Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County vs Scott 03/15/17 (Sweet Sixteen First Round)
Thoughts and Predictions :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Harlan County 31-3
Scott 21-12
It depends on which Harlan County team shows up. Will we see the Harlan County team that beat Knox Central on their home court and beat Corbin in the regional finals, or the team that was smacked around by Corbin twice and almost lost to Lynn Camp. I really think Harlan County is a solid favorite in this one. I am a bit concerned about Harlan County's relatively weak schedule. Their toughest games were against Perry Central, Corbin, South Laurel, Knox Central and North Laurel. However, after looking down Scott's schedule, it appears theirs was not much tougher, and when they did play tough teams they usually lost. I think Harlan County wins this one by 10-15 points and then meets Perry Central in the quarter finals.
Going with the Harlan County Black Bears :Cheerlead Rupp Arena get ready to meet Cameron Carmical and the Bears. :worthy:

Harlan County 70
Scott 64
rojas Wrote:It depends on which Harlan County team shows up. Will we see the Harlan County team that beat Knox Central on their home court and beat Corbin in the regional finals, or the team that was smacked around by Corbin twice and almost lost to Lynn Camp. I really think Harlan County is a solid favorite in this one. I am a bit concerned about Harlan County's relatively weak schedule. Their toughest games were against Perry Central, Corbin, South Laurel, Knox Central and North Laurel. However, after looking down Scott's schedule, it appears theirs was not much tougher, and when they did play tough teams they usually lost. I think Harlan County wins this one by 10-15 points and then meets Perry Central in the quarter finals.

They didn't play well in the earlier Corbin games and struggled at Bell County, but Lynn Camp played pretty well in the regional and HCHS missed shots they hit the next two nights.
Harlan County did beat three teams in the state tournament field though, so I think the schedule was pretty competitive. The John Hardin team they beat at East Jessamine was probably as good as anyone they played. They beat five teams that were ranked in the state's top 25 at one point (Perry, Knox, South, Corbin and North).
I hope you're right about the 10-15 points, but if you look at Cantrall then HCHS was a favorite by one-tenth of a point.
HCS Wrote:They didn't play well in the earlier Corbin games and struggled at Bell County, but Lynn Camp played pretty well in the regional and HCHS missed shots they hit the next two nights.
Harlan County did beat three teams in the state tournament field though, so I think the schedule was pretty competitive. The John Hardin team they beat at East Jessamine was probably as good as anyone they played. They beat five teams that were ranked in the state's top 25 at one point (Perry, Knox, South, Corbin and North).
I hope you're right about the 10-15 points, but if you look at Cantrall then HCHS was a favorite by one-tenth of a point.

Scott's Cantrall rating improved significantly after the district and regional tournaments, which tells me they are playing well now as is Harlan County. I think HCHS has this.
Both teams will probably have Rupp Arena jitters, after they both settle down it should be a pretty good game. Carmical has something really special going, if his supporting cast comes ready to play I like the Bears chances in this one.

HC 64
Scott 58
I think there's a couple of things at play here. First, don't be fooled by Scotts relativity pedestrian record. They are a really solid club and have a mr. Basketball candidate in Ohmer. Two, HC is peaking at the right time. I know a lot of folks aren't impressed with their schedule but they did beat all 7 regional tournament teams and 3 sweet 16 teams. That's not too bad. Last, Carmical is doing some really special things right now, Spurlock is scoring and defending well, Turner is doing all the little things, Creech has been a revelation in the regional, and Simmons is as athletic as they come. And it's all came together at the right time. Plus they have not only one of the regions best coaches but one of the states best in Michael Jones.

HC over Scott by 6. Bears advance to the Elite 8.
Had the pleasure of watching Scott play Lafayette in the Jock Sutherland at Lafayette. Honestly, I was not too impressed. They may be hitting their stride late in the season, but the team I watched play was one I did not expect to be at RUPP.

Key for Harlan Co. is obviously to limit Ohmer (easier said than done, this kid can play.) He currently averages 27.1 ppg and Scott's next leading scorer averages just 8.9. A pretty one dimensional team if you ask me...

If Harlan doesn't come to play, this could be a close one though.

Black Bears by 8!
Harlan County wins.... and we all hear Granny Bear let out squall from Rupp Arena on Wednesday night.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Looking forward to this one.

I'll be sitting with the Black Bears. Don't eat me.
Black Bears stopped Ohmer he seem to get in foul trouble in the 2 games I saw him this year against south Laurel. :popcorn:
Harln Co 61 Scott 55
Go Black Bears!!! All mountains, all the time!! I'll take em by 9!
Pulling for Harlan Co., as I do all mountain teams. But I have a bad feeling. Scott 58 Harlan Co. 51.