Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th region Super Regional
By a vote of 9 - 8 Tuesday the 15th region will be a Super Region just for boys and girls basketball in 17 - 18. This means that every team in the 15th region will make the regional tournament. However the format on how, the renevue sharing and the venue will be decided at another meeting. So let hear about thoughts like or dislike.
How did the vote breakdown
Great make it where everyone gets a participation trophy also
I like this way i think every region should be like this
theprez Wrote:Great make it where everyone gets a participation trophy also

No.... I do agree this sounds like something text book for the "everybody gets a trophy" mindset, but it is far from that.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
It is happening 100% positive... Boys & Girls Basketball, Baseball and Softball.

But the host locations and how it will be seeded is TBA.

There's supposed to be a meeting of the minds again in a few weeks to determine the host locations and the seeding criteria.
it is just for boys and boys basketball only
How can people vote or support something without knowing how exactly things will work? Common sense and simple logic suggest that the so so-called " Super Region" seeding, venues, and other logistics be presented before its voted on. Looks like it not very popular with whomever voted either. 9-8 is only a simple majority. Once heard someone say, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
So is there going to be district tournaments? Because there is no point in them.
Thirsty Dog Wrote:How can people vote or support something without knowing how exactly things will work? Common sense and simple logic suggest that the so so-called " Super Region" seeding, venues, and other logistics be presented before its voted on. Looks like it not very popular with whomever voted either. 9-8 is only a simple majority. Once heard someone say, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

When the 15th region schools initially voted on this, seeding criteria was agreed upon. From what I was told, J. Tackett and B. Cope from the KHSAA was in attendance at the last meeting on Tuesday and interjected their opinions on this issue.

Basketball may or may not loose a week of the regular season to accommodate the games and schedule needed for the Super Regional setup.

One school representative suggested this idea, which seems to be the most logical of what was brought up so far.

Have one representative from each district (57th, 58th, 59th and 60th) draw out a letter, either A, B, C or D. This would determine who plays who and where the games would be played.

Example:
57th draws A.
58th draws C.
59th draws D.
60th draws B.

From there, there would be another drawing for what district plays the other district. (A plays C, D plays B)

The District champions and Runners-Up would host the first round games at their high school.

A1 would play C4 @ A1.
A2 would play C3 @ A2.
C2 would play A3 @ C2.
C1 would play A4 @ C1.

D1 would play B4 @ D1.
D2 would play B3 @ D2.
B2 would play D3 @ B2.
B1 would play D4 @ B1.

The eight winning teams of the first round games would advance to the Expo center for a traditional 8 team bracket.
Spud6 Wrote:So is there going to be district tournaments? Because there is no point in them.

Wrong. District tournaments would determine seeding (see my post above)

There would be a District championship game like we have now, but there would also be a 3rd/4th place game for seeding purposes.
what's the point of this super regional? I understand some districts have 3 teams but I can't see why they'd still play a district tournament . What am I missing ?
Conductor Wrote:what's the point of this super regional? I understand some districts have 3 teams but I can't see why they'd still play a district tournament . What am I missing ?

Every district in the 15th Region has 4 teams.
Jed Clampett Wrote:By a vote of 9 - 8 Tuesday the 15th region will be a Super Region just for boys and girls basketball in 17 - 18. This means that every team in the 15th region will make the regional tournament. However the format on how, the renevue sharing and the venue will be decided at another meeting. So let hear about thoughts like or dislike.

Ok. I sometimes have fuzzy math. Here are the 16 teams for 17-18:
1. Pikeville
2. Floyd Central
3. Johnson Central
4. Paintsville
5. Shelby Valley
6. Lawrence County
7. Belfry
8. Sheldon Clark
9. Phelps
10. Pike Central
11. Magoffin County
12. East Ridge
13. Betsy Layne
14. Prestonsburg
15. Jenkins
16. Piarist

The vote was 9-8. That's 17. Who is the mystery vote that carried the motion?
Prolly SF and ac b4 consolidation
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Ok. I sometimes have fuzzy math. Here are the 16 teams for 17-18:
1. Pikeville
2. Floyd Central
3. Johnson Central
4. Paintsville
5. Shelby Valley
6. Lawrence County
7. Belfry
8. Sheldon Clark
9. Phelps
10. Pike Central
11. Magoffin County
12. East Ridge
13. Betsy Layne
14. Prestonsburg
15. Jenkins
16. Piarist

The vote was 9-8. That's 17. Who is the mystery vote that carried the motion?
I wonder did they include Allen Central and Floyd County both which would make 17? Maybe?
This will most likely be for only for one year. They were informed defore the vote that the KHSAA will be moving the Boys state tournament back earlier in March to get them away from the NCAA tournament and schools will lose a week of basketball season. This means this region would lose two weeks of their season in the future. The committee has not yet come up with a plan of how this will work. There have been options presented and discussed, but none of those have been agreed on by members schools. The vote was tied and then the chairman of the Super Regional committee broke the tie. So, technically one school had two votes. This is getting to be a pretty hard sell if all achools are not on board. Something this drastic should be almost unanimous, for sure more than a simple majority.