Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starn's returning next season???
Will Starn's return to lead JC next year or will they be looking for a new coach??
I believe JC needs to start looking for another coach. He seems as if he doesn't want to be there.
The question is who would want it right now?
They don't need to look anywhere, they got one of the best young coaches in the state sittin on their bench in Tommy McKenzie.
I think Randy Ward should be the next coach. He is really intelligent and has a good mind for the game i think he would turn them around next year.!
He will go unless there is a caoch change
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:I think Randy Ward should be the next coach. He is really intelligent and has a good mind for the game i think he would turn them around next year.!

He is on the bench now. Started out the season on the radio. Who knows?
If Starns comes back great and if he does not I think Tommy would make a fine coach.I also know you have Coach Rice who has been in the system for a long time.So how would you decide which one to take if the time ever comes to pick a new coach?IMO either of them would be a solid pick to take over and lead a team. I just don't know if it could be done without causing hard feelings and leading to maybe bigger problems within their basketball team!
I dont think he will be back as coach next year. I have heard everything from him going to Morehead or Pikeville College. As for the next coach if he leaves, I dont have a clue as to who it should or will be. Maybe instead of picking between the two mentioned in here, they should get another new coach to avoid any problems between the assistant coaches.
I hope and pray that Coach Starns will return next year. I wouldn't blame him if he left but I believe that if the boys will rally around him and start acting like a team instead of a bunch of boys who hate each other and are forced to play together then you will have a whole new outcome to this District and possibly even the region.

Coach Starns is a great coach and he knows the game....not everyone in Johnson County is against Coach Starns. I for one hope he stays!

We believe in you, Coach!
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:I think Randy Ward should be the next coach. He is really intelligent and has a good mind for the game i think he would turn them around next year.!
:thatsfunn you cant be serious
The Fan Wrote::thatsfunn you cant be serious

HAHA, he might be
It wouldn't surprise me to see Coach Starns leave.
No way Tommy Mckenzie is ready to be a head coach. He is a great guy, one the nicest ever, but not ready YET. yes someday but not yet. imo.

I heard JR Hammonds was going to be a central next year, i dont believe it but thats what I heard.

Was also told that coach Hall had to get in the regional finals in baseball this year or the job was going to be offerred to his brother. Better play some Eagle Ball boys. Again, i find it hard to believe but thats what an "insider" told me!
jOHn:316 Wrote:No way Tommy Mckenzie is ready to be a head coach. He is a great guy, one the nicest ever, but not ready YET. yes someday but not yet. imo.

I heard JR Hammonds was going to be a central next year, i dont believe it but thats what I heard.

Was also told that coach Hall had to get in the regional finals in baseball this year or the job was going to be offerred to his brother. Better play some Eagle Ball boys. Again, i find it hard to believe but thats what an "insider" told me!

False, false and false! JR will not be the next coach, don't be suprised if you see Mike Castle take over for 1-2 years in order for McKenzie to gain more experience. Also, don't be suprised if McKenzie is thrown to the wolves!
jOHn:316 Wrote:No way Tommy Mckenzie is ready to be a head coach. He is a great guy, one the nicest ever, but not ready YET. yes someday but not yet. imo.

Need to start listening to other sources. Not a chance.
IMO. I don't think Starns will return. Mike Castle would be a great coach until Tommy got ready for the job. I hope they don't throw Tommy to the wolves!!!!!!! and I hope the Eagles makes it to Rupp again this year . Go play eagles like you did against Paintsville and maybe you will !!!
Mike Castle could not get the job done 15 years ago. JC needs to get rid of the good ole boy system. Yes I know coach Castle won a rgional title in '85. but i use to be able to run a 4.4 40 and bench press 325 lbs. but just like the ole gray mare, I aint what I use to be. There comes a time a to pass the torch. Tommy is an awesome guy. Give him the middle school job for a year or two. But all of this could be for not, as Starns may just wanna stay.
Any way with Team Turmoil anything is possible
cardsfan Wrote:If Starns comes back great and if he does not I think Tommy would make a fine coach.I also know you have Coach Rice who has been in the system for a long time.So how would you decide which one to take if the time ever comes to pick a new coach?IMO either of them would be a solid pick to take over and lead a team. I just don't know if it could be done without causing hard feelings and leading to maybe bigger problems within their basketball team!

