Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have coaches gotten too soft??
I can remember when i played if you got a "T" you were jerked out of the game and ran your bum off at the next practice. I was at a game and saw 4 T's given and the coaches did nothing. Nothing! they did not take the kids out, did not talk to them,,,NOTHING.
As I was sitting there i could not help but wonder I am the only one who thinks coaches have gotten to soft. We need some coaches to step up and get discipline back. I have seen players yell at their coaches, cuss their teammates, and totally disrespect refs and frankly i'm sick of it.
We need to go back!
Some coaches are soft and others isnt. I do know what your talkin about, because it has changed but there is still some coaches who will punish you if you get Technicals.
Alot of coaches do let their players run over them, and once they do it and get away with it, they will do it again and again and again. And apparently the coaches that let this happen have never heard of the word "discipline" in their life. If a player of mine did receive a T or said something unacceptable to a referee or myself(If I was a coach that is) I would make that player(s) set down right beside me on the bench, talk to them about it in a pleasurable manner, then run them so they will learn their lesson not to do it next time, but thats just me. But yeah I have definitely noticed that coaches have been getting pretty soft as of late and they dont show alot of discipline towards their players with the exception of a few coaches out there.
stupid thread because more goes on then you can see from the stands and If you do not coach then do not act like you would do something different until in their situatrion
meganwillis10 Wrote:stupid thread because more goes on then you can see from the stands and If you do not coach then do not act like you would do something different until in their situatrion

I agree with you, but at the same time, there are many coaches who do not discipline. There are also some who take it to an extreme, and both are not good. It has a lot to do with the school as well and the administration. If the school doesn't really put forth a great effort and interest in athletics, then they don't prioritize who they choose as their coaches. Therefore they just fill a position with anyone they can. I would bet too that these certain schools not only have a discipline problem on their basketball team, but probably have quite a few within the school. When the school system becomes more about making money than changing lives, then good things will be sacrificed such as discipline. I have seen many coaches who do not discipline nor seem to know a great deal about what they're coaching. Then there are some who know how to play their game, but cannot relate it to their players. Needless to say, if I could coach, my players would not even have a discussion with the officials. That would be my job. If they did have negative comments or a technical, then they would most definitely have my wrath. I would do it with respect in a way that they would know I want what is best for them, not to completely humiliate them. I think a coach should have a relationship with his players -- almost like a father and son relationship. A coach should want to build character into his players' lives, and in that he will be a successful coach, and also he will build a winning program year after year.
meganwillis10 Wrote:stupid thread because more goes on then you can see from the stands and If you do not coach then do not act like you would do something different until in their situatrion

Do you enojoy hating on me or something?
Parents have gotten to soft. If coaches could coach like they use to we would have less drama in the stands. I never received a tech my whole career and would have never thought about getting one. Coaches were the ones who got them.