political protest renders opening salvo nonsensical. An act of political protest, peacefully conducted, does no such thing as demonstrate negativity of character. Your entire post is self-serving to your particular political perspective, in my view.

:hilarious: Whereas your posts are as sterile and stoic as the writings of Plato.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:An act of political protest renders #2 above a non sequitir (love that cartoon). An act of political protest renders opening salvo nonsensical. An act of political protest, peacefully conducted, does no such thing as demonstrate negativity of character. Your entire post is self-serving to your particular political perspective, in my view.

demonstrate negativity of character- At a university where you SHOULD be exposed to alternative points of views, it demonstrate negativity of character. At a Catholic private University where the speaker is a Catholic and you disrespect him for his believes -demonstrate negativity of character.
nky Wrote:demonstrate negativity of character- At a university where you SHOULD be exposed to alternative points of views, it demonstrate negativity of character. At a Catholic private University where the speaker is a Catholic and you disrespect him for his believes -demonstrate negativity of character.

An act of peaceful protest directed at a political figure, no matter the flavor, is as American as it gets. Had a group of rightist Jewish-Americans walked out on an Obama speech, would you, TRT, be holding your line? I would be. Again, peaceful protest of a political figure, of the government, of the courts is as American as it gets. Over, and over, and over, "Patti Partisan" applies.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:An act of peaceful protest directed at a political figure, no matter the flavor, is as American as it gets. Had a group of rightist Jewish-Americans walked out on an Obama speech, would you, TRT, be holding your line? I would be. Again, peaceful protest of a political figure, of the government, of the courts is as American as it gets. Over, and over, and over, "Patti Partisan" applies.

Time and Place- not the time nor the place. Protest out side the venue not disrupt others showing respect. But I guess some opinions are more "special" than others
nky Wrote:Time and Place- not the time nor the place. Protest out side the venue not disrupt others showing respect. But I guess some opinions are more "special" than others

Ah, "time and place." I see.

"Well, I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And if I can find the time and place, I will always be."
I'm still trying to figure out how one can be Catholic and part of the lqbt community Confusednicker:
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:Ah, "time and place." I see.

"Well, I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And if I can find the time and place, I will always be."
You do know the university in question is a private institution
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:Ah, "time and place." I see.

So it's OK to spoil other's day of celebration and special accomplishment for your own misguided opinion?
nky Wrote:So it's OK to spoil other's day of celebration and special accomplishment for your own misguided opinion?

"Misguided opinion" is in the eye of the beholder. A small group of Americans walked out on a politician's speech as an act of political protest. Whether that politician be liberal or conservative or libertarian, it's quintessentially American.