Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Other HS (Head or Assistant)coaches, coaching your HS players in AAU?
I am just curious to know what peoples thoughts are when other High School coaches, that also coach AAU decide they want to coach your HS players in the summer and offseason via their AAU team.
I didn't think High School Coaches (Head or Assistant) were allowed to coach AAU teams.
Summer AAU Basketball is destorying other sports
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:I didn't think High School Coaches (Head or Assistant) were allowed to coach AAU teams.

If I'm not mistaken - as long as they don't coach a team with the same name, coach more than three of their players or do anything during dead period - they're good.
Too often used for recruiting, encouraging players to transfer to their school.
zaga_fan Wrote:If I'm not mistaken - as long as they don't coach a team with the same name, coach more than three of their players or do anything during dead period - they're good.

This is a huge gray area that the KHSAA refuses to address.
Baseball and Softball are the biggest culprits of illegal coaching in summer ball.
There is simply no way for them to track this. Might as well open it up completely.

AAU ball, like others have said, has destroyed the game IMO.
Not so much around here, as top level talent is few and far between as far as D1 goes, but I would assume in our lifetime, we will see the end of high school basketball and baseball as we know it. The good players will only play AAU in the summer while college coaches can get out and recruit.
The only players that will continue playing high school ball will be players with no chance of ever obtaining a scholarship.

Money will also change hands like crazy.
In my honest opinion (and I know it's not worth much). They need to get rid of the off-season games. Allow out-of-season practices, but must be with your school and your coaches only. For ALL sports.
What's so wrong with AAU? It allows kids to play with other players they don't usually get to play with? Summer Ball helps teams more than "Out of season practice" does for sure.
I honestly dont even know why so many of you even care. At least when kids are out playing ball and being part of something, they are not on drugs, on the streets, stealing, and who knows what. This is the USA, not Russia. We can go play ball for whoever we want. Its sports guys. Not life or death. Everyone doesnt want to play 3 sports. Wished I'd only tried to play 2 all my life instead of 3 and 4. May been a lot better and probably healthier as well at my old age.
People do not want kids getting better than their kids plain and simple! Worry about your kids and not someone else's! AAU is no different than fall baseball, volleyball travel teams or travel softball.
zaga_fan Wrote:If I'm not mistaken - as long as they don't coach a team with the same name, coach more than three of their players or do anything during dead period - they're good.

From the last day of school (or June 1, whichever comes first) until the first day of school the following year girl's Coaches can coach as many of their own players as they want, play as many games, etc., except for the dead period when they can do NOTHING, (except watch if they are a parent). Boy's coaches can do this also up until July 1, then they can only have workouts, cannot play against other teams.