Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield faithful, thoughts on Morris?
Just interested in hearing your thoughts on Morris' consideration of a different job. I understand you being quiet recently, but since he has apparently turned it down what do you think his current line of thinking is.
Is he looking for a move, soon-or in the near future-???
How anybody can blame him (or anybody for that fact) for looking into a job possibility that truly had the chance of bettering his family is beyond me.

...just to get that out there.
I know McCracken thinks they are too good but Mayfield also has some high quality assistant coaches that I'm sure they could get at a discount. Unfortunately, I'm sure they think they are too good for any of the other coaches in WK.
I still say they are going to have a hard time catching the type of fish they think they can hook. This Morris' thing had wheels, but it was also because of him being eligible to retire thus being able to "double dip" a bit and fatten the pockets.
Never heard anyone was thinking McCracken was "too good", but have heard for sure that Mayfield had 6 or 7 of the best coaches ever.
blue55 Wrote:Never heard anyone was thinking McCracken was "too good", but have heard for sure that Mayfield had 6 or 7 of the best coaches ever.

Better than anything Tilghman has had lately
Morris would have been nuts not to take a look at McCracken if the money was so much more substantial as rumored. I think we will see him move on so he can secure his retirement security in a few years and there is no way anyone can blame him. No different for any one of us and we should be thankful he opted to forgo the raise this time but its only a matter of time in my opinion he has to put family first at some point.

Had he gone though I think Mayfield would have been just fine with the likely elevation of Dew or Hatchell to head coach.

Regardless, Mayfield has been the model of coaching consistency, there have only been 5 coaches in the program since 1958 and it might be even more impressive but that is as far back as I know of. I am unsure who coached prior to Rains taking the Cards job in 1958
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Morris would have been nuts not to take a look at McCracken if the money was so much more substantial as rumored. I think we will see him move on so he can secure his retirement security in a few years and there is no way anyone can blame him. No different for any one of us and we should be thankful he opted to forgo the raise this time but its only a matter of time in my opinion he has to put family first at some point.

Had he gone though I think Mayfield would have been just fine with the likely elevation of Dew or Hatchell to head coach.

Regardless, Mayfield has been the model of coaching consistency, there have only been 5 coaches in the program since 1958 and it might be even more impressive but that is as far back as I know of. I am unsure who coached prior to Rains taking the Cards job in 1958

Thanks for a level-headed reply on a straight forward question.
How many years does Morris have teaching in KY now?
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Better than anything Tilghman has had lately

That reminds of something I heard children say on the playground before,
Nanny-nanny goo-goo
truebluefan89 Wrote:Thanks for a level-headed reply on a straight forward question.
How many years does Morris have teaching in KY now?

If this year is "it"; it's either 27 or 30 (maybe 35, but I don't think he is that old). 27 is the year you officially can, 30 bumps it up and 35 maxes it out...past 35 years and you are more or less working for free (or in some cases losing money by working).
Morris is about one year younger than me, so he's 50 or 51. He likely doesn't quite have 30 years in just yet.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Morris is about one year younger than me, so he's 50 or 51. He likely doesn't quite have 30 years in just yet.

27 it is then.
Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
blue55 Wrote:Never heard anyone was thinking McCracken was "too good", but have heard for sure that Mayfield had 6 or 7 of the best coaches ever.

Sounds like something I heard children say on the play ground before.

Nanny nanny goo goo
Joe is 51, he graduated in 84, but he was held back/stayed back in the 8th grade
Here is my thoughts on the matter, for what it's worth.

First, I believe the double dip thing could not happen and it is probably a big factor in the decision not to go. I say that because, I too am in the Ky retirement system. There was a law passed several years back that changed things. In order to draw one's retirement now, they have to retire and then wait I think either 60 or 90 days before being offered another job. If they retire and have already been offered a job, that they intend to take, they cannot draw the retirement.

That means he would have been living just off the pay that McCracken was offering, until such time as he retires.

The other thing is, I understand they wanted a package deal with Coach Dew going as well. I think the package would have had to have been special for him as well. I think that could have weighed in some on the decision.

Now, as far as someone mentioned, it only being a matter of time, I disagree. I think Coach Joe will retire from Mayfield and be retired for at least a year before he decides to go anywhere. For the simple reasons stated above and because of his own heart.

I say that because Coach Joe is a Mayfield Cardinal through and through. He grew up with heros, such as his father, wearing the red and black. He has been in the locker rooms since his is old enough to remember. He would not want to tarnish his image with Mayfield or his families image. I don't think anyone would blame him for bettering himself, but, I think he would. I think he would feel as though he had tarnished the golden image of himself and that means more than any amount of money.

Now, Murray State has offered and so has McCracken Co, so, if he turned those jobs down, why would he go anywhere in Ky?
Didnt know Murray State offered him.What job did they offer he would be an upgrade to their football team but hopefully he stays a Cardinal.
It's my understanding they offered him the head coaching job several years ago. There was a lot of talk around here about that. I really think he will retire as a Mayfield Cardinal. He started life as a Mayfield fan. Became one of the Mayfield High School heros and now the head of the program. His dad has the facility named after him. I suspect that one day, they may have a statue of him or name the field or stadium after him.