Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things are much different now arnt they
Not saying better or worse but different..growing up we played basketball day. Day in and day out..Even during the winter when we could..During season we would leave practice and go straight to the court across from the gym and play after practice..Played with the same guys for years..
Now that my little boy is starting to play sports its so much different than it use to be..Kids jump from one school to the other often, play in different leagues in different towns with different kids..
It seems a team is never together for more than a season or two tops..Where once you played with the same guys for many years..
Seems to be a lot of competing activities now. Many kids jump from one sport to the next and try to master 3-4 instead of focusing on one..A lot of kids I saw last fall were playing two sports at the same time in different leagues..
again not saying its good or bad but what impact do you think this kind of athlete has had on our basketball teams, f any at all?
Kids should be encouraged to play as many sports as possible while younger. Thhey can specialize later if it becomes apparent they can pay for college with one of them.
Only 3% will play any kind of college ball. So play as many as you can. I don't like all the transferring . If they would just make them sit out a year when they transfer it would stop a great deal of it.
Your big time college and professional athletes were multi -sport stars
NM
I coached basketball for many many years. When I first started, all the school had was an outdoor asphalt court. I remember a lot of times when we would surround the court with cars so that we could light up the court for foul shots after practice.

So yeah, it's different!

Wink
Granny 😳. We know they didn't have cars back when you coached!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I coached basketball for many many years. When I first started, all the school had was an outdoor asphalt court. I remember a lot of times when we would surround the court with cars so that we could light up the court for foul shots after practice.

So yeah, it's different!

Wink

Those old gyms had a certain smell didn't they..Kinda like barnwood, wax and popcorn salt..
stripedofficial Wrote:Kids should be encouraged to play as many sports as possible while younger. Thhey can specialize later if it becomes apparent they can pay for college with one of them.

Mine is playing two sports now. Not saying its a bad thing, just different than it use to be:Thumbs:
footballfever Wrote:Granny 😳. We know they didn't have cars back when you coached!!

To be honest, most of the vehicles were stick shift, so if someone forgot to put their E break on before they put the shift into neutral, they would jerk around all over the lot!! LOL That happened a time or two.

Blacksmith Wrote:Those old gyms had a certain smell didn't they..Kinda like barnwood, wax and popcorn salt..

Sweat socks and 13 year old farts is more like it!
Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Sweat socks and 13 year old farts is more like it!
Confusednicker:

Well, I only smelled what was off the court so the farts and 2 week old socks I was wearing went unnoticed :hilarious: Now that old locker room did have a certain fragrance that reminded me of our horse stalls in the barn Confusednicker: