Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County 2017/18
Engineers had one of it's best seasons in school history, winning 20+ games for the first time since 1992. Engineers return 4/5 starters including guards Caleb Bonny and Joe Benton along with the twin towers Lane Doty and Andrew Doty. Not to mention, Estill has a solid 8th grade team coming in.

How will the Engineers fair next season?

Dec. 5th @ Rockcastle County (Boy/Girl DH)
Dec. 11th @ Madison Southern (unless something changes)
Dec. 28-30 Bath County Invitational
Jan. 5th @ Jackson County
Jan. 9th @ Garrard County
Jan. 12th vs. Powell County
Jan. 16th vs. Montgomery County
Jan. 20th @ Letcher Central
Jan. 30th @ Buckhorn
Feb. 2nd @ Powell County
Feb. 6th vs. Breathitt County
Feb. 16th @ Hazard
Estill will be one of the toughest teams next season. Them, Wolfe and Knott will probably be the best in the region
From the rumor mill, Berea may not be on it either...
Equally Wrote:Estill will be one of the toughest teams next season. Them, Wolfe and Knott will probably be the best in the region

Wolfe County should be pretty strong next year as well. After winning 39 games the last 2 seasons they will be returning 4 starters off of this season's team.
Deven Stone
Shaun Lindon
Jacob King
Jarrett White

And 2 of their top 4 bench guys in
Nathan Landsaw
Jazz Johnson

Should be a good season for both Wolfe and Estill.

Powell will have to try and rebuild after losing Their entire Starting lineup and a ton of scoring with Austin Napier leaving. But they have a very good JV team to build around.

I look for Breathitt County to be pretty good next season as well. They lose 3 starters but will return 5 of their top 8 kids.

Should make for some pretty good basketball on this end of the Region.
Will be interested to see what Perry and Cordia do on the recruiting trail. Cordia loses Henry which is a big hit cause of his size is hard to replace and Perry could lose their whole starting 5 if Back leaves which I think he will if they don't bring 2 or 3 players in this summer. I hope no teams bring in any recruits but don't see that happening.
I would say that (before recruiting season begins) Estill would have to be considered the pre-season favorite in the 14th Region. Bonny is a really good scorer and Benton is a solid PG plus they have some size. It seems like everyone else, except Wolfe, loses bulk of their players for next year. Knott still has Caudill and Cameron Jones back so that is plenty enough to make them a contender next year I think. Wolfe has the best shooter in region back (Stone) and most of their scoring, Jazz Johnson was just an 8th grader this year and I hear the coaches are really high on him and think he could be an impact player in region next year as a frosh. Cordia also has lost Ramonda Mercado I think, as he apparently left to go back home (not sure where that is but its in another state). I would really like to see a season in the 14th where teams just played the players they have locally and didn't recruit new kids in , that would be a welcome change.
@ Hazard Feb 16
I think Estill will play South Laurel in the Bobby Keith Classic
ky playmaker Wrote:I think Estill will play South Laurel in the Bobby Keith Classic

So Estill is participating in the Bobby Keith Classic?
Hearing Estill could be playing probably a top 5 team from the 10th region this coming season...
Rockcastle County is on it but the date and location is TBD....Also hearing it's possible that George Rogers Clark could be on it
GRC was on the schedule for years after Estill left the 10th region, and I believe they should still be on it. Thats how teams get better, playing teams that will challenge you and most likely beat you. Who cares about record? It is about getting your team ready for postseason play. Not going to get any better if you play schools like Berea and Model year in and year out. Throw the record out the window and play a few games against schools like GRC or Montgomery. Play some of the 10th region or 11th region talent. I am not saying go schedule a Scott County or anything like that, but those regions are tougher than the 14th from top to bottom. Go play some of the mid level teams in those regions and its like playing against PCC or KCC night in and night out. Your team will be better for it.
Estill is @ Rockcastle on Dec. 5th for a Boy/Girl DH
Estill is the front runner in the 14th next year IMO! Best player in Bonny and a good coach in Bentley, as well as great supporting players.
Jan. 16th Montgomery County @ Estill County
11/28 @ Somerset
12/1 @ Madison Southern
12/5 @ Rockcastle County
12/8 @ Jackson County
12/9 Harlan County (@ Jackson County PRTC Classic)
12/12 Owsley County
12/16 South Laurel (@ Clay County Bobby Keith classic)
12/19 @ Wolfe County
12/22-23 KY Bank Challenge @ Rowan County
12/28-30 Bath County Invitational
1/5 Lee County
1/6 Jackson City Showcase
1/9 @ Garrard county
1/12 Powell County
1/13 Western Hills (@ Frankfort DMD Classic)
1/16 Montgomery County
1/18 @ Owsley County
1/20 Letcher Central
1/23 @ Lee County
1/30 @ Buckhorn
2/2 @ Powell County
2/6 Breathitt County
2/10 Wolfe County
2/13 Menifee County (Senior night)
2/16 @ Hazard
I wish you luck Hazard has a 6'9 kid and a 7 footer coming one already there.
What will they have?
Probably has the most coming back and will have a great team. They still need to show they can beat teams from the other end of the region though, and prove they are a contender.
Fleming County has been added to Estill's schedule. Jan 25th in Irvine. The Panthers are either replacing the away game with East Carter or the Jackson City Prep Showcase that Estill had to drop out of due to the 14th Region All "A"