I remember the days when his dad was on that bench. Great Man just like Darren!
jOHn:316 Wrote:Mike Castle could not get the job done 15 years ago. JC needs to get rid of the good ole boy system. Yes I know coach Castle won a rgional title in '85. but i use to be able to run a 4.4 40 and bench press 325 lbs. but just like the ole gray mare, I aint what I use to be. There comes a time a to pass the torch. Tommy is an awesome guy. Give him the middle school job for a year or two. But all of this could be for not, as Starns may just wanna stay.
Any way with Team Turmoil anything is possible
Actually Castle won a regional title in '84. Perhaps you should start checking with your "inside sources" a little closer before you start to post some of this stuff.

It would be ridiculous to send Tommy to the middle school. The middle school game and the high school game do not even come close to resembling one another. They are light years apart. Tommy already has 4 years of varsity assistant experience under his belt. Why would you send him back to the minor leagues? That would prepare him exactly "zilch" to coach a high school team. Not saying who should or who should not get the job if Starns leaves, but in my opinion what you just proposed is utterly ridiculous.
Tommy needs to earn his strips the hard way!!!!
This is all moot and a bit premature don't you think? Coach Starns will be back next year. Wait and see....
good point!!!!!!!!!
I'll tell what is ridiculous paying almost $4.00 for a gallon of milk is ridiculous.
I agree that the middle school and the high school game are light years apart, but so is being a head coach vs an asst. coach. IMO he aint ready!

Id love to see them go after Bart Williams if Starns does leave
jOHn:316 Wrote:I'll tell what is ridiculous paying almost $4.00 for a gallon of milk is ridiculous.
I agree that the middle school and the high school game are light years apart, but so is being a head coach vs an asst. coach. IMO he aint ready!

So is $3.00 a gallon diesel fuel, $2.00 loaves of bread, and $1,200 a month health insurance premiums, but that dont have much to do with this conversation.

Maybe he's ready, maybe he's not. I'm not saying either way, but to say to send him to the middle school to get experience just doesn't make much sense.
I was saying that he would get HEAD COACHING experience at the middle school. Meaning that he would be the one who calls the shots. Have you ever seen an asst. coaches name in the paper getting blamed for a loss.
Your right it is a totally different game. and i usually dont make much sense, and usually agree with a lot of your post. However, he aint ready! and i know your did not directly say he was, but its obvious to me that your pulling for him.

Really i could not care less who they get, i would not be shocked if Starns was there next year
jOHn:316 Wrote:I was saying that he would get HEAD COACHING experience at the middle school. Meaning that he would be the one who calls the shots. Have you ever seen an asst. coaches name in the paper getting blamed for a loss.
Your right it is a totally different game. and i usually dont make much sense, and usually agree with a lot of your post. However, he aint ready! and i know your did not directly say he was, but its obvious to me that your pulling for him.

Really i could not care less who they get, i would not be shocked if Starns was there next year
I am not saying that you are wrong at all, you may be totally right, I don't know that I am qualified to make such a determination, and your right all of this talk is probably premature to begin with.

As far as calling the shots he has been doing that for the last four years at the freshman and JV levels. That to me, is more educational than at the middle school. It may not be head coach varsity experience, but it's far better than middle school experience. If you take anything I saw as pulling for anyone, then you are misreading me. I like Tommy a lot, but I also like all of the rest of the staff as well. I think they are all great guys. Johnson Central is very blessed in that department.
Great post, i can feel the love!
Coach Starns is a great coach and if JC makes a foolish decision and allows him to leave, then they let a great thing go. I for one would not blame the man for wanting to leave after the way things outside of what he could control have been handled but I hope that he will give it another shot cause he is a strong leader and will make this boys great basketball players and young men.
jOHn:316 Wrote:I'll tell what is ridiculous paying almost $4.00 for a gallon of milk is ridiculous.

I don't know if Bart would leave Pikeville and come to JC, but he might. I know that Pikeville does not support basketball the way that Bart would like them to. The A.D. doesn't support Bart because he didn't want him hired, but the A.D doesn't have many supporters and is on his way out.
However, Mark Starns is the perfect fit for JC. A great coach, a great person, and maybe more importantly, an outsider. If the people in Johnson County let him do his job he will have a great career there with many trips to Rupp!!